• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

It is quite a complex issue. CGC has made it clear that it is very comfortable not controlling the Yellow label. It has also made it clear that volume of subs is the overarching goal. Neither of those things are bad in the abstract, but it does bring to mind the story of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs (or the golden label in this case).

Pushing volume to the point where facilitators need to be more and more aggressive, just to get the job done is counter productive. Frankly, I am tired of having creators see window bags and immediately become Angry Cat. The window bag has become the universal sign of the "bad Ebay flipper, non-fan."

If we can't create some kind of detente between facilitators that need to get people's books done and creators who, many times, have the worst possible impression of the program, it is going to get more and more difficult to get Yellow label books. And more expensive.

I have been banging my shoe about this for years, admittedly not in the most productive fashion. But it is the most urgent issue in the program right now, and it behooves us all to work on a mutually satisfactory solution post haste!

How many strikes have I gotten pounding points about this home. They won't do anything to DWC, it will be the comic companies that ultimately shut down the SS program. I will always treasure my celebrity signed books.

+1.

I hate the idea that a certain company can try and "corner" the CGC Sig Series market when it comes to certain artists, creators etc.

This just goes against what I think the whole program is about.

It is not a DWC problem. It is an endemic problem. From Al Plastino being upset because of Blackstar's pricing, to DC making its decision at SD, to creators like Mike Dringenberg being so jaded about Ebay slabs that he Sadfanned up books at ECCC.

The perception of the yellow label is that it is a cash grab. And the perception of the Yellow label is that everyone involved is a bunch of dirty flippers. It minimizes the true state of affairs to point the finger at any one facilitator. That is not to say that some facilitators are not magnets for problems, but the main issue is the Yellow label and the way that it is (not) managed in house. There are too many cooks in the kitchen and to many people that are pushing "authorized CGC this-and-that."

As I have said for years, CGC needs to manage its own brand, and control the reputation and product that it has built, both upon the sweat of its own brow, and upon the slavish devotion of yellow label fans around the world.

It is quite a complex issue. CGC has made it clear that it is very comfortable not controlling the Yellow label. It has also made it clear that volume of subs is the overarching goal. Neither of those things are bad in the abstract, but it does bring to mind the story of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs (or the golden label in this case).

Pushing volume to the point where facilitators need to be more and more aggressive, just to get the job done is counter productive. Frankly, I am tired of having creators see window bags and immediately become Angry Cat. The window bag has become the universal sign of the "bad Ebay flipper, non-fan."

If we can't create some kind of detente between facilitators that need to get people's books done and creators who, many times, have the worst possible impression of the program, it is going to get more and more difficult to get Yellow label books. And more expensive.

I have been banging my shoe about this for years, admittedly not in the most productive fashion. But it is the most urgent issue in the program right now, and it behooves us all to work on a mutually satisfactory solution post haste!

How many strikes have I gotten pounding points about this home. They won't do anything to DWC, it will be the comic companies that ultimately shut down the SS program. I will always treasure my celebrity signed books.

+1.

I hate the idea that a certain company can try and "corner" the CGC Sig Series market when it comes to certain artists, creators etc.

This just goes against what I think the whole program is about.

I think the SS means different things to different people. TO many people (who tend to have disposable income), its a funner part of an already fun hobby. Nothing wrong with that. But to some people, whether out of comic love or for money or for both, they've chosen to make SS facilitating their living. And if it was my living, you can bet for dam sure I'd be cornering every dam thing in the market (that I can afford) whether it be artists, writers, pen colors, cons, days of the week, letters of the alphabet, and I'd be as organized, professional, and courteous about it as humanly possible. It might be a community, but its also a competitive business, and I think that's ok. You do everything legally, and within the rules in place (if we need more rules, that's a different topic), but then you compete as hard as you can. I'm actually not the kind of person to be in that kind of work or mentality, but I think its perfectly reasonable for some people to be that way.

But if you eff it up, gotta be prepared to take the consequences too, but those are because of specific actions, not just the because of a profit motivation (although certainly motivations can lead wise and unwise actions).

It is not a DWC problem. It is an endemic problem. From Al Plastino being upset because of Blackstar's pricing, to DC making its decision at SD, to creators like Mike Dringenberg being so jaded about Ebay slabs that he Sadfanned up books at ECCC.

The perception of the yellow label is that it is a cash grab. And the perception of the Yellow label is that everyone involved is a bunch of dirty flippers. It minimizes the true state of affairs to point the finger at any one facilitator. That is not to say that some facilitators are not magnets for problems, but the main issue is the Yellow label and the way that it is (not) managed in house. There are too many cooks in the kitchen and to many people that are pushing "authorized CGC this-and-that."

As I have said for years, CGC needs to manage its own brand, and control the reputation and product that it has built, both upon the sweat of its own brow, and upon the slavish devotion of yellow label fans around the world.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this. The problem though comes in fact that SS opps would be limited to cons that CGC is attending/willing to send a CAW to or opps that CGC sets up and accepts mail-ins subs for. I know they've done some but they don't seem to happen very often. It makes me wonder if it's not time for the program to be reviewed and possibly revamped again. (shrug)

I'm inclined to agree with you on this. The problem though comes in fact that SS opps would be limited to cons that CGC is attending/willing to send a CAW to or opps that CGC sets up and accepts mail-ins subs for. I know