• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 August 1 - 2 Heritage Comics Signature Auction

274 posts in this topic

Artwork I was watching

Neal Adams Green Lantern artwork seemed reasonable to me, a little lower than I expected overall.

Flash 117 cover was a strong price.$71,7000 with BP

Avengers 134 cover very strong at $41,825 with BP

McFarlane Hulk splash was lower than I expected. I know Hulk doesn't command the same price as Spiderman, but this was a nice image. I bid on it but was outdone pretty early. $3883.75 with BP

Green Lantern 84 splash by Adams and Wrightson. I was actually shocked at how low this was for quite a while but the final hammer was pretty decent. $22705 with BP

Jungle Action 6 cover. I was totally shocked at this one. I had a chance to buy it off eBay several years back but passed because it just didn't capture me. I can't remember for certain but it was somewhere between $1600 and $1800. Finally hammer was $4481.25

Daredevil 34 panel page. Now I don't collect panels, but I really wanted this one because it is from my favorite story arc in Daredevil. I set a limit for it but was blown out of the water. $4481.25 with BP. Really wish I had bought the splash from the same issue now...

Ironman 3 splash, lost it to but not a crazy price at $4481.25 with BP.

Really strong price for the Jack Davis Tale from the Crypt 44 cover. I love Jack Davis's work and really want to get something from him at some point. $44812.50 with BP

Overall, I would say pretty decent prices on stuff. It has become apparent to me that buying the stuff I like has now moved to the $4k on the low side to $6k meaning picking up one piece per year is about it for me. A lot of the stuff I really want is just to expensive for me to feel comfortable buying. Oh well, I will enjoy what I have and keep watching for something special I can afford.

I am happy that I have the Heritage catalog as a keepsake. It has a wonderful fold out of the Minsky poster art inside. It's truly a wonderful window into that era of Frazetta work. I never realized how gorgeous he made each and every woman on that piece.

It's a fabulous piece - personally, I'd take it all day long over the Vampi cover, though, of course, a lot depends on what elements someone is looking for in a Frazetta painting.

The main thing going for the painting is that it`s huge. But it`s not what a person trying to get a "Frazetta" would typically be going for.

I was shocked when I saw what the reserve was for the Minsky`s, as I figured no way in hell it was going to get that much. In contrast, I wasn`t surprised at all by the final price of the Vampi cover, even if it`s not one of his top tier pieces and is surprisingly small. That`s exactly the kind of painting that a person trying to get a "Frazetta" is looking for.

The Minsky's poster original is exquisite. I remember Russ Cochran offering it up for auction in the 1980s. It went unsold at, I think, a minimum bid of $10,000.

A small fortune back then - had I the funds at the time I would have jumped at it, as it certainly rates as one of my all-time-favourite Frazetta originals ( that I'd prefer to many of his more-famous fantasy paintings).

Well I got crushed on the Wally Wood A-Bomb story. I was hoping it would fall through the cracks since it wasn't Sci-Fi, but looks like everyone else saw how incredible it was also.

Artistically, that story was in the top 3-4 pieces in that entire auction. A masterpiece.

Well I got crushed on the Wally Wood A-Bomb story. I was hoping it would fall through the cracks since it wasn't Sci-Fi, but looks like everyone else saw how incredible it was also.

Artistically, that story was in the top 3-4 pieces in that entire auction. A masterpiece.

I'm a Cold War junkie with a soft spot for chiaroscuro. Not the biggest Wood fan in the world, but that one is hard to beat. My hat's off to the winner, and my fingers are crossed it becomes available again.

Artwork I was watching

Neal Adams Green Lantern artwork seemed reasonable to me, a little lower than I expected overall.

Flash 117 cover was a strong price.$71,7000 with BP

Avengers 134 cover very strong at $41,825 with BP

McFarlane Hulk splash was lower than I expected. I know Hulk doesn't command the same price as Spiderman, but this was a nice image. I bid on it but was outdone pretty early. $3883.75 with BP

Green Lantern 84 splash by Adams and Wrightson. I was actually shocked at how low this was for quite a while but the final hammer was pretty decent. $22705 with BP

Jungle Action 6 cover. I was totally shocked at this one. I had a chance to buy it off eBay several years back but passed because it just didn't capture me. I can't remember for certain but it was somewhere between $1600 and $1800. Finally hammer was $4481.25

Daredevil 34 panel page. Now I don't collect panels, but I really wanted this one because it is from my favorite story arc in Daredevil. I set a limit for it but was blown out of the water. $4481.25 with BP. Really wish I had bought the splash from the same issue now...

Ironman 3 splash, lost it to but not a crazy price at $4481.25 with BP.

Really strong price for the Jack Davis Tale from the Crypt 44 cover. I love Jack Davis's work and really want to get something from him at some point. $44812.50 with BP

Overall, I would say pretty decent prices on stuff. It has become apparent to me that buying the stuff I like has now moved to the $4k on the low side to $6k meaning picking up one piece per year is about it for me. A lot of the stuff I really want is just to expensive for me to feel comfortable buying. Oh well, I will enjoy what I have and keep watching for something special I can afford.

