• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

Found this posting by Paul Litch

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5151595#Post5151595

"If you are an active CAW of CGC or an active Facilitator of CGC Signature Series Signings you need to remember the Code of Conduct you agreed to. Here is a reminder: CGC Signature Series Facilitators (or CAW's) shall conduct themselves in a kind, courteous and professional manner when dealing with creators, CGC customers, members of the Collector Society Chat Boards, CGC employees, CGC CAW’s and other CGC Signature Series Facilitators.

If CGC feels there is a failiure to live up to the Code of Conduct that was agreed upon by your contract, here is another reminder: Repeated disregard for the stated rules will lead to re-evaluation, suspension or termination of CGC Signature Series Facilitator (or CAW) status, as well as CGC Member Dealer and/or Collector’s Society privileges. Any conduct detrimental to the integrity or confidence in the CGC Signature Series Program will result in severing all ties with the CGC Signature Series Facilitator (or CAW)."

ok, so let me understand this LS. Instead of just banning terrible facilitators who over and over cause problems with creators for SS, we should all come up with ideas and solutions to make the program better?

Here's my solution, ban the big one and things will clear up quickly.

Apologize much?

What do you think the odds are of CGC banning a facilitator that brings in a considerable amount of submissions year round? I'm guessing zero or less hence the suggestion of revising to program to improve it.

I don't recall apologizing for anything, particularly since there's nothing for me to apologize for so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

So let's not ban a facilitator who brings in a considerable amount of submissions just because of constant reckless behavior? So revenue > than behavior? Even though it's causing havoc within the SS program and against the CGC brand name?

Rather than stopping behavior we should have a "Kumbaya" moment around the campfire? Maybe have a couple of beers, sing some songs? Figure out how to make the program better around the facilitator, since there is nothing that can be done anyway?

That's not at all what I said or what my post implied should happen. If you want to see some follow through on it though take it to the powers that be. I'm guessing the amount of revenue generated will cause those ears the complaint falls on to be deaf.

In the big picture of SS, CGC isn't going to listen to the likes of me, I'm not even a blip on their radar. Maybe you'd have some luck with it.

Personally, I would like it if all featured guests offered private signings during a convention as that would guarantee me getting those signatures that are sometimes deemed 'too tough'.

Additionally, I think CGC should develop a tiered corrective action program (not unlike what is in place in most workplaces).

For example:

1st Incident - Verbal Warning / Reminder of Code of Conduct

2nd Incident - One convention suspension

3rd Incident - 3 month suspension

4th Incident - 1 year suspension

5th Incident - End of partnership

Found this posting by Paul Litch

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5151595#Post5151595

"If you are an active CAW of CGC or an active Facilitator of CGC Signature Series Signings you need to remember the Code of Conduct you agreed to. Here is a reminder: CGC Signature Series Facilitators (or CAW's) shall conduct themselves in a kind, courteous and professional manner when dealing with creators, CGC customers, members of the Collector Society Chat Boards, CGC employees, CGC CAW’s and other CGC Signature Series Facilitators.

If CGC feels there is a failiure to live up to the Code of Conduct that was agreed upon by your contract, here is another reminder: Repeated disregard for the stated rules will lead to re-evaluation, suspension or termination of CGC Signature Series Facilitator (or CAW) status, as well as CGC Member Dealer and/or Collector’s Society privileges. Any conduct detrimental to the integrity or confidence in the CGC Signature Series Program will result in severing all ties with the CGC Signature Series Facilitator (or CAW)."

So the rules are in place. Now we just need those that created the rules to enforce them. Ahhhh...but that's the crux of the problem, isn't it? Apparently, they are aware but nothing has been done. So while the majority of CAWs and Facilitators not only follow the rules, but bend over backward to keep the program in a good light, a select few repeatedly screw it up. Now, that minority has screwed it up to the point that a major player in comics has changed their policy regarding signings. If that is not a red flag, what is?

bd68869d3cd2e207d7692c939d15f712_zpsf2715086.jpg

fb7d5cf23f09f80d5594d2a78dac1b42_zps875bd713.jpg
It's not me or anyone in the Signature Room you need to plead this case so go ahead and think you're witty with your memes while nothing gets done. Again.

