• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wanna start chasing Marvel 2nd prints...
5 5

333 posts in this topic

The myth. The legend. 2nd print? Nobody seems to know. A great deal of worship will be bestowed upon the person who solves this riddle.

4e2db12a.jpg

May be a Marvel Legends toy copy. Does it say "Not for Sale" in the indicia on the first page?

Nope. Way past that point. The book is the same as the regular, except for the UPC and price box. It's not a toy. That's all we know. I think someone even called Marvel, and they had no clue.

Edited by Paper Airplane

The myth. The legend. 2nd print? Nobody seems to know. A great deal of worship will be bestowed upon the person who solves this riddle.

4e2db12a.jpg

More than likely it was printed between the direct prints and the newsstand printings. There was probably a very small batch of them that remained "virgin" copies. After the direct copies were done, a small batch was printed, then the newsstand copies were printed. More like a very small test run that leaked out.

Sounds better than most of the other theories, eh? :insane:

4e2db12a.jpg

More than likely it was supposed to have between the direct prints and the newsstand printings. There was probably a very small batch of them that remained "virgin" copies.

It's possible. That's a new theory. The problem is that nobody has been able to confirm or deny anything. It didn't end up as a toy book, but maybe it was supposed to be , but never made it into the toy? This has been picked over for years, and nobody really knows anything. I think there are about 4-5 known copies.

Also have an Amazing Spider-Man #101 2nd print heading my way. Hope it arrives as sharp as it was in the auction. I've been having trouble finding NM+ grades for Amazing Spider-Man 2nd prints and oddly Ghost Rider #5. Everything else has been pretty fun and easier thus far. :wishluck:

4e2db12a.jpg

More than likely it was supposed to have between the direct prints and the newsstand printings. There was probably a very small batch of them that remained "virgin" copies.

It's possible. That's a new theory. The problem is that nobody has been able to confirm or deny anything. It didn't end up as a toy book, but maybe it was supposed to be , but never made it into the toy? This has been picked over for years, and nobody really knows anything. I think there are about 4-5 known copies.

Nah, it wouldn't have been a toy book because almost all of the toy books changed the inner ads to newer ads. And most likely, nobody can confirm or deny anything because most people that would have known what they are are no longer with the company.

A test batch at the start of the printing process, or a batch from in-between the direct and newsstand printing will most likely be the answer. Unfortunately, it will probably never be definitively known one way or another.

(shrug) Still trying to confirm exactly how and why it came to be. It sounds plausible it was some kind of test in between printing for direct and newsstand, but how come no other books have this? That's the jillion dollar question.

Here is another issue with a blank UPC that had both direct and newstand versions. I have this issue and it looks to me that it is a similar error but they did put the correct newstand info in the price box.

6456_10.jpg

Here is another issue with a blank UPC that had both direct and newstand versions. I have this issue and it looks to me that it is a similar error but they did put the correct newstand info in the price box.

6456_10.jpg

So it could just be a simple printing error?

6456_10.jpg

So it could just be a simple printing error?

almost guaranteed.

4e2db12a.jpg

According to comicbookrealm.com, at least 17 on their site own this book. I'm not sure how accurate that number is, but it would mean that there are more than 4-5 copies.

My ASM 101 arrived yesterday. I'm very happy with it. I can now happily cross this off my want list. I've had a few of them over the years and this is easily the nicest one I've owned. Not even close really.

asm101secondb_zpscbd8b669.jpg

I also snagged a Darkhawk #5 JC Penney reprint. I'd prefer a higher grading copy, but this makes an excellent placeholder until a better one is found. It was not an easy book for me to find

darkhawk5JC_zpsf1a47897.jpg

My Amazing Spider-Man #101 2nd print arrived yesterday too but was accurately graded as a NM-. There was a tiny ding on the upper right corner. Damn, and I was so excited that this might have pressed into a CGC 9.6 or something. :pullhair:

Don't even want to scan it now. lol

My Amazing Spider-Man #101 2nd print arrived yesterday too but was accurately graded as a NM-. There was a tiny ding on the upper right corner. Damn, and I was so excited that this might have pressed into a CGC 9.6 or something. :pullhair:

Don't even want to scan it now. lol

:baiting:

So, I've been buying the second prints for my son's collection thinking it was a cheap alternative and he likes the silver and gold inks. Now, he has pristine copies of most of the standard second prints and these books his collection are worth more than mine meh

6456_10.jpg

Do you think this ends the mystery? I know CGC lists the book as a variant, but that implies intent. I just wish there were other examples of this kind of error, if in fact it is an error. It can't be just these two examples to write it off as an error book. That's just my logic.