• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,266 posts in this topic

HOM is a pretty lame cover -- a pale imitation of the pulp that inspired it. I can scan the pulp if anyone is interested

Funny thing about HOM #1. It actually reminds me of the DC Bronze Age Sinister House Of Secret Love, Secrets Of Sinister House etc. but I always felt these DC Bronze age titles were better than the HOM #1.

PLEASE - show us a scan of the pulp that inspired this cover!!!!!!!!

They have reversed the cover for HOM 1 so that the wolves run right to left. Also, the colors are much nicer on the pulp than on the comic.

731663-WeirdTales_38_08.jpg

731663-WeirdTales_38_08.jpg.eaa4d6ae401f9d40c11134159fcb734a.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

HOM is a pretty lame cover

Like I said, most DC pre-code horror WAS lame. If I had to pick some of the LEAST lame, I'd go with the Sensations and maybe HoM #1. wink.gif

BTW ... I wasn't "complaining" about YOUR HoM # 9 specifically, Adam. ( I think you took it personal for some odd reason? confused-smiley-013.gif ) I was stating that in general, it was my opinion that DC pre-code horror is inferior to the output of other publishers of the same era.

-- a pale imitation of the pulp that inspired it. I can scan the pulp if anyone is interested.

Now you're talking! Let's see it! thumbsup2.gif

Hard to top a Brundage painting! smile.gif

Ditto! Note that Edmond Hamilton is listed as a writer on the Weird Tales. He was a major contributor to DC Comics in the 1950s, primarily because of his relationship to Julie Schwartz and Mort Weisinger.

Anyone recognize this artist? devil.gif

753102-UncannyTales_9_2.jpg

A recent aquisition - low grade but the price was right. Not pictured in the Gerber - but not a white space either - I'm guessing non-EC horror didn't get quite the same respect back in the 80s, as there are a few runs which aren't completely represented.

I love the self-referential cover - I wonder if that's a self-portrait of Myron Fass himself. Overstreet references "heart torn out" and "blood drainage", but don't expect anything too graphic - run of the mill sub-EC horror resides inside.

630435-beware11.jpg

One of my favorite concepts: the Horror Comic Writer Cover. Has anyone compiled a list of these? I know there are a few, anyway! thumbsup2.gif

The only other "pre-code" covers I'm aware of are:

Punch 9

Adv Into Unknown 39

Does anyone know of more than these?

What I like about the AIU and the Beware is that there is a story inside corresponding to the cover. The Punch doesn't. frown.gif

There are many comics with interior stories with this theme, the best IMHO, is in Venus 17. Bill Everett. cloud9.gif

I love the self-referential cover - I wonder if that's a self-portrait of Myron Fass himself.

630435-beware11.jpg

I must have missed this post before because I do have a more recent pic of Myron Fass and we can all judge that it is him on that Beware cover as seen below on the right.

754239-MyronFass.jpg

Adam: Any chance you could see your copy of Venus 17?

754239-MyronFass.jpg.c5cb1c7003d4f801a7ff2322230062a3.jpg

Do I have a Venus 17? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What would be very cool is for someone who has a low-grade copy that they could scan. The story in question is "Cartoonist's Calamity". It was also reprinted in the early 70s by Marvel.

Edited by adamstrange

Punch 9

Adv Into Unknown 39

There's an Atlas title with this type of cover,too. I 'll have to dredge it up.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Punch 9

Adv Into Unknown 39

There's an Atlas title with this type of cover,too. I 'll have to dredge it up.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you thinking of Spellbound 2?

755342-Spellbound2.jpg

755342-Spellbound2.jpg.02fedb878d2928309a234e956e256d07.jpg

Are you thinking of Spellbound 2?

Indeed I was! thumbsup2.gif

Spellbound 2 is wonderful book, but what I particularly like is when the artwork comes alive. Spell 2 cover is about the writer.

In the three examples that I cited, you can see that the artwork showing the creature and that creature coming to life. I really like the "cover within a cover" concept as well as the coming to life concept. There is another cover that is post-code that also has the artwork coming alive, Surprise Adventures 3.

I have a copy of Horrific #1 in my collection, but I'd consider it to be VG- at best with a couple of tears on interior pages. It's one of my favorite titles (at least the first 3 issues)... love the Iger Studio artwork, the cover and logo. It's a tough book in any condition. The stories in this one are really cool. I came across a new copy over the weekend and grabbed it, knowing that it's tough to find a nice one. It looks to be a VG+ at least, with a flat and very glossy cover and really nice pages.

760429-horrific1.jpg

760429-horrific1.jpg.9f2c527d2598f6ffa69b7745f5843814.jpg

Edited by paull

Thanks, POV! I agree.... I like this cover far more than the War Fury-copied cover of Horrific #3. How that ever became a "classic" cover while something like this is ignored is beyond me.

Spellbound 2 is wonderful book, but what I particularly like is when the artwork comes alive. Spell 2 cover is about the writer...

Typical collector attitude... always drooling over the artists and ignoring the writers... 27_laughing.gif

Poor comic writers, they get no respect... grin.gif

I have a copy of Horrific #1 in my collection, but I'd consider it to be VG- at best with a couple of tears on interior pages. It's one of my favorite titles (at least the first 3 issues)... love the Iger Studio artwork, the cover and logo. It's a tough book in any condition. The stories in this one are really cool. I came across a new copy over the weekend and grabbed it, knowing that it's tough to find a nice one. It looks to be a VG+ at least, with a flat and very glossy cover and really nice pages.

760429-horrific1.jpg

Nice book 893applaud-thumb.gif. Still trying to get a nice copy myself.

To those of you that don’t know, I mainly collect Bronze age books and up but I have in the past purchased some Pre-Code horror (by some I mean 3 or 4 issues). I really do like them: a totally different look, texture and yes…smell to them make them so appealing to me. But one has to ask themselves, how many titles can you afford to collect? These boards didn’t help matters much by all of you posting your fabulous horror books to tempt me. So for the first time in about 15 years I gave in to the pre-code call and had to possess this beauty. A book I always thought had the classic “Zombie Kiss” cover.

767332-ChamberOfChills%2323.jpg

589a8d15868a1_767332-ChamberOfChills23.jpg.30b64e9f248df794317b74b871502869.jpg

To those of you that don’t know, I mainly collect Bronze age books and up but I have in the past purchased some Pre-Code horror (by some I mean 3 or 4 issues). I really do like them: a totally different look, texture and yes…smell to them make them so appealing to me. But one has to ask themselves, how many titles can you afford to collect? These boards didn’t help matters much by all of you posting your fabulous horror books to tempt me. So for the first time in about 15 years I gave in to the pre-code call and had to possess this beauty. A book I always thought had the classic “Zombie Kiss” cover.

Saw your cross-post in Lurid and have to day that book deserves at LEAST two posts!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

This is a "Romance" book. You're in the wrong thread.

gossip.gif (But it looks like a really nice, I mean icky copy)