• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I also love the Guillotine cover.

I think my only Horrific book is a classic. :baiting:

:x

fbn.jpg

That's kind of you to like that post  @Mr. Lady Luck cos' I just realised I posted a different title. :facepalm:

Got swept up in the Heck-styeria  :insane:

I'm losin' it.... :screwy: 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:55 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I've had discussions over the years about this book.

I have to admit it has grown on me. My main problem with it is that is a re-cycled image from WAR FURY # 1 as I'm sure you're aware, ergo not really an original cover in it's own right.

Because it's an upside down image that has been flipped, the muscle tensions are wrong, however that kind of adds to it's charm.

Because of it's story I guess it qualifies. It's so typical of Don Heck heads. I guess it deserves Classic status.

Yes, there are books the consensus agrees that have classic covers we like and don’t like. Perspectives on art like music aren’t exclusively subjective. There are works of art that reach a threshold and it’s not just about whether we personally like it or not. To say that Heck’s concept is recycled from an earlier cover misses his perfecting a concept. Artists will occasionally take something they’ve done earlier and make it better. That’s not recycling. That’s the artist involved in their process. Heck wanted to place exclusive emphasis on the head and bullet hole - the precise second of death and the reaction of the victim without any surrounding context. That’s pure horror. Heck made it work for a horror comic during a time when the horror genre was at its apex in the comic book medium. That’s genius for its time and we have seen others who’ve been influenced by Heck’s work of art and one of the greatest precode covers ever. Warhol took Campbell Soup cans and turned them into pop art masterpieces- no recycling there either. A concept that was ingenious. Not just about what we are subjectively looking at but how the object we are viewing impacts us - what emanates from the relationship between the subject and the object. So I’m with you on not having a preference for certain books that are considered to have classic covers but we don’t as individuals make the exclusive determination of what’s classic or not. That’s done collectively by a consensus of collectors and that’s  existed the test of time so far for books like Crime Does Not Pay 27 and Horrific 3.(thumbsu

On 3/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, bronze johnny said:

Yes, there are books the consensus agrees that have classic covers we like and don’t like. Perspectives on art like music aren’t exclusively subjective. There are works of art that reach a threshold and it’s not just about whether we personally like it or not. To say that Heck’s concept is recycled from an earlier cover misses his perfecting a concept. Artists will occasionally take something they’ve done earlier and make it better. That’s not recycling. That’s the artist involved in their process. Heck wanted to place exclusive emphasis on the head and bullet hole - the precise second of death and the reaction of the victim without any surrounding context. That’s pure horror. Heck made it work for a horror comic during a time when the horror genre was at its apex in the comic book medium. That’s genius for its time and we have seen others who’ve been influenced by Heck’s work of art and one of the greatest precode covers ever. Warhol took Campbell Soup cans and turned them into pop art masterpieces- no recycling there either. A concept that was ingenious. Not just about what we are subjectively looking at but how the object we are viewing impacts us - what emanates from the relationship between the subject and the object. So I’m with you on not having a preference for certain books that are considered to have classic covers but we don’t as individuals make the exclusive determination of what’s classic or not. That’s done collectively by a consensus of collectors and that’s  existed the test of time so far for books like Crime Does Not Pay 27 and Horrific 3.(thumbsu

I completely disagree.

Nobody can dictate to anyone else what is classic and what is not. Just because a bunch of people say something's good, does not make it so in the eyes of any one beholder.

I'm not going to follow blindly anything just because I may be one in a hundred who disagrees.

And yes Heck created an end of life moment in WAR FURY # 1 which was truly horrific, but like it or not he re-cycled the image, or others did to fill a deadline.

I'm guessing HECK did not have a say. If he did, I would like to think he had enough artistic integrity to re-do the image to correct the obvious erring muscle tensions, which were drawn originally for an upside-down head. (thumbsu

Edited by G-G © ® ™

I'll give an example of pure opinion.

Two of my books. Neither are noted by CGC as 'classic' covers.

I love them both for different reasons. I regard HT6 as 'classic'. I would not regard MT #11 as 'classic'. However I love them equally.

Pure opinion. Pure subjectivity. No concensus needed for me.

tb.jpg

tgyhy.jpg

On 3/27/2022 at 8:55 AM, Kevin.J said:

My only qualifying book this month is a low grade effort and is nowhere near a classic as in the above interesting discussion.  

However it is another book ticked off the list and I am happy to have it :)

1021107519_WeirdHorrors9.thumb.jpg.9ea43ddbfea444f0dc724a61c0e688a8.jpg

Love that cover! It's a classic in my eyes. <3

Here's my copy...

wei5.87.jpg

On 3/27/2022 at 9:45 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I completely disagree.

