• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

Mine right now is Daredevil #1. Marvel just got the rights back, and they're probably going to make a movie. Even if they don't, SA keys are selling like hot cakes right now, and this is a big one (while still being pretty cheap)

I'll give you 2 Strange Tales 110 will end up being the best of 2013 the book is/was undervalued on the up swing and if the movie is cool cha ching.

#2 Is HG Doc 169 because all those that left out of the 110 will want the next best thing. Both books are undervalued and with movie speculation will spike. Then sell at the height of the market.

As chris said the other books are blue chip and will stay steady unless you can hang on to them 5,10,20 years

Surprised to read that someone would choose Doctor Strange #169 over Strange Tales #115 as the next best thing investment-wise to having ST 110.

Mine right now is Daredevil #1. Marvel just got the rights back, and they're probably going to make a movie. Even if they don't, SA keys are selling like hot cakes right now, and this is a big one (while still being pretty cheap)

+1 and 1 for good measure. I'm surprised this wasn't listed in your original ten. I'm admittedly biased because DD is my favorite character.

But there's a reason I made it my mission to grab a copy of Daredevil #1 now - I think prices will soon skyrocket. The rights to Daredevil reverted back to Marvel recently. You know that Marvel will want to compete with the success of the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy - and I know Iron Man and Avengers and :blahblah: - I mean the serious, edginess to it. And Daredevil is the closest "dark" superhero that Marvel has comparable to Batman. The next Daredevil movie will be great and the book, which is the most unappreciated and undervalued Silver Age book out, will go up in value big time. Grab your copies now boys and girls... rantrant

People should just collect everything from a publisher that they enjoy. When something goes up be it movie news or whatever you can watch as your copies become the next hot thing. All this Guardians of the Galaxy stuff is crazy. So many issues have taken off (I personally don't feel they will remain hot) but its nice to say...oh I have that. :cloud9: Collecting has always been fun for me...not the idea of tying up money and when to dump the next hot book. I always thought ST #110 and Sgt Fury #1 were undervalued.

I'll give you 2 Strange Tales 110 will end up being the best of 2013 the book is/was undervalued on the up swing and if the movie is cool cha ching.

#2 Is HG Doc 169 because all those that left out of the 110 will want the next best thing. Both books are undervalued and with movie speculation will spike. Then sell at the height of the market.

As chris said the other books are blue chip and will stay steady unless you can hang on to them 5,10,20 years

Surprised to read that someone would choose Doctor Strange #169 over Strange Tales #115 as the next best thing investment-wise to having ST 110.

That struck me as well. I'd personally take a ST #115, but this may be a content vs. cover choice. For the cover/movie-oriented crowd, how about #126? Dormammu is rumored to be the film's villain, it's his 1st appearance, and he's on the cover.

Im going with dr.strange In strange tales 110,111,115 marvel premiere 3 and doc 169 also the 1st appearance of dormmmau(sp?)...,,,FF 45,48,49,50,52,53 I also think dardevil #7 will climb the first red suit.....

FF 52 has basically doubled in value in the last several months. Does anybody really believe this is nothing more than a speculative spike and 6 to 12 months after the movie will settle back down to Earth? I personally can't believe this is a new value level that will continue to increase from here on out... (shrug)

Comic fan preferences change over time, and it's a lot easier to get a double from $20 than from $2000 or even $200.

;)

Hard to disagree with this (thumbs u

Also, this is an amazingly Marvelcentric thread. If I was looking for books to invest in, I would strongly consider SA Archie first appearances and classic covers. Archie's Pals n Gals 23 (first appearance of Josie), Archie's Mad House 22 (first appearance of Sabrina), Josie 45 (first Pussycats) are just starting to take off. With GA Archie values through the roof, SA is likely to be getting a significant price bump in the next few years. My 2c worth of investment advice...

