• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Action 1 used for insulation fetches $175K

32 posts in this topic

The book graded out a 1.5 and it went for more than the 100K that it was estimated at.

http://news.yahoo.com/rare-1938-superman-comic-book-found-u-wall-182722316.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A rare 75-year-old comic book featuring the debut of Superman found in a Minnesota home's wall fetched $175,000 at auction, comic book seller Comicconnect.com said on Wednesday.

The identity of the buyer in the online auction, which ended Tuesday, was not disclosed. The comic book, Action Comics No. 1 from June 1938, was the first appearance of the all-American superhero by writer Jerry Siegel and illustrator Joe Shuster.

It had been estimated to sell for about $100,000, Comicconnect.com CEO Stephen Fishler said, adding that there are about 100 remaining copies of the 250,000 original copies.

"It's so noteworthy because it was a historic milestone," Fishler told Reuters. "There was no such thing as a superhero or a man in costume (in 1938)."

The comic book was sold by building contractor David Gonzalez, who discovered it among newspapers used as insulation in a wall during a home renovation in Hoffman, Minnesota, about 150 miles northwest of Minneapolis.

Gonzalez bought the vacant 1938 home for $10,100, Fishler said.

The book's condition was graded 1.5 out of 10 because its back cover was accidentally ripped shortly after it was found.

"Conservatively, that's a $50,000 tear, but probably more," Fishler said.

A mint condition copy of Action Comics No. 1 would command about $3 million, Fishler said. A 9.5 graded copy of Action Comics No. 1 sold for $2.16 million in 2011.

Superman gets a big-screen reboot in the movie "Man of Steel," which opens in North America on Friday.

There is no way this is a true story.

Just too much of a long shot 2c

If you guys want to think a random house used a comic book, and the number 1 most sought after comic book at that as insulation, than I think you are misguided.

A marvelman book I'd believe and probably bid on, but the number 1 book?

Jimmy linguini

If you guys want to think a random house used a comic book, and the number 1 most sought after comic book at that as insulation, than I think you are misguided.

Jimmy linguini

there's nothing to prove the story isn't true.

Jimmy linguini

there's nothing to prove the story isn't true.

But the only proof that it was found in a house is comic link.

Considering all online articles were acting like this was a new find its very suspicious. 2c

Comicconnect.com CEO Stephen Fishler said, adding that there are about 100 remaining copies of the 250,000 original copies.

and a (new) copy seems to surface at every one of their featured auctions meh

Jimmy linguini

I don't know if this happened previously with key comic books, but something similar happened with old movie posters used as insulation for a house.

Jimmy linguini

I'd bet odds on winning the Powerball/lottery are higher, and people do that all the time.

There are even people who have been hit by lightning more than once.

IOW, just because odds are long doesn't mean it didn't happen.

-slym

Wow, what a "find" if this is legit. I've torn into the guts of my house, which was built in the early 30's and the only thing I've found other than more problems/work needing to be done were a few walnuts from when squirrels must have been living in the attic and a Skywalker card from the RotJ series, big cash money there.

This tells me there are a lot of people who have WAY too much money. The cover was detached and it sold for 175K? Ridiculous.
I don't think the sale was ridiculous. It's an Action #1

This tells me there are a lot of people who have WAY too much money. The cover was detached and it sold for 175K? Ridiculous.
I don't think the sale was ridiculous. It's an Action #1

I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't buy it if I was a millionaire, but there's still a level of insanity in buying a comic that has its cover detached for 175K, even if it's Superman.