Nobody can dictate to anyone else what is classic and what is not. Just because a bunch of people say something's good, does not make it so in the eyes of any one beholder.

I'm not going to follow blindly anything just because I may be one in a hundred who disagrees.

And yes Heck created an end of life moment in WAR FURY # 1 which was truly horrific, but like it or not he re-cycled the image, or others did to fill a deadline.

I'm guessing HECK did not have a say. If he did, I would like to think he had enough artistic integrity to re-do the image to correct the obvious erring muscle tensions, which were drawn originally for an upside-down head. (thumbsu

classic covers denoted by CGC are simply money boosters and very subjective. Take black cat 50....looks like a 10 year old drew the cover yet it commands top dollar on the market or weird tales of the future 8...really simplistic art yet most go gaga over it or dare I throw out Crime Suspenstories 22! Now there's a highly over rated cover just because her head is cut off. I prefer art to subject matter but one mans trash is another mans treasure, but in the end if CGC says its classic, i guess that's all that matters

I completely disagree.

That’s not what I wrote. No one’s suggesting you follow anything blindly or be dictated into agreeing on a matter. That’s the beauty of having the freedom of think for yourself. It’s your preference on what to consider classic. Doesn’t change the fact that there are “universal truths” that exists in art. Arguing pure subjectivism basically means your opinion is all that matters and I’m not going to spend anymore time debating that. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but does anyone disagree that Marilyn Monroe, Jane Fonda, and Elizabeth Taylor weren’t beautiful? There are objective beauties and you don’t have to appreciate them. That’s your preference. War Fury 1 is a war cover and places the horrors in the context of a battle scene. There’s a lot going on in that cover. Again, the simplicity the concept of Horrific 3 is what places it among them greatest horror covers of the precode era, or any era for that fact.

Edited by bronze johnny

On 3/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, october said:

Horrific 3 gets my vote. It's especially striking when the green background is right....many copies have poor colors. Here is the Northford. 

001 (334).jpg

It’s not even debatable.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, bronze johnny said:

War Fury 1 is a war cover and places the horrors in the context of a battle scene. There’s a lot going on in that cover. Again, the simplicity the concept of Horrific 3 is what places it among them greatest horror covers of the precode era, or any era for that fact.

You are completely ignoring artistic practices.

Yes, the original HECK head placed in the context of it's war setting is genius!

The recycled HORRIFIC 3 image is not genius. Why? Because it's an originally drawn upside-down head which has been flipped 180 degrees to meet a deadline.

The muscle tensions were not altered. An art critic would murder it.

That said, I like it, it's borderline 'classic' because of it's back story and hard hitting impact.

I prefer original work, so in terms of what I appreciate, I believe WAR FURY 1 to be the more genuine artistic statement.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, october said:

It's especially striking when the green background is right

This I agree with. Too many copies are faded or perhaps suffered from the nuances of a particular printer. But when the colour is deep green, it is extremely striking.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

You are completely ignoring artistic practices.

Yes, the original HECK head placed in the context of it's war setting is genius!

The recycled HORRIFIC 3 image is not genius. Why? Because it's an originally drawn upside-down head which has been flipped 180 degrees to meet a deadline.

The muscle tensions were not altered. An art critic would murder it.

That said, I like it, it's borderline 'classic' because of it's back story and hard hitting impact.

I prefer original work, so in terms of what I appreciate, I believe WAR FURY 1 to be the more genuine artistic statement.

Before it was my proposing that opinions on art be dictated by the “tyranny of the consensus.” Now it’s my “completely (not partially btw) ignoring artistic practices.” Try reading what I write more carefully. I get you have your view and that’s all that matters. You don’t like the book and I’m not trying to change that.(thumbsu

On 3/27/2022 at 3:25 PM, bronze johnny said:

It’s not even debatable.

Of course it's debateable.

This is a chat forum were opinions are offered up.

It is not a dictatorship.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:39 PM, bronze johnny said:

Before it was my proposing that opinions on art be dictated by the “tyranny of the consensus.” Now it’s my “completely (not partially btw) ignoring artistic practices.” Try reading what I write more carefully. I get you have your view and that’s all that matters. You don’t like the book and I’m not trying to change that.(thumbsu

Now you are not reading properly what I said.

Go back several posts. I like the book, I even conceded that classic status is there. I'm just proposing why it is a slightly disingenuous PCH 'classic' cover. (thumbsu

On 3/27/2022 at 10:40 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

Of course it's debateable.

This is a chat forum were opinions are offered up.

It is not a dictatorship.

There you go again. Opinions from those espousing pure subjectivism and a rejection of universal truths in art aren’t worth debating with. Quoting you that it’s all “subjective.” There’s no point in trying to debate with you because you are the “measure of all things.”