• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

I've picked these up over the last month or so. Posted the first pic in another thread, but figured once is not enough!

Lots of nice pre-codes coming out of the woodwork lately.

grouphorror.jpg

grphorror2.jpg

Wow Andy - talk about a hit parade! :golfclap:

I've picked these up over the last month or so. Posted the first pic in another thread, but figured once is not enough!

grouphorror.jpg

grphorror2.jpg

Indeed, a wonderful batch of books! Menace 1 has some truly spectacular art in it. The WM 5 and Venus ain't too shabby either. Congrats! :applause:

grouphorror.jpg

grphorror2.jpg

Hit parade, indeed! There's nothing so colorful as a precode horror group shot! :luhv:

Great set of books! :applause:

Being new to the forums (but not to collecting) I'm interested in how most people come across their golden age gems: do you buy from eBay, local comic stores, trade/buy from others in these forums, or spend time looking for comics at estate sales.

I rarely buy from other collectors and try to find "new" books at yard/estate sales, ungraded comics that have never been in the hands of collectors and become new to the marketplace. Of course, this is way slow but the payoff is great with often very low prices for great stuff. I've completed runs on my EC New Trend an filled in early STRANGE WORLDS for a few bucks by sifting through boxes at flea markets and auctions, though I'm not averse to dropping good money for a key issue that I've just gotta have!

I think I used to own this. The cover was very glossy and bright and it had nice pages -- cr/ow is too harsh.

River City....

HauntedThrills985RiverCity.jpg

Was pretty glad when this book came up as a BIN on ebay ... been wanting a copy for a while, and this one was affordable with decent eye appeal and really nice pages.

Could be my all time favorite Wolverton cover! :cloud9:

WTOTF2.jpg

Might eventually get it restored, or possibly hold out for an upgrade. But in the meantime, I'm pretty happy to have this tough-to-find book.

Was pretty glad when this book came up as a BIN on ebay ... been wanting a copy for a while, and this one was affordable with decent eye appeal and really nice pages.

WTOTF2.jpg

Might eventually get it restored, or possibly hold out for an upgrade. But in the meantime, I'm pretty happy to have this tough-to-find book.

A classic, Ryan - welcome "back". :applause:

WTOTF2.jpg

:applause: WTOTF is one of the best pre-code runs out there, and that cover is spectacular.

alanna: That Haunted Thrills is amazing! Congrats!! Are you keeping it in carbonite or will you be cracking it? Just curious. A book that high grade gives me the shakes if I try to read it.

Ryan: Those Werid Tales Of The Future covers are fantastic! Great pick up. The stories I think are a nice blend of scifi and horror....... Plus it's always fun to play the guessing game of "How did they cut up and rearrange Wolverton's art this time!" lol

very sweet- kinda reminds me of the end of the world scenes in Basil's Bible!

Thanks for mentioning this as I never heard of it before. Did a search and it looks AMAZING!

Gonna have to order a copy! (thumbs u

Being new to the forums (but not to collecting) I'm interested in how most people come across their golden age gems: do you buy from eBay, local comic stores, trade/buy from others in these forums, or spend time looking for comics at estate sales.

I rarely buy from other collectors and try to find "new" books at yard/estate sales, ungraded comics that have never been in the hands of collectors and become new to the marketplace. Of course, this is way slow but the payoff is great with often very low prices for great stuff. I've completed runs on my EC New Trend an filled in early STRANGE WORLDS for a few bucks by sifting through boxes at flea markets and auctions, though I'm not averse to dropping good money for a key issue that I've just gotta have!

The short answer is: wherever I can find them. Focusing on one venue would result in a pretty small collection, so I buy from a variety of places. Of the dozen books I just posted in the pics, here is the breakdown:

eBay: 6

These boards: 4

Dealer website: 1

Comiclink: 1