Top 10 SA investments for 2013:

- House of Secrets 81 in 9.0 or above

- House of Mystery 174 & 175 in 9.0 or above

- DC Special 5 in 9.0 or above

- G.I. Combat 138 in 9.0 or above

- Amazing Fantasy 15 (always an investment - at least in my lifetime) NG or higher

- Showcase 6 in any presentable grade or higher

- Brave and the Bold 34 in 7.0 or higher

- Fantastic Four 4 in just about any presentable grade and up

- Fantastic Four 5 - same as FF 4

Top 10 SA investments for 2013:

- House of Secrets 81 in 9.0 or above

- House of Mystery 174 & 175 in 9.0 or above

- DC Special 5 in 9.0 or above

- G.I. Combat 123 in 9.0 or above

- Amazing Fantasy 15 (always an investment - at least in my lifetime) NG or higher

- Showcase 6 in any presentable grade or higher

- Brave and the Bold 34 in 7.0 or higher

- Fantastic Four 4 in just about any presentable grade and up

- Fantastic Four 5 - same as FF 4

Solid list. Why the House of Mystery/Secrets books?

Great point about the Archies! I missed the GA boat, managing only a low-grade Jughead #1, but I wasn't thinking in that direction.

An BronzeJ, nice list. I have a source on two of those, but no money!

Brave and the Bold #34, huh? Brings back fond memories of a time in the 90s when that book was THE hot silver age ticket. For 2 or 3 months there, it was the book to have. I traded a VG copy and a ten dollar bill for my G- Tales of Suspense #39. Same dealer was completely disinterested in my B&B #28.

FF 52 has basically doubled in value in the last several months. Does anybody really believe this is nothing more than a speculative spike and 6 to 12 months after the movie will settle back down to Earth? I personally can't believe this is a new value level that will continue to increase from here on out... (shrug)

I think it will only go up as doc strange will. The panther is rumored to have his own CBM coming out along with strange so we'll see....

Comic fan preferences change over time, and it's a lot easier to get a double from $20 than from $2000 or even $200.

;)

Hard to disagree with this (thumbs u

Also, this is an amazingly Marvelcentric thread. If I was looking for books to invest in, I would strongly consider SA Archie first appearances and classic covers. Archie's Pals n Gals 23 (first appearance of Josie), Archie's Mad House 22 (first appearance of Sabrina), Josie 45 (first Pussycats) are just starting to take off. With GA Archie values through the roof, SA is likely to be getting a significant price bump in the next few years. My 2c worth of investment advice...

I am not sure I am there on the Archies. A large amount of the fans are moving to fixed income and it does not resonate with younger collectors (say 35ish and younger). While I agree you will see a short-term gain, I don't think these books will necessarily be worth significant more than a regular inflation rate. However, if you are looking at flipping them in 2-5 years, I totally agree.

This would also be my caution on GA books that feature characters that haven't been in mainstream media for 30+ years. Collectors now can be huge fans, but it is the next generation of "earners" who will set the pricing. A good example is Archie, people under the age of 35 are likely overall uninterested (always exceptions, but this is representative of the general public). However, this is not the point of the thread.

If you believe that, I think you don't have a grasp on the Archie market.

But, you are correct, I was looking at a several year investment horizon. 20+ years, I don't have the slightest idea what the comic market will bring...

But, you are correct, I was looking at a several year investment horizon. 20+ years, I don't have the slightest idea what the comic market will bring...

Granted, many people will buy and sell Archie comics in the next 15 years. I think Archie has been around for about 74 years now, but hasn't been relevant to new readers in 25+ years.

I just look at the character and where the exposure is on a daily basis. The reality is that there just isn't any. The main delivery was/is in a dead medium (other than the comics) and there isn't a whole lot to introduce the character to any "new users." Just like many collectibles before it, the character has great value when the purchasing majority sees relevance and wants to collect. When the purchasing majority shifts, so will the value.

Honestly, if there isn't a significant intervention, he will disappear (among many other characters). Grasp on the market or not.

Granted, many people will buy and sell Archie comics in the next 15 years. I think Archie has been around for about 74 years now, but hasn't been relevant to new readers in 25+ years.

I just look at the character and where the exposure is on a daily basis. The reality is that there just isn't any. The main delivery was/is in a dead medium and there isn't a whole lot to introduce the character to any "new users." Just like many collectibles before it, the character has great value when the purchasing majority sees relevance and wants to collect. When the purchasing majority shifts, so will the value.

Honestly, if there isn't a significant intervention, he will disappear (among many other characters). Grasp on the market or not.

C'mon dude! Archie is firmly rooted in our culture.I went to a grocery store just today,and there was Archie books at the counter.