And just for those of you who are trying to push this all off on one party let me just refresh what was said earlier in the thread.

Yes, DWC was the straw that broke the back, but they did what many other facilitators have done in the past, distribute books to others in line because of a per book limit. Many Facilitators have done this (heck, back in the day CGC did this), so let’s hold off with the pitchforks.

So perhaps you should stop trying to make this about just one facilitator.

apologize much? and no it wasn't just passing a book in line.
I'd still like to know what exactly it is you think I'm apologizing for. Nowhere in anything I've said have I made an apology for anyone or anything.

One facilitator, two, twenty-two, who cares? The beauty of the program is that it inspired confidence, past tense. Obviously CGC won't control the people in the field who represent them.

In the autograph business, confidence and reputation are everything, whether it is sports figures, movie stars, musicians, astronauts, or even comic book creators that one collects. Consumers need to believe that what they are buying is authentic and legitimate. An added bonus is confidence that the signatures were obtained ethically. Once I understood the program, I never had a problem paying more for a CGC SS over a raw book. That has changed.

If facilitators are not treating signers and their representatives with respect, why should anyone assume that they will treat their customers or CGC with respect? A good friend always told me, "the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior," and this holds true for organizations as well as individuals. There are facilitators whose behavior indicates that they are not concerned with their agreement with CGC for whatever reason, so they will ignore said agreement and do as they want. CGC's behavior indicates that they are not concerned about these facilitators' behavior and have chosen to ignore it. The combined behavior of these entities should concern anyone associated with the program as they are leading to a breakdown in trust.

I am stepping back and reevaluating where I am spending my money. I want to believe that the people getting signatures for me are treating those signing with the respect and admiration that I would if I were there because ultimately, they are representing me. I think that is something that is getting lost in all of this, the facilitators are not only representing CGC, they are representing all of us. If one of us looks bad, we all look bad. It is unfortunate, but true.

All of this being said, I will be taking a break from CGC SS. This isn't goodbye (yet) but rather taking some time to see if I can, in good conscience, keep spending money on a program that won't enforce the rules it put forward. I am well aware that the majority of facilitators represent the best parts of all collectors and have made no moral, ethical, or legal breach whatsoever. Unfortunately, there are those who have done so and using the yardstick of past behavior, they will continue to do so and nothing will be done to put a stop to it.

I am stepping back and reevaluating where I am spending my money. I want to believe that the people getting signatures for me are treating those signing with the respect and admiration that I would if I were there because ultimately, they are representing me.

+1

Well said. This is exactly where I am at. I do not want to spend my money with individuals who are not representing the hobby, and by extension me, with the appropriate respect and behavior.

I am stepping back and reevaluating where I am spending my money. I want to believe that the people getting signatures for me are treating those signing with the respect and admiration that I would if I were there because ultimately, they are representing me.

+1

Well said. This is exactly where I am at. I do not want to spend my money with individuals who are not representing the hobby, and by extension me, with the appropriate respect and behavior.

I will always respect you bro!

+1

+ many more I suspect, but definitely me. I spend a lot of money with CGC every year either directly or indirectly and if the integrity or the authenticity of my SS books all of a sudden is put to question I can start spending it elsewhere for sure.

+1

+ many more I suspect, but definitely me. I spend a lot of money with CGC every year either directly or indirectly and if the integrity or the authenticity of my SS books all of a sudden is put to question I can start spending it elsewhere for sure.

Hang on slim. Nobody is saying anything about the integrity of the books. The problem is limited to the effect that certain people's action may or may not be having on creators and publishers. It's not that the books are any less legitimate.

I have some green label books that stand for the proposition that CGC is protective of the witnessing protocols.

I do mind. Transplant minds. This will not stand. This green label aggression will not stand, man!