• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,223 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2022 at 12:06 AM, N e r V said:

One of the tame DC Pre code covers….

Nice book, but please show me a DC pre code that wasn't tame- compared to what everyone else was doing.  I've always wondered why there were no berserk DC pch.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:54 AM, Black Bat said:

Nice book, but please show me a DC pre code that wasn't tame- compared to what everyone else was doing.  I've always wondered why there were no berserk DC pch.

DC never wanted to play in the deep end of the PCH pool as they presumably had too much to lose with all their established properties. Turns out they were right to avoid the wrath of the powers that were.

I'd say that those two covers were actually less tame than most of their pre-code HOM issues. At least there are horror themes involved. Ironic how DC's "mystery" line in the early '70s was essentially E.C. lite, with certain artists such as Wrightson and Kaluta being influenced so extensively by the likes of Ingels and Frazetta. Not to mention horror hosts Cain, Abel, and Eve...

On 7/29/2022 at 4:31 AM, goldust40 said:

DC never wanted to play in the deep end of the PCH pool as they presumably had too much to lose with all their established properties. Turns out they were right to avoid the wrath of the powers that were.

DC was the equivalent of MGM.  They had the big stars and glamour.  Even from the beginning they showed restraint in comparison to their competitors and reined in outliers like the Bob Kane (solo Batman) and Bailey (Spectre).

On 7/29/2022 at 4:31 AM, goldust40 said:

Ironic how DC's "mystery" line in the early '70s was essentially E.C. lite, with certain artists such as Wrightson and Kaluta being influenced so extensively by the likes of Ingels and Frazetta. Not to mention horror hosts Cain, Abel, and Eve...

Orlando was the editor so not too surprising given his involvement with EC back in the day.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:51 AM, adamstrange said:

DC was the equivalent of MGM.  They had the big stars and glamour.  Even from the beginning they showed restraint in comparison to their competitors and reined in outliers like the Bob Kane (solo Batman) and Bailey (Spectre).

Orlando was the editor so not too surprising given his involvement with EC back in the day.

That makes sense, I like the MGM comparison.  But it seems the dc super hero books started getting full on corny in the 50's, which seems opposite of glamour, more like Marx Bros, maybe that started in the 40's?  I don't know, I grew up on the marvel stuff and dc just seemed dumb.  I think a lot of it is Robin's fault.  ha ha.