• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2022 at 3:43 PM, bronze johnny said:

There you go again. Opinions from those espousing pure subjectivism and a rejection of universal truths in art aren’t worth debating with. Quoting you that it’s all “subjective.” There’s no point in trying to debate with you because you are the “measure of all things.”

Of course I am. And so are you. And so is everybody else.

It's called 'having an opinion'.

I respect yours. Please do me the same courtesy.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:41 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

Now you are not reading properly what I said.

Go back several posts. I like the book, I even conceded that classic status is there. I'm just proposing why it is a slightly disingenuous PCH 'classic' cover. (thumbsu

You proposing that truth in art is exclusively subjective and have based your arguments on that. This isn’t a back and forth about “conceding ground.” Frankly, I’m not interested in your opinion about the book so much as the fact that there are classic covers that we may both like or dislike.

The whole irony of this is that I am actually in negotiation for a copy of Horrific 3. I probably won't get it as the seller up to now wants silly money...swept up no doubt in the 'classic' designation.

I wouldn't want the book if I didn't like it or hold it in high esteem.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

Of course I am. And so are you. And so is everybody else.

It's called 'having an opinion'.

I respect yours. Please do me the same courtesy.

Yes, we all have opinions. Mine isn’t “subjectivity” trumps all else. I have been doing you the courtesy - telling you that I’m not here to try and change your opinions about art but I will stand by mine.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

The whole irony of this is that I am actually in negotiation for a copy of Horrific 3. I probably won't get it as the seller up to now wants silly money...swept up no doubt in the 'classic' designation.

I wouldn't want the book if I didn't like it or hold it in high esteem.

I hope you get a copy- it’s always better in hand. A “bullet in head in the hand is worth two in the bush.” (Attempt at humor!)

Edited by bronze johnny

On 3/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, bronze johnny said:

Yes, we all have opinions. Mine isn’t “subjectivity” trumps all else. I have been doing you the courtesy - telling you that I’m not here to try and change your opinions about art but I will stand by mine.

And that is good.

Opinions can be changed or altered over time. Where art is concerned, we like what we like. I like this book, as I've said now multiple times.

That is all.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:50 PM, bronze johnny said:

I hope you get a copy-

It's unlikely from this particular seller. He puts extreme emphasis on label designation and census numbers.

I do not.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:36 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

This I agree with. Too many copies are faded or perhaps suffered from the nuances of a particular printer. But when the colour is deep green, it is extremely striking.

It’s one of the most difficult precode horror keys to get that presents nicely. Solid background green is awesome and why it took forever for me to find one.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:54 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

It's unlikely from this particular seller. He puts extreme emphasis on label designation and census numbers.

I do not.

What’s the grade?

On 3/27/2022 at 7:17 AM, Courageous Cat said:

classic covers denoted by CGC are simply money boosters and very subjective. Take black cat 50....looks like a 10 year old drew the cover yet it commands top dollar on the market or weird tales of the future 8...really simplistic art yet most go gaga over it or dare I throw out Crime Suspenstories 22! Now there's a highly over rated cover just because her head is cut off. I prefer art to subject matter but one mans trash is another mans treasure, but in the end if CGC says its classic, i guess that's all that matters

I love them both. But part of what makes CSS 22 classic is it’s place in history. The court room drama for this book was pivital in changing the whole comic industry.

For the record, I like CSS 20 a lot more…

On 3/27/2022 at 3:59 PM, Robot Man said:

I love them both. But part of what makes CSS 22 classic is it’s place in history. The court room drama for this book was pivital in changing the whole comic industry.

What spoils CSS22 for me is that EC bottled it with the inks. Using black for blood instead of red.

Imagine this book properly inked? :cloud9:

On 3/27/2022 at 7:24 AM, october said:

Horrific 3 gets my vote. It's especially striking when the green background is right....many copies have poor colors. Here is the Northford. 

001 (334).jpg

Yeah maybe my favorite PCH cover. Easily in my top 10. And yeah, impossible to find with nice solid green like that one. 

On 3/27/2022 at 10:59 AM, Robot Man said:

What I will say in this year of 2022 is that the precode era started with Crime Does Not Pay 22 and ended with Crime Suspenstories 22. I also love Crime Suspenstories 20. 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

What spoils CSS22 for me is that EC bottled it with the inks. Using black for blood instead of red.

Imagine this book properly inked? :cloud9:

The book WAS properly inked in the mind of the inker Marie Severin. She was the “conscience” of EC often toning down the colors in the spirit of “good taste”.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:04 PM, Robot Man said:

The book WAS properly inked in the mind of the inker Marie Severin. She was the “conscience” of EC often toning down the colors in the spirit of “good taste”.

I know she was the self appointed censor but I think they dropped the ball on this.

The book came in for tremendous flack anyways so a properly accurate inking would have been tremendous.

Hung for a sheep and all that.....