• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is a better buy ToS39 or Avengers1?

27 posts in this topic

Buying to read, keep, invest...kindling?

GPA last sale

Avengers 1 1.8 - $710 ($580 is 12 month low)

TOS 39 1.5 - $725 ($625 is 12 month low)

Statistically these growths are too close to call a clear winner, TOS slightly ahead.

My personal opinion is that both issues are good buys, but Avengers has more upside.

Can't really go wrong!

Definitely TOS 39.. As much as how successful the Avengers movie did, Avengers 1 didn't really seem to have a drastic upward in price compared to other keys that had their movies released. Basically stayed about the same price. I wasn't too surprised by it.

It's a close call, but as a tie-breaker I would go with TOS 39 -- if for any reason, because TOS 39 is not as common as Avengers 1. Check out the CGC census on both. TOS 39: 1,237 graded books. Avengers 1: 1,971.

In other words, and I'm speaking in general, getting an Avengers 1 is not as difficult as getting a TOS 39.

Also, TOS 39 has more staying power. I remember at comic cons as recently as 2005, you couldn't give away an Avengers 1 ... while TOS 39 has always had long-standing appeal.

My 2c:

TOS 39 is the 1st appearance of a major character.

Avengers 1 is the 1st appearance of a team of characters that have appeared before (including the one from TOS).

This is an eerily similar argument/discussion happening in another thread (Brave and the Bold 28 versus Showcase 22). In this case, both books are already well established staples of comic collecting and I am not sure arguing whether a first appearance of a character or team will gain the OP any insight into their question.

The original question was about investment, consensus seemed to be that TOS 39 was the better money play.

Don't neccesarily agree, but whom am I to disagree with this panel of experts! (worship)

Honestly, can't go too wrong with either!

As long as I can remember Avengers#1 was a Dog, BUT, I think its because it was common as dirt and it isnt a "first" app, unless you play the All-star#3 JSA card, although FF is technically the first Marvel super group. The big reality is that people like what is rare and a cool cover never hurts. If only Avengers #1 had #4 cap cover....

I personally plan to acquire a copy some day as I enjoy all early marvel. If I had to pick one, I would buy TOS 39 (since I own a copy I am biased to some extent).

Pre 63 Circle 12 cent marvel wins every time. I'd take JIM 83 and Hulk 1 over an Avengers 1 as well.

+1 Love the circle 10 and 12 early Marvels even if the stories got better afterwards.

Pre 63 Circle 12 cent marvel wins every time. I'd take JIM 83 and Hulk 1 over an Avengers 1 as well.

+1 Love the circle 10 and 12 early Marvels even if the stories got better afterwards.

pioneered Marvel into a powerhouse