• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2022 at 8:07 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

Just in.....

For me, the FAC run has probably, or arguably 5 or so outstanding covers. This is one of them which I love.

I'm surprised Wertham didn't get his teeth into this one, because this book screams brutality.

The poor Cop chained to the bottom of the tank, about to be drowned slowly by the gangster while his previously murdered buddy bears witness. The cynical, callous bloodthirsty moll hoping to satisfy her bloodlust by pumping the guy full of lead. 

It is worrying that this kind of thing was available to kids if you think about it. I mean would you want your kids reading this kind of stuff, even now?

That said, this is a classic in my view. 

aaaa.jpg

bbbb.jpg

My 11 year old loves my pre-code stuff (:

On 3/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, Nic8612 said:

My 11 year old loves my pre-code stuff (:

Well what kid wouldn't? It's like forbidden fruit.

But it's amazing that back in the 50s, in a a conservative, staid period of history, comic books basically ran wild.

The supreme irony of course is that pre-code would not be the force it is today without Wertham.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:16 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

Well what kid wouldn't? It's like forbidden fruit.

But it's amazing that back in the 50s, in a a conservative, staid period of history, comic books basically ran wild.

The supreme irony of course is that pre-code would not be the force it is today without Wertham.

Yep, an early example of the Streisand Effect haha

On 3/14/2022 at 1:37 PM, Cobbledclam said:

Without taking this topic too far off base but couldn’t shy away from the query….yes, yes indeed.🥸 and now back to pre-

EBC399CB-A36F-4E5B-AA31-8DDEC3F745A4.jpeg

9D89E883-25B2-47C8-9D49-6FED6A001143.jpeg

529345D3-5ABB-40ED-9804-AA137D92E69B.jpeg

Astonishing 30 is one of the all time classic precode horror covers. Maneely’s “classic eyeball” cover with the rotting flesh in the graveyard captures it all! 

On 3/15/2022 at 12:31 PM, mwotka said:

Picked up a PCH collection a little while back and this was one of the highlights.  This cover is really top notch.  And everyone I show it to wants to buy it immediately.  

this magazine is haunted 14.jpg

Underrated skull cover and we know how those are going (thumbsu