• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC...This is NOT okay.

251 posts in this topic

That was PGX.

No. I'm not referring to that fiasco. I'm referring to a cgc TMNT that was sold at auction back in 2011 (I think) where the book was actually a later (3rd?) print but was not noted as such on the slab. It sold for a record amount and the sleuths in the copper subforum noticed it first. If the search function actually worked effectively I could find the thread but it was discussed at length back then. It didn't get much fanfare b/c it was in a subforum. I do remember someone from CGC chimed in afterwards in the thread and made note that the winning bidder had been compensated.

I linked to the only post referencing CGC actions (that I saw) - but here's the thread if you want to check it out.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5523308Post5523308

That was it! Thank you for finding it!

So what happened to the book? And did the buyer actually got his money back?

No. I'm not referring to that fiasco. I'm referring to a cgc TMNT that was sold at auction back in 2011 (I think) where the book was actually a later (3rd?) print but was not noted as such on the slab. It sold for a record amount and the sleuths in the copper subforum noticed it first. If the search function actually worked effectively I could find the thread but it was discussed at length back then. It didn't get much fanfare b/c it was in a subforum. I do remember someone from CGC chimed in afterwards in the thread and made note that the winning bidder had been compensated.

I linked to the only post referencing CGC actions (that I saw) - but here's the thread if you want to check it out.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5523308Post5523308

If you read through the thread, it sounds like somehow CGC found a first print 9.8 and gave it to the buyer. There was never clarification on how they managed to find the 9.8 though...

If you read through the thread, it sounds like somehow CGC found a first print 9.8 and gave it to the buyer. There was never clarification on how they managed to find the 9.8 though...

They got it from PGX.

:insane:

They got it from PGX.

Since we are trading PGX stories I will relate this one. We have a member a Valiantfans.com who was trying to strike a deal with his LCS owner for a set of Harbinger pre-unity PGX slabs. He struck a deal for about what he would pay for them raw and I strongly suggested he crack and check them for coupons in front of the seller before completing the deal.

Only one of the books had the coupon present.

They got it from PGX.

Since we are trading PGX stories I will relate this one. We have a member a Valiantfans.com who was trying to strike a deal with his LCS owner for a set of Harbinger pre-unity PGX slabs. He struck a deal for about what he would pay for them raw and I strongly suggested he crack and check them for coupons in front of the seller before completing the deal.

That's why it's always better to buy the slab, not the book.

:o

Now that would have made me sick if I found this out later.

Just received it today. First of all, this book is in NO way shape, form an 8.0. I own a LOT of books, and an 8.0 isn't even in the realm of possibility with this book. Furthermore, How the HECK do you manage to get the book THAT far off center??? Nobody would ever even buy the book with the "beautiful" centering.

photo1-3_zpsb409c4df.jpg

photo2-5_zps1a3c1aad.jpg

photo3-2_zps8c7b3739.jpg

NEW photos.

DSC_2948_zps8543838f.jpg

DSC_2949_zpsf9ffbd5b.jpg

DSC_2950_zpsdf3cf743.jpg

Any updates on this one? Did CGC "make it right"?

That's not an 8.0 and is the reason I stopped subbing books to them. Look under the desk at CGC and find the bottle of Rum and there is your encapsulation bandit.

Can you elaborate, especially on the bolded part? I got a rare comic destroyed (a coaster stain was left on the book as if it were used as a food tray) and Mark Haspel emphatically denied the book was damaged by CGC, and he pretty much blew me off. I had a boardie here who is well-known and trusted by the community tell me in no uncertain terms that when the book left his hands and was submitted to CGC, that stain was not on the book.

My experience has been that CGC makes things right when they drop the ball. Sometimes you have to be very persistent.

Unoftunately, that wasn't my experience, despite having helped CGC in the past, and especially having assisted the very person who denied to accept any responsibility for destroying my comic.

My experience has been that CGC makes things right when they drop the ball. Sometimes you have to be very persistent.

Unoftunately, that wasn't my experience, despite having helped CGC in the past, and especially having assisted the very person who denied to accept any responsibility for destroying my comic.

Wow

CGC owes DrDoom a 9.8 8.0 SS Detective #880 signed by whomever it was that signed his book. That is the only way to make this right.

All IMHO, of course.

Fixed it for you :thumbsup:

To update this thread......CGC basically did nothing for me. They offered a press, and placed it into a new holder. They then refused to refund the shipping that they stated they would refund.

To update this thread......CGC basically did nothing for me. They offered a press, and placed it into a new holder. They then refused to refund the shipping that they stated they would refund.

One time I got a ASM 121 in a thick holder, I called them and told them about it and they told me to send it in for a new thinner holder and shipping was free, maybe you should of called them first before crying about it on the boards first (shrug)

That's not an 8.0 and is the reason I stopped subbing books to them. Look under the desk at CGC and find the bottle of Rum and there is your encapsulation bandit.

I don't know what is up lately but some of my usual 9.8 candidates have been hit hard with 9.4's and such. I know of others who have also had grades come back much lower than anticipated recently. :frustrated:

Or maybe it's just a way to get us to start buying the grader's notes more often. hm

I am super nervous about my latest submission but all I can really do is cross my fingers and hope that the cgc gods are in a good mood when they get my books. :wishluck:

Maybe cause you and the people you know can't grade? My last 3 submissions I slabbed 26 books in April and May, I went 24/26 on 9.8's. CGC looks good from my house.

Congrats on pulling your Peter Panzerfausts out of your pullbox and submitting them. (worship)

I haven't had a pull box since 1994

keep fighting! raise it up the chain of command!