• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

Well, I have to say that I am very disappointed with the batch of books I received from Buckbiggins today

,,,,disappointed I didn't buy more. It's like he borrowed a glossinator ran the books through once, wasn't satisfied so ran them through again and then recolored the covers by hand. Awesome gloss. Awesome books. Awesome forumite.

A guy named EW Winter drew an impressive story in this one(pseudonym?)

Mystic30.jpg

Another nice one

AdventuresIntoTerror23.jpg

Not too shabby either

MarvelTales108.jpg

This one is ok, too. Seriously white pages and superior gloss.

Beware11.jpg

Thanks, Andrew!

Edited by johnenock

Are you sure it's not Chuck Winter, instead? That's not a pseudonym. He did some work for Atlas but the bulk of his work was done earlier in the early to mid-forties.

Update: I checked the Who's Who and there is also a Charles W. Winter, not Chuck (who is Charles A. Winter) but no record of him working for Atlas. hm

No record on AtlasTales either for this comic but I know him from Battle # 30 for example and here are a couple more splash from the same time period. Is it the same guy's work?

161.jpg

517.jpg

1014.jpg

Are you sure it's not Chuck Winter, instead? That's not a pseudonym. He did some work for Atlas but the bulk of his work was done earlier in the early to mid-forties.

Update: I checked the Who's Who and there is also a Charles W. Winter, not Chuck (who is Charles A. Winter) but no record of him working for Atlas. hm

No record on AtlasTales either for this comic but I know him from Battle # 30 for example and here are a couple more splash from the same time period. Is it the same guy's work?

161.jpg

517.jpg

1014.jpg

For sure the same guy. And, on closer inspection the E is actually a C so the story "Beyond Death!" was drawn by C.A. Winter. Love his style. What issues are your panels from. Incredible splash pages.

Well, I have to say that I am very disappointed with the batch of books I received from Buckbiggins today,,,,disappointed I didn't buy more. It's like he borrowed a glossinator ran the books through once, wasn't satisfied so ran them through again and then recolored the covers by hand. Awesome gloss. Awesome books. Awesome forumite.

Glad you like them and the glossinator is working to specs. My evil plan is working :insane:

In all seriousness...

The first 2 came from an original owner collection of about 200 books out of Penn.The collection was mostly horror and western from 1948-1954. All the books I bought had incredible gloss. Storage flaws mostly. Wish he had more I keep telling myself.

The second batch I bought directly from the original owner. The owner bought these books while on vacation in upset New York as a boy. He read them once and gave them to his mom when finished. His mother then collected the books over the summer and packed them away.

After his mother passed away he went to her storage facility. After sorting some stuff out he found a box filled with comics from his summer vacations as a boy. His mom apparently saved all the comics and brought them back home each summer. She stored them after all these years.

So far he has found only 2 small boxes. The impression I get is that the storage facility is rather crammed and large. Since he lives 8 hours away he gets stuff only a couple times a year and can only fit so much in his car at one time. Comics are last on his priority list. He believes more books are to be found but doesn’t know when and how many. One thought that bothers me is that he mentioned a theft at the storage facility awhile back and he has yet to find any superhero books! He remembers reading Batman and Captain America as a kid because they were his favorite characters. Maybe somebody high jacked those in the theft but that is speculation. Only time will tell what this unfolds. Maybe one day I’ll get the call he found the motherload.

I have bought several books from him and I’m happy the purchases. What is really cool about all of this…talking to the original owner of books from the 1950’s that have been untouched for 50+ years. Still hoping for the motherload call :wishluck: