• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 August 1 - 2 Heritage Comics Signature Auction

274 posts in this topic

I figured out why it went for so much lol

From the auction page:

Clowes, Daniel:. British painter 1774-1829

lol seriously?

The Dan Clowes Lloyd Llewelyn piece went for almost 50K which I would imagine is a new high for Clowes art.

I guess somebody really liked his retrospective in Chicago going on right now. :whatthe:

Everybody is going to be clamoring for Frazettas and underground art after this sale. lol

The Dan Clowes Lloyd Llewelyn piece went for almost 50K which I would imagine is a new high for Clowes art.

I guess somebody really liked his retrospective in Chicago going on right now. :whatthe:

Everybody is going to be clamoring for Frazettas and underground art after this sale. lol

I was expecting the inked Frazetta Playboy woman would go for more.

it's kind of modest compared to the buys i am reading about here but i got the perez unpublished jla/avengers page!

Congrats, I managed to bag a Mcfarlane ASM page for cheap.

Yes you did, the three McSpidey panels with him in costume went for cheap, well compared to some results over the last 12-18 months.

I am happy that I have the Heritage catalog as a keepsake. It has a wonderful fold out of the Minsky poster art inside. It's truly a wonderful window into that era of Frazetta work. I never realized how gorgeous he made each and every woman on that piece.

It's a fabulous piece - personally, I'd take it all day long over the Vampi cover, though, of course, a lot depends on what elements someone is looking for in a Frazetta painting.

The main thing going for the painting is that it`s huge. But it`s not what a person trying to get a "Frazetta" would typically be going for.

I was shocked when I saw what the reserve was for the Minsky`s, as I figured no way in hell it was going to get that much. In contrast, I wasn`t surprised at all by the final price of the Vampi cover, even if it`s not one of his top tier pieces and is surprisingly small. That`s exactly the kind of painting that a person trying to get a "Frazetta" is looking for.

It certainly does have it's charm. On the other hand, it may appeal to someone who doesn't want a typical Frazetta...... although from a pure aesthetics standpoint, a Famous Funnies cover would be very near the top of my list.... though probably not as prudent an investment as a Conan painting..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It certainly does have it's charm. On the other hand, it may appeal to someone who doesn't want a typical Frazetta.

Absolutely, just not for the kind of price the seller was looking for.

It certainly does have it's charm. On the other hand, it may appeal to someone who doesn't want a typical Frazetta.

Absolutely, just not for the kind of price the seller was looking for.

..... yes, Britt Ecklund would probably have to come with it..... in her prime, of course.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I guess only the high end stuff is worth talking about. No posts so far on the Ha auctions today. Anyone will pieces today?

You're probably right, it's too hard to talk about the midrange stuff.....after watching yesterday and today I have no idea what values are. But I will say that I was surprised a bit by the Kirby hero market, I was convinced it was ready to take a big jump up .....maybe there is just too much available.

I guess only the high end stuff is worth talking about. No posts so far on the Ha auctions today. Anyone will pieces today?

The price on the Balent Wizard cover is shocking. SHOCKING!!

I didn't notice that and prompted me to look it up.

All I can say is.. WOW!

Malvin

Ya considering its 3x what the wizard Deathblow Jim Lee wraparound cover went for.

I bid on one mid level piece and lost. Again. I almost never win at auctions anymore.

It occurred to me that there is meaning to this losing streak--my collection must be just about complete. Seriously. When I used to acquire pieces, I was very motivated to add to my collection and cost was no factor. I simply paid or bid whatever it would take. Brute force. Now, I try to only pay market value or slightly higher than market value and I not only lose, I pretty much get crushed. This tells me that not only are there highly motivated buyers out there but that I may no longer be one of them because I think I am pretty satisfied with what I have. Which is kind of sad because I THINK I really want to add to my collection BUT I can't seem to bring myself to set those new benchmarks to do so. Do I need to find a new hobby? God, I hope not.

Scott