• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 CGC 10.0

1,026 posts in this topic

"Despite the print runs, the 300 this is what I found out:

NM98. 3515 graded. 1058 are 9.8's. 33% of all submitted are 9.8's

1 in 3 submitted are going to be a 9.8.

ASM 300. 7334 graded. 459 are 9.8's

6% are 9.8

6 out of every 100 submitted are 9.8's.

What I find surprising is not the number of 9.8's the NM has, but the fact they've only graded 3515 of them. More than double for the 300? I didn't realize how few 9.8's there are as compared to NM. So, if there were the same amount of admissions, there would be 19 9.9's of the NM. Scary, considering how that 3515 is going to jump considerably during the movie hype months."

$$$And this was before the whole 10.0 thing happened.

-364 more copies of ASM 300 have been graded since May. 34 new 9.8's, and 1 9.9. 5-6% higher than in May, and more than double the rate.

- Exactly 100 more copies of NM 98 graded 9.8 since May. Out of 444 new submissions. No 9.9's, and a 10.0

- So they're tougher on NM98's, and looser with the ASM 300's.$$$

-just some fun facts

If you're surprised by the lower percentage of 9.8 copies of ASM 300, remember the production issues that book had. The badly cut right side on the front cover kept a ton of copies out of 9.8 range.

Also, ASM #300 is still worth the expense to grade in 9.4 and above; NM #98 is only worth it in 9.6 and above, so I think naturally, there would be more submissions and a lower average grade for ASM #300.

I thought this too. But it isn't true. All the way down to 7.5 NM 98 and ASM 300 are close in price.

"Despite the print runs, the 300 this is what I found out:

NM98. 3515 graded. 1058 are 9.8's. 33% of all submitted are 9.8's

1 in 3 submitted are going to be a 9.8.

ASM 300. 7334 graded. 459 are 9.8's

6% are 9.8

6 out of every 100 submitted are 9.8's.

What I find surprising is not the number of 9.8's the NM has, but the fact they've only graded 3515 of them. More than double for the 300? I didn't realize how few 9.8's there are as compared to NM. So, if there were the same amount of admissions, there would be 19 9.9's of the NM. Scary, considering how that 3515 is going to jump considerably during the movie hype months."

$$$And this was before the whole 10.0 thing happened.

-364 more copies of ASM 300 have been graded since May. 34 new 9.8's, and 1 9.9. 5-6% higher than in May, and more than double the rate.

- Exactly 100 more copies of NM 98 graded 9.8 since May. Out of 444 new submissions. No 9.9's, and a 10.0

- So they're tougher on NM98's, and looser with the ASM 300's.$$$

-just some fun facts

If you're surprised by the lower percentage of 9.8 copies of ASM 300, remember the production issues that book had. The badly cut right side on the front cover kept a ton of copies out of 9.8 range.

Also, ASM #300 is still worth the expense to grade in 9.4 and above; NM #98 is only worth it in 9.6 and above, so I think naturally, there would be more submissions and a lower average grade for ASM #300.

I thought this too. But it isn't true. All the way down to 7.5 NM 98 and ASM 300 are close in price.

ASM 300's are selling at close to $800 for 9.8's, and NM 98's are selling in the $375 range for 9.8's. That's a huge gap that closes slowly when you get to 9.6 and below.

Not sure if it was the attention the auction received but I popped my newly slabbed 9.8 on Ebay Wednesday night, got a bunch of offers and emails and it was sold by Thursday morning for well above GPA and paid for instantly. I love a good fervor when I am selling. lol

Not sure if it was the attention the auction received but I popped my newly slabbed 9.8 on Ebay Wednesday night, got a bunch of offers and emails and it was sold by Thursday morning for well above GPA and paid for instantly. I love a good fervor when I am selling. lol
It's been crazy like that for a while. I've sold probably 10 9.8's in the last few months, and every last one of them sold within a day. Absolute madness.

It's been crazy like that for a while. I've sold probably 10 9.8's in the last few months, and every last one of them sold within a day. Absolute madness.

When collector excitement is in play, it doesn't matter how many are in the census. People are going to buy, and pay what they must.

Gah I wish I could find my copy of NM 98. Thought I had sold it, found it two months ago, and now that I'd sell it.... can't find it again.

Gah I wish I could find my copy of NM 98. Thought I had sold it, found it two months ago, and now that I'd sell it.... can't find it again.

Do you live in a hedge maze? :D

Good luck finding it though. NM98 is great currency.

Thread necromance.... So, no new 10.0's. After that madness, I was certain there would be more of them. . Now here's a fun hypothetical.. two years ago, I was getting $350 for my NM98 9.8s. As of today, they're fetching $800-1000. With that crazy spike, and the mind bending performance of this book that just won't stop jumping in price no matter what the nay-sayers and census says, would the 10.0 fetch more money today then it did 2 years ago? A 9.9 just sold for over $7K, as compared to one that got dumped for half of that, also 2 years ago.

My opinion: I think it would sell for more than the $15.5 it sold for.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone spent $25k on a NM 98 10.0

I would be surprised if it sold for more than the 9.8 copy of Star Trek #1.

Now that was a really nutso :screwy: price that will come back to haunt the buyer.

That has to be a typo? 40K? That just can't be real. It can't.

Now that was a really nutso :screwy: price that will come back to haunt the buyer.

I just looked because I couldn't believe what I just read- 40.5k. To think, someone else was willing to pay 40k. :screwy: They would have to throw this one in the box with me because I wouldn't expect to see my money again.

I just looked because I couldn't believe what I just read- 40.5k. To think, someone else was willing to pay 40k. :screwy: They would have to throw this one in the box with me because I wouldn't expect to see my money again.

I had to go back and look to see of the auction ended on April 1st. I'm rarely shocked when I see some of the crazy prices books are getting these days, but a 9.8 Star Trek 1? Flabbergasted would be the best adjective I could muster. Maybe Shatner bought it? He could crack it out and SS it himself. Then sell it for 60K. hm