• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2022 at 4:33 AM, jimjum12 said:

Recent pick-up VOODOO 1 by Ajax Farrell (1952). With all the price increases lately, the PCH genre almost seems cheap. This one has a Matt Baker story that looks like it may have been intended for an issue of Seven Seas Comics .... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I borrowed shots of the Matt Baker story from www.comicbookplus.com .... if you ever wonder what's inside a comic from the 40's and 50's AND the comic is in the Public Domain, chances are it's available there. FANTASTIC research site. 

VOODOO 1 CGC 55.jpg

VOODOO 1a.jpg

VOODOO 1b.jpg

VOODOO 1c.jpg

VOODOO 1d.jpg

VOODOO 1e.jpg

VOODOO 1f.jpg

VOODOO 1g.jpg

VOODOO 1h.jpg

Thanks for posting this great Baker story.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:45 PM, Jayman said:

Btw, how is Coc #23 not labeled as a classic cover yet?!!? :sumo:

They're taking a wait-and-see attitude. We'll see if it becomes popular. You never know.  :whatev:

On 3/25/2022 at 7:45 PM, Jayman said:

Btw, how is Coc #23 not labeled as a classic cover yet?!!? :sumo:

Jay, do you really need a label from a comic book grading company to tell you a cover is classic?

On 3/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, bronze johnny said:

Jay, do you really need a label from a comic book grading company to tell you a cover is classic?

No, and I remember your topic on classic designations. But this one seems so obvious that it’s just hard to believe it’s not already on the label. Maybe “Classic Zombie Kiss” would be better? :idea:

On 3/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, Point Five said:

They're taking a wait-and-see attitude. We'll see if it becomes popular. You never know.  :whatev:

On 3/25/2022 at 5:33 PM, bronze johnny said:

CGC and other companies that grade & encapsulate are GRADERS, and not necessarily experts in determining classifications.  I think that would be up to collectors, as displayed by how much value they place in buying. 

I don't think there's any question that COC 23 is considered classic by those of us who collect this genre of comic books.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:14 PM, fifties said:

CGC and other companies that grade & encapsulate are GRADERS, and not necessarily experts in determining classifications.  I think that would be up to collectors, as displayed by how much value they place in buying. 

I don't think there's any question that COC 23 is considered classic by those of us who collect this genre of comic books.

That’s a position I subscribe to(thumbsu

On 3/26/2022 at 10:19 PM, bronze johnny said:

The cover speaks for itself. This is a classic cover with no CGC designation (and it doesn’t need it):

B85891CD-15F1-49AE-BDDB-FF7531FD74F8.jpeg.83fe626f5b598eba1e6aff7919d6e4b7.jpeg

I'm afraid the word 'classic' is bandied about these days like the word 'grail'.

It's all subjective.

ebay is full of books optimistically listed as 'classic' covers by their owners/sellers.

Frankly it's over-used and it dilutes the real classic books IMO.

This book for example....great cover sure...but classic?

Not in my book.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:00 PM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I'm afraid the word 'classic' is bandied about these days like the word 'grail'.

It's all subjective.

ebay is full of books optimistically listed as 'classic' covers by their owners/sellers.

Frankly it's over-used and it dilutes the real classic books IMO.

This book for example....great cover sure...but classic?

Not in my book.

Every seller that has a book listed is a “classic cover.” Agree with you that its overused. 

CDNP 27’s cover may not be a classic cover in your book but this Biro cover is in mine and has been in Overstreet’s for many years. There’s a consensus of collector’s who believe along with me that it’s a classic cover. That said, you don’t have to agree as there are some classic covers out there that I don’t care for myself.(thumbsu

Edited by bronze johnny

On 3/27/2022 at 4:03 AM, bronze johnny said:

Every seller that has a book listed is a “classic cover.” Agree with you that its overused. 

CDNP 27’s cover may not be a classic cover in your book but this Biro cover is in mine and has been in Overstreet’s for many years. There’s a consensus of collector’s who believe along with me that it’s a classic cover. That said, you don’t have to agree as there are some classic covers out there that I don’t care for myself.(thumbsu

I think it's pretty good, but don't see it as a 'classic' myself, but as I said it's all subjective. It is art after all. 

On 3/26/2022 at 11:24 PM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I think it's pretty good, but don't see it as a 'classic' myself, but as I said it's all subjective. It is art after all. 

If it were all subjective then we wouldn’t have any consensus on what’s classic and what’s not. Still, there’s stuff out there where the consensus says it’s classic and I don’t care for it. We don’t have to always agree with the consensus.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:29 AM, bronze johnny said:

If it were all subjective then we wouldn’t have any consensus on what’s classic and what’s not. Still, there’s stuff out there where the consensus says it’s classic and I don’t care for it. We don’t have to always agree with the consensus.

And I'm not.

Concensus doesn't mean the majority are right, just that there is some agreement. There could be a multitude of reasons, similar or different, to form a concensus.

But basically if someone thinks their book is a classic, then great, I'm happy for them. I own books that I think are definite classics to my mind, and I'm sure others would agree with my choices.

Doesn't mean they are worthy of the designation.

Overuse the term in an official capacity, and it becomes worthless, much like the term grail, which I find a pretty laughable term these days, seeing as it's been used as much as a pretty whore in a brothel for the last 20 years. 

On 3/27/2022 at 12:24 PM, bronze johnny said:

Do you agree with the consensus that this is a classic cover?

8171934E-F0F0-4B03-81E6-5C10DF156112.jpeg.7ad8117c96d661594d89d8d6fe00586d.jpeg

I've had discussions over the years about this book.

I have to admit it has grown on me. My main problem with it is that is a re-cycled image from WAR FURY # 1 as I'm sure you're aware, ergo not really an original cover in it's own right.

Because it's an upside down image that has been flipped, the muscle tensions are wrong, however that kind of adds to it's charm.

Because of it's story I guess it qualifies. It's so typical of Don Heck heads. I guess it deserves Classic status.