• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

Tomb of Terror 16 is my favorite cover as well, from the Harvey lineup of horror comics, with Chamber of Chills 23 as second.

Their later output went from somewhat goofy cover illustrations to very good; too bad the code cut them short, or we may have seen late '54 and '55 issues with really popping cover themes!

I never considered only going after a near mint copy of any PCH book. I would grab what I could, and later upgrade as availability and reasonable pricing offered.

This is one of the 9.0 comics I picked up recently. This one is in my top 5 for Harvey horror, and each copy this year has been better than the last. This was after trying all year last year to find ANY decent copy (feast or famine, right?). The other is Chamber of Chills 13, another one of my favorite Harveys. I haven't gotten a decent pic yet but will post as soon as it arrives. Both of these are underrated IMHO. The ToT 16 gets overshadowed by the 15, but I actually prefer it. For the Harvey horror runs it seems like there were a few flashes of incredible creativity on covers, and great interiors consistently, but the majority of their covers are pretty tame.

image.jpg

I'm a fan myself! (thumbs u

I think it has to do with the unique perspective. The girl holding her face in horror can only see the back and head of the corpse and her boyfriend's arm ( not so scary a sight). But we see it all! :headbang:

Grader's notes? I have to pay for those, correct? I've never done that but after your post I looked on the CGC website and it looks like there is a fee? Now I'm curious too. It looks stunning in person. I was thinking they might have graded it lower because it isn't a pedigree. The fact that it isn't from a pedigree collection or a file copy makes it even cooler to me, because it means that someone took very good care of it for 62 years. I find that simply amazing.

Grader's notes? I have to pay for those, correct?

I don't keep up with all that because I don't sub books. I think now the submitter has access to the notes free of charge. Somebody here will know.

I was thinking they might have graded it lower because it isn't a pedigree.

That would be an abomination!

The fact that it isn't from a pedigree collection or a file copy makes it even cooler to me, because it means that someone took very good care of it for 62 years. I find that simply amazing.

+1 (thumbs u

My experience has been that when the book is graded the notes are available online on your own submissions page. Only problem I've seen is that submissions drop off of that page after 6 months. Def anyone can pay for grader's notes (like $10 a pop) at any time if you have the CGC number. Think that's right.

My experience has been that when the book is graded the notes are available online on your own submissions page. Only problem I've seen is that submissions drop off of that page after 6 months. Def anyone can pay for grader's notes (like $10 a pop) at any time if you have the CGC number. Think that's right.

For submissions that are older than 6 months and do not appear on the "Order Status" page, just type in the invoice number and hit "GO" and the invoice will come up.