• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Man of Steel is the new benchmark,as DC`s future is bright!

222 posts in this topic

Wolverine trailers blow! I highly doubt it will be successful in theaters.

No one I know after seeing the trailer is excited about this movie.

I have heard this countless times about the movie: The Wolverine

Red Box

Wait for it on HBO

Hopefully this will be Hugh Jackman's last major portrayal of the character. :wishluck:

Not sure what is going to be worse this movie or next summers Days of Future Past, you know the movie that just like the Wolverine will leave X-men fans wondering where they based their plot story-lines from. Sure isn't Wolverine LS 1-4 or X-men 141-142. :facepalm:

Now Im not saying MOS is as bad as Star Wars I II III but that might explain the box office numbers. Or the blind following. Most likely the latter

Then why was the opening weekend for "Superman Returns" only $52 million with significantly better reviews? That has me rather puzzled as well, and the only thing I can come up with to support the difference is that people heard this film was full of action and that's what they wanted to see. (shrug)

Great hype/promo job leading up to the movie which really built up excitement - maybe one of the best jobs ever done for a movie. Word of mouth was really strong also for people who saw the movie and it seems most of the people who disliked it were some movie critics and Marvel fans on the CGC boards.

Father's Day I know played a part but the Saturday to Sunday drop off was almost negligible in terms of box office receipts - obviously not a movie that people are seeing and not really enjoying.

I think it is too soon to talk of a ticket sales drop-off. I'd wait at least a week or two to judge this. It will be interesting to see what impact upcoming movies will have on Man of Steel future sales.

- Monsters University (6/21)

- World War Z (6/21)

- The Lone Ranger (7/3)

- Pacific Rim (7/12)

- Red 2 (7/17)

- The Wolverine (7/26)

- The Smurfs 2 (7/31) :P

I am one of the biggest Lone Ranger fans around and hope it does good, but I will be shocked if Lone Ranger does half of what Man of Steel just did at the box office.

Westerns have a really bad sterotype.

I love Westerns,but unfortunately most people think Westerns are boring.

2c

First of all I am a Marvel fan, but my favorite two characters have always been Superman and Batman.

I went into expecting Superman the Man of Steel to be on an Iron Man 3 level. I thought it be a good popcorn flick, well instead I was blown away at how the Man of Steel has set the benchmark for all future superhero movies! This will be a movie they will talk about for years to come. Man of Steel is an instant classic! There were moments in this movie that I knew I was watching something special.

You now ask yourself why CC has the critics of Rotten Tomatoes given a lukewarm response?

I answer because it isn`t meant for them, but is meant for millions of people like me who have played hardcore video games like Dead Space,Grand Theft Auto 4,Assasian`s Creed, Halo and Medal of Honor type games.

While millions of fans and I were being entertained and being exposed to groundbreaking games over the years we will find that the Rotten Tomatoes critics were pontificating over the importance of Black Swan and artsy fartsy type movies.

Now with that being said DC needed a Hail Mary type movie after the debacle of Green Lantern. Man of Steel is that Hail Mary and has put DC back on the map of relevancy! (thumbs u

One more thought is I would buy as many Darkseid and JLA keys as you can because the future of DC movies is very bright. :cloud9:

To Synder and Nolan a well done job,and a thank you for making Superman relavant again!

(worship)

I have to admit, I was surprised you liked it. Glad, but surprised. (thumbs u

I think it is too soon to talk of a ticket sales drop-off. I'd wait at least a week or two to judge this. It will be interesting to see what impact upcoming movies will have on Man of Steel future sales.

I prefer a more relaxed movie-going experience, so my grand plan was to see Star Trek Into Darkness right when Man Of Steel frenzy kicked in.

I was shocked to see it had been relegated to one or two showings per day. What's up with that? (shrug) Into Darkness has a 87/92 Rotten Tomatoes rating. And you would think Star Trek would have long-appeal as older viewers get off their butts to go see it.

Just seems dumb that a movie with such strong ratings and broad appeal gets pushed off to small rooms and movie taverns so quickly.

Guess I'll hit Man Of Steel this week, if I want to see it large and loud.

What`s puzzling to me is Star Trek is barely ahead of G.I. Joe:

Retaliation at the world wide box office! This is freaking Star Trek,and it should be smoking GI JOE and Fast and the Furious at the box office! Star Trek is iconic like Star Wars.

What I think what happened with Star Trek is it was too long of a wait. The last Star Trek movie was 2009. 4 years is a long wait, and people forgot how good the Star Trek reboot was. :sick:

First of all I am a Marvel fan, but my favorite two characters have always been Superman and Batman.

I went into expecting Superman the Man of Steel to be on an Iron Man 3 level. I thought it be a good popcorn flick, well instead I was blown away at how the Man of Steel has set the benchmark for all future superhero movies! This will be a movie they will talk about for years to come. Man of Steel is an instant classic! There were moments in this movie that I knew I was watching something special.

You now ask yourself why CC has the critics of Rotten Tomatoes given a lukewarm response?

