• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

I recently scanned a Gaines copy and while everything went just fine I'm not sure how soon I wish to repeat the experience. It was like trying to scan a piece of tissue paper, hoping you don't destroy it in the process. :eek:

When a comic is in condition like that, the whole debate over slabbing goes out the window. You want to keep a comic like that as perfect as possible.

Thanks for compliments. It's a beautiful cover by Craig who was very proud of his work on the last few covers for VOH (it doesn't hurt that Marie Severin's color scheme was so sensitively defined). This is the #2 Gaines File Copy but it's actually relatively common in this condition with five 9.8s showing on the census.

I recently scanned a Gaines copy and while everything went just fine I'm not sure how soon I wish to repeat the experience. It was like trying to scan a piece of tissue paper, hoping you don't destroy it in the process. :eek:

When a comic is in condition like that, the whole debate over slabbing goes out the window. You want to keep a comic like that as perfect as possible.

This is why I prefer not to slab as I have no wish to risk any damage in the round trip and I feel the book is safer in mylar than in the current slab design which minimizes but doesn't eliminate shaken comic syndrome.

i so rarely get to post in this thread--couldn't wait to post this one here. see how ditko was getting a head-start on drawing webbing??

thing17.jpg

Beeeeautiful book Billy! :applause:

I've always liked Ditko's art, and those early pre-codes are VERY hard to come by these days. Good snag.

Someone was asking why Crime And Punishment #66 was special. This entire issue has art by Alex Toth. It uses Lev Gleason's "Deep Dimension" effect, with wide panels that create a kind of widescreen format for comics. Toth the master makes the gimmick work wonders, with compositions that leap off the page. Here are just a few samples.

108005.jpg.51cd4cec7f49cb2988b670497231fa3b.jpg

108006.jpg.aee191b308a7857c2276594251a2251f.jpg

108007.jpg.94bae07a82bd46598198b06dbc010c0d.jpg

108008.jpg.4b7033d2ca86f20d8e9b70bdf386c0ac.jpg

108009.jpg.e1829f1d0129bd214857c2880116c2e1.jpg