Just found the original email exchange on the Jungle Action 6 cover and the price was $1900.

I am happy that I have the Heritage catalog as a keepsake. It has a wonderful fold out of the Minsky poster art inside. It's truly a wonderful window into that era of Frazetta work. I never realized how gorgeous he made each and every woman on that piece.

It's a fabulous piece - personally, I'd take it all day long over the Vampi cover, though, of course, a lot depends on what elements someone is looking for in a Frazetta painting.

The main thing going for the painting is that it`s huge. But it`s not what a person trying to get a "Frazetta" would typically be going for.

I was shocked when I saw what the reserve was for the Minsky`s, as I figured no way in hell it was going to get that much. In contrast, I wasn`t surprised at all by the final price of the Vampi cover, even if it`s not one of his top tier pieces and is surprisingly small. That`s exactly the kind of painting that a person trying to get a "Frazetta" is looking for.

The Minsky's poster original is exquisite. I remember Russ Cochran offering it up for auction in the 1980s. It went unsold at, I think, a minimum bid of $10,000.

A small fortune back then - had I the funds at the time I would have jumped at it, as it certainly rates as one of my all-time-favourite Frazetta originals ( that I'd prefer to many of his more-famous fantasy paintings).

I`m not knocking the piece, just pointing out that it`s not the kind of Frazetta piece that is going to generate big bucks. The fact that you were not willing to pay the asking price then or now, despite your love for the piece, illustrates my point.

For $50K, it flies off the shelf. For $100K, not so much.

I`m not knocking the piece, just pointing out that it`s not the kind of Frazetta piece that is going to generate big bucks. The fact that you were not willing to pay the asking price then or now, despite your love for the piece, illustrates my point.

I agree the subject matter might hinder it from reaching reserve, but I think it's more of a "at $100k it flies off the shelf, at $250k it gets pulled from the auction" piece.

It's far larger than most Frazetta pieces. Image size is almost 29"x38", and it's got enough cheesecake, size and execution to garner more than one $100k buyer.

250K? Not so much.

I agree the subject matter might hinder it from reaching reserve, but I think it's more of a "at $100k it flies off the shelf, at $250k it gets pulled from the auction" piece.

It's far larger than most Frazetta pieces. Image size is almost 29"x38", and it's got enough cheesecake, size and execution to garner more than one $100k buyer.

250K? Not so much.

Maybe, but it didn`t trigger the reserve, which I seem to recall was around $110K, before it got pulled.

Also, it`s for a movie that no one really remembers or cares about. If it had been for a notable movie, especially a guy`s movie like Dirty Dozen or Magnificent Seven, then it could easily be a $200K+ piece.

250K? Not so much.

Maybe, but it didn`t trigger the reserve, which I seem to recall was around $110K, before it got pulled.

Also, it`s for a movie that no one really remembers or cares about. If it had been for a notable movie, especially a guy`s movie like Dirty Dozen or Magnificent Seven, then it could easily be a $200K+ piece.

For some reason I thought it was up over $100k when it was pulled but that the reserve was in excess of $200k. It's hard to remember now after tracking so many lots.

Artwork I was watching

I was watching that too, but I actually think the price is fair. I didn't like the Hulk Image. It doesn't scream McFarlane to me, if it was, I would have bid (I might not have won but I would have cost the winner a bit more)

Malvin

Artwork I was watching

I didn't like the Hulk Image. It doesn't scream McFarlane to me

Malvin

ditto

I guess only the high end stuff is worth talking about. No posts so far on the Ha auctions today. Anyone will pieces today?

Outbid on Totleben SW illo, Suydam Mudwogs page, Moroto Wizard illo, and Hoffman Brave and Maiden painting...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I managed to win the Kevin Maguire "The Defenders" pinup to add to the DC vs. Marvel illustration I already have. The plan is to meet & greet him at the upcoming Baltimore Comic-Con (Sept. 7/8), maybe get his signature on these pieces also.

The fact that I didn't pay the price then, or pay the price now, simply illustrates the fact that it's a lot more money than I have to spend. Nothing has changed.

I appreciate that you were not knocking the piece. I just wanted to endorse its quality as a piece of artwork, seeing as this forum is an exchange of opinions.

Flawlessly executed, but it felt more like "Mad Magazine" than "Conan the Barbarian"

The Frazetta? For sure. Frank had so many chapters to the book of his career. This movie poster era, and this style I really dig. It's not Conan or Vampirella. The feel is the more comedic Frank.

Flawlessly executed, but it felt more like "Mad Magazine" than "Conan the Barbarian"

It wasn't meant to be 'Conan the Barbarian'. :grin:

Frazetta worked for Mad, 'Little Annie Fannie' and also had a long stint on 'Li'l Abner', so he had a background as a humour cartoonist.

The Minsky painting (and other poster art by Frazetta during this period), displays his versatility as an artist.

The display of characters, and what they're getting up to in the Minsky's poster art, is delightful and brings a big smile to my face. The draughtsmanship is superb.