I answer because it isn`t meant for them, but is meant for millions of people like me who have played hardcore video games like Dead Space,Grand Theft Auto 4,Assasian`s Creed, Halo and Medal of Honor type games.

While millions of fans and I were being entertained and being exposed to groundbreaking games over the years we will find that the Rotten Tomatoes critics were pontificating over the importance of Black Swan and artsy fartsy type movies.

Now with that being said DC needed a Hail Mary type movie after the debacle of Green Lantern. Man of Steel is that Hail Mary and has put DC back on the map of relevancy! (thumbs u

One more thought is I would buy as many Darkseid and JLA keys as you can because the future of DC movies is very bright. :cloud9:

To Synder and Nolan a well done job,and a thank you for making Superman relavant again!

(worship)

I have to admit, I was surprised you liked it. Glad, but surprised. (thumbs u

It was so good that I want to see it again this week!

This time it will be 3-D or IMAX! :cloud9:

Red Box

Wait for it on HBO

Hopefully this will be Hugh Jackman's last major portrayal of the character. :wishluck:

Not sure what is going to be worse this movie or next summers Days of Future Past, you know the movie that just like the Wolverine will leave X-men fans wondering where they based their plot story-lines from. Sure isn't Wolverine LS 1-4 or X-men 141-142. :facepalm:

You don't know anyone here? The usual magpies and sycophants were drooling when the Wolverine trailers dropped.

Looks like the Man of Steel weekend numbers are being updated.

Weekend Box Office: 'Man Of Steel' Soars To $128 Million Debut

WOW!

Man Of Steel debuted this weekend for a 3.25 day total of $128.7 million. If you count that whole figure as its opening weekend, then it not only trumps the $116.1 million debut of Alice In Wonderland for the second-best opening weekend for a non-sequel behind The Hunger Games‘s $152 million but becomes the 12th biggest debut ahead of the $128.1 million debut of Iron Man 2. But if you count just the $116.1 million Fri-Sun total as its opening weekend, which I generally do not, that puts Man Of Steel above the $110 million debut of Toy Story 3 for the June weekend record and ahead of Alice In Wonderland‘s $116.1 million but beyond the $121 million debut of Shrek the Third for the 15th biggest opening weekend in history. Big problems, I know…

Red Box

Wait for it on HBO

You don't know anyone here? The usual magpies and sycophants were drooling when the Wolverine trailers dropped.

Referring to people I know in the real world. (offline)

I prefer a more relaxed movie-going experience, so my grand plan was to see Star Trek Into Darkness right when Man Of Steel frenzy kicked in.

I was shocked to see it had been relegated to one or two showings per day. What's up with that? (shrug) Into Darkness has a 87/92 Rotten Tomatoes rating. And you would think Star Trek would have long-appeal as older viewers get off their butts to go see it.

Just seems dumb that a movie with such strong ratings and broad appeal gets pushed off to small rooms and movie taverns so quickly.

Retaliation at the world wide box office! This is freaking Star Trek,and it should be smoking GI JOE and Fast and the Furious at the box office! Star Trek is iconic like Star Wars.

What I think what happened with Star Trek is it was too long of a wait. The last Star Trek movie was 2009. 4 years is a long wait, and people forgot how good the Star Trek reboot was. :sick:

To make it worse, what's sucking up multi-plex real estate are gems like After Earth and The Purge. :screwy:

I really think if Into Darkness was still on a full schedule it would be pulling it's weight.

To make it worse, what's sucking up multi-plex real estate are gems like After Earth and The Purge. :screwy:

I really think if Into Darkness was still on a full schedule it would be pulling it's weight.

That is crazy. Star Trek should still be a steady offering out there.

That is crazy. Star Trek should still be a steady offering out there.

Quality science fiction has never had a big audience, which is why you rarely ever see it on network television.

Fast and Furious 6 is over $600 million worldwide! Wow!

Up until June, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson had a movie open in each of the last 4 months, 2 smaller budget and 2 large budget movies totaling almost 1.1 billion worldwide.

Fast and Furious 6 is over $600 million worldwide! Wow!

Up until June, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson had a movie open in each of the last 4 months, 2 smaller budget and 2 large budget movies totaling almost 1.1 billion worldwide.

He posted his first photo on the Hercules set. I hope he makes that one memorable as well, as Dwayne Johnson is just an amazing showman.

Although the model I always compare against is the incredible Steve Reeves.

41974L.jpg

I haven't liked any 3D aside from Avatar, so I specifically saw it yesterday in IMAX without 3D. I have hated post-production 3D, but if the 3D doesn't really add much, I far prefer to not have to wear the glasses.

It was so good that I want to see it again this week!

This time it will be 3-D or IMAX! :cloud9:

Ditto that (thumbs u

3D didn't add anything really, i'd go IMAX!

I agree - the 3D was forgetful (which is better than distracting) but I saw it both 3D IMAX and 2D. The IMAX size & sound were worth it but the 3D was neutral