• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Thanks Larry! :) One of my favorites -- here and there I've had a heck of a time finding copies of MA or DM that I need. This one was a lucky purchase from years ago, otherwise I'm sure I'd still be looking!

My first copy was a 1.0 rag. I've since graduated to a 2.0,.and would love to find at least a 4.0. Just a real tough book. The fact that it's one of the most gruesome pre-code books may have something to do with it.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:39 AM, Larryw7 said:

My first copy was a 1.0 rag. I've since graduated to a 2.0,.and would love to find at least a 4.0. Just a real tough book. The fact that it's one of the most gruesome pre-code books may have something to do with it.

I have to agree! Still, so many of my books pale in comparison to examples you've posted. That's the fun thing about collections (and PCH in particular) -- no two are likely to be exactly alike. I'm often in admiration of so many from Jayman's posts that I don't yet have, yet, he once mentioned several ones of mine I'd posted, he didn't have either. :)

On 5/5/2018 at 3:44 AM, Larryw7 said:

I've always wanted this one. I love the ACG faux 3D books.

fzjnyo.jpg

This is a really great issue of the black-ink saturated AITU faux 3-D issues -- the first one for this title -- and the only one with a white cover. :) ACG also did this style for atomic subs and heartfelt romance titles!

Adding more scans -- I agree with those who have posted previously, Strange Mysteries #10 is far from a great cover, yet I don't find it so bad. More "meat and potatoes" PCH -- the stories inside are typical Superior fare, which is to say they are good. With issue #11, the covers took a dramatic turn for the better in this title!

Sm-10.png

3 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Adding more scans -- I agree with those who have posted previously, Strange Mysteries #10 is far from a great cover, yet I don't find it so bad. More "meat and potatoes" PCH -- the stories inside are typical Superior fare, which is to say they are good. With issue #11, the covers took a dramatic turn for the better in this title!

Sm-10.png

Agree. I have this issue also but it really seems the artist drew the panicked girl running then hit an artistic block. Everything else on the cover looks like an afterthought. Especially the giraffe necked skeleton! lol

2 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Agree. I have this issue also but it really seems the artist drew the panicked girl running then hit an artistic block. Everything else on the cover looks like an afterthought. Especially the giraffe necked skeleton! lol

LOL, I agree Jayman! She's really well drawn, honestly -- had the artist just filled in the spaces around her with either a super-sized skull, or many smaller ones, it'd have been great! :)

3 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Love this short two-issue run. Almost got this #1 at a flea market when I was 13 -- it was gone when I came back with my money! It wasn't until my 30's that I saw it again, but this time I was successful! :)

Torm-1.png

I think #2 is even harder to come by these days

Edited by retrocomics

8 minutes ago, retrocomics said:

I think is even harder to come by these days

I'd agree! I'm very glad to have it. There are many issues I'd like to have, and don't; but I do enjoy the tough ones I've gotten thus far. It's definitely a glass half-full for me and GA comics! :)

Also agree with you, #2 is a toughie as well! I'll scan my copy but don't have it handy at the moment. It's in about the same shape. :)

Edited by originalisbest
Adding words