• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2022 at 3:59 AM, Larryw7 said:

Got this one from Superworld Ted.

Mystic23C.jpg

I’ve always liked this cover because of the two ways you could interpret it. 1. The guy with the plate is just shocked to see a frozen body in the fridge. Or (my favorite) 2. The guys with the plates are ghouls and are going to eat the body in the fridge! :whatthe:

On 2/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, Jayman said:

I’ve always liked this cover because of the two ways you could interpret it. 1. The guy with the plate is just shocked to see a frozen body in the fridge. Or (my favorite) 2. The guys with the plates are ghouls and are going to eat the body in the fridge! :whatthe:

The guy in the fridge and the guy waiting to be served are shocked 'cos there was no Ben &  Jerry's in the fridge. Not surprising as it wasn't invented then. :insane:

I like the smug look on the lurch character too.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:04 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

The guy in the fridge and the guy waiting to be served are shocked 'cos there was no Ben &  Jerry's in the fridge. Not surprising as it wasn't invented then. :insane:

I like the smug look on the lurch character too.

I dunno. That could be Ben or Jerry in that fridge! (:

On 2/11/2022 at 5:50 AM, Jayman said:

I have always liked it just because it was so shocking and surprising. Russ Heath…:x

I like it so much, A couple years ago, I upgraded it for a third time. 

On 2/4/2022 at 10:03 PM, Grottu said:

Low grade, and probably paid too much for it, but -- I don't care!

IMG_2119.jpeg

So, this is what I get for going with a low grade copy from an inexperienced eBay seller -- just got it in hand, and the centerfold is missing! To the seller's credit, I got an immediate no-hassle refund, and they told me to just keep the book. Could've been worse, I suppose.

On 2/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Grottu said:

So, this is what I get for going with a low grade copy from an inexperienced eBay seller -- just got it in hand, and the centerfold is missing! To the seller's credit, I got an immediate no-hassle refund, and they told me to just keep the book. Could've been worse, I suppose.

Kind of a win? (shrug)

On 2/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Another big load of pre-Code goodies arrived yesterday! 160 comics, of which these are highlights.... More fun stuff is expected to arrive soon!

horror comics 2022.jpg

Anything we should be keeping an eye out for over in the sales threads?  ;)

What's the story behind this? Original owner collection you stumbled across? 

On 2/17/2022 at 6:53 AM, Nic8612 said:

Anything we should be keeping an eye out for over in the sales threads?  ;)

What's the story behind this? Original owner collection you stumbled across? 

I'll post in the sales threads when it's closer to auction time... the sale won't be until June 9th. I'm still hunting up consignments. 

These came from a longtime collector who started buying pre-Code horror decades ago. He's got loads of wonderful ECs as well, including pretty much every New Trend comic, and I'm hoping to do a single-owner sale of those sometime in the future... 

I've been a pre-Code fan for decades, ever since I was a teen, so doing a deep dive into this collection is a dream come true! I wish I could buy 'em all myself, but as an auction man my policy is not to get high on my own supply! That's the reason I have my boss create limited edition hardcovers of my comic sale catalogues: so I can have a permanent memento of all of the great comics that pass through my hands. For me, it's the next best thing to ownership... Here's my hardcover copy of our previous catalogue, with some of my reference library in the background.

pba hardcover oct 2021 sale.jpg

On 2/17/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

I'll post in the sales threads when it's closer to auction time... the sale won't be until June 9th. I'm still hunting up consignments. 

These came from a longtime collector who started buying pre-Code horror decades ago. He's got loads of wonderful ECs as well, including pretty much every New Trend comic, and I'm hoping to do a single-owner sale of those sometime in the future... 

I've been a pre-Code fan for decades, ever since I was a teen, so doing a deep dive into this collection is a dream come true! I wish I could buy 'em all myself, but as an auction man my policy is not to get high on my own supply! That's the reason I have my boss create limited edition hardcovers of my comic sale catalogues: so I can have a permanent memento of all of the great comics that pass through my hands. For me, it's the next best thing to ownership... Here's my hardcover copy of our previous catalogue, with some of my reference library in the background.

Ahhh didn't realize you were with PBA! I just made my first purchase from you guys in your last golden age auction :)

On 2/17/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

The comic books come and go but the knowledge and memories of them remain and we take them with us…

On 2/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Another big load of pre-Code goodies arrived yesterday! 160 comics, of which these are highlights.... More fun stuff is expected to arrive soon!

horror comics 2022.jpg

Not much to pick from, Ivan; only two that I don't have.  :wink: