• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 CGC 10.0

1,026 posts in this topic

I have 4 laptops, 5 tablets, 2 desktop PCs, a 4k tv and every video game system ever made (with PS4 and Xbox one reserved) Suggestions for what other over the counter electronics I need?

:jokealert:

But seriously, this sale will bring NM 98 copies out of the woodwork. There will be another one, if you wait long enough.

Personally, I would take whatever you were willing to spend on the NM 98 and buy the highest graded Hulk 1 I could find. Or Daredevil 1, it has the widest growth margin of the mega keys right now.

Out of the woodwork. lol

That forest has been burning strong for years now.

actually nm 98s are still not represented proportionately. www.newmutants98.com

if you look at how many have been submitted its only half the amount of amaz sdrM 300 submitted. the amount of nm 98 copies sold had to be higher than spidy 300 which was also a more expensive cover price. Liefield had gained plenty of attention by issue 98 that people were hoarding multiple copies of that book. As it stands there are at least 3000 copies unsubmitted to reach Amaz SdpdrM 300s submission rate. That being said.....the tree is just getting sunlight

Wrong, there were MORE copies of ASM #300 sold than there were copies of NM #98. Liefeld was hot on New Mutants, but McFarlane had been much hotter leading into ASM 300.

Quick question: How far back chronologically do you have to go to find a higher price paid for a Marvel key? Iron Man #1?

Is this really the most expensive Marvel book since the Silver Age?

lol

Your post on Rob Liefeld's Twitter account (I checked to see if he mentioned the sale) surely was looking for a response.

:baiting:

But it is incredible how ASM 300 has leapfrogged Wolverine LS 1 for most submitted, as only a few years ago they were neck-and-neck.

• Amazing Spider-Man #300: 10 copies in 9.9, 0 copies in 10.0 out of 7700 copies graded.
  • Wolverine (1988) #1: 12 copies in 9.9, 1 copy in 10.0 out of 5100 copies graded.
  • Uncanny X-Men #266: 10 copies in 9.9, 0 copies in 10.0 out of 4200 graded.

Insanity. :eyeroll:

Yeah, I'm happy for Brian, but, I lost yet another bit of my little remaining faith in humanity with this result. :(

I also think the underbidder dodged a bullet and should cheer up!

Quick question: How far back chronologically do you have to go to find a higher price paid for a Marvel key? Iron Man #1?

Is this really the most expensive Marvel book since the Silver Age?

lol

Your post on Rob Liefeld's Twitter account (I checked to see if he mentioned the sale) surely was looking for a response.

:baiting:

But it is incredible how ASM 300 has leapfrogged Wolverine LS 1 for most submitted, as only a few years ago they were neck-and-neck.

• Amazing Spider-Man #300: 10 copies in 9.9, 0 copies in 10.0 out of 7700 copies graded.
  • Wolverine (1988) #1: 12 copies in 9.9, 1 copy in 10.0 out of 5100 copies graded.
  • Uncanny X-Men #266: 10 copies in 9.9, 0 copies in 10.0 out of 4200 graded.

This is a conversation I had with a knowledgable boardie in May...

"Yeah, Spidey #300 is higher. (Print run)

New Mutants was dying when Liefeld took over, so that #87 has been told to have a print run of about 110,000 for decades...it caught fire, but sluggishly, so by the time of #98, it was up around 200,000. The SOO bear this out. #95-97 got boosts because of Extinction, but #98 dropped right back down, so 200,000 is probably about right (which explains the prices...if it was 300-400,000, it would be worth much, much less...think X-Force #2, which is only worth $5 or so, because it had a print run of about 1,000,000.)

Spidey wasn't doing so hot, but it average 250,000 copies sold throughout the 80's. #300 would have been extra ordered because it was an anniversary, and those did better as a rule, so probably the print run is at 300,000.

The real disparity is in the high grades."

"Despite the print runs, the 300 this is what I found out:

NM98. 3515 graded. 1058 are 9.8's. 33% of all submitted are 9.8's

1 in 3 submitted are going to be a 9.8.

ASM 300. 7334 graded. 459 are 9.8's

6% are 9.8

6 out of every 100 submitted are 9.8's.

What I find surprising is not the number of 9.8's the NM has, but the fact they've only graded 3515 of them. More than double for the 300? I didn't realize how few 9.8's there are as compared to NM. So, if there were the same amount of admissions, there would be 19 9.9's of the NM. Scary, considering how that 3515 is going to jump considerably during the movie hype months."

$$$And this was before the whole 10.0 thing happened.

-364 more copies of ASM 300 have been graded since May. 34 new 9.8's, and 1 9.9. 5-6% higher than in May, and more than double the rate.

- Exactly 100 more copies of NM 98 graded 9.8 since May. Out of 444 new submissions. No 9.9's, and a 10.0

- So they're tougher on NM98's, and looser with the ASM 300's.$$$

-just some fun facts

Congrats Brian!!! (worship)(worship)(worship)

Pretty freaking amazing! Went for more than a 5.5 copy of Amazing Fantasy 15! CRAZY!!! :o

Our underbidder should take his money and look for another 5.5 AF15 with that $$.

Congrats Brian!!! (worship)(worship)(worship)

Pretty freaking amazing! Went for more than a 5.5 copy of Amazing Fantasy 15! CRAZY!!! :o

Our underbidder should take his money and look for another 5.5 AF15 with that $$.

Tell me about it!!!

Or at least a Pedigree 9.6 Avengers #3! :whistle:

lol

now that a price point has been established and the hype of a 10.0 over. Do you guys think the resale of this book will fetch more or less?

The final price isn't too far from the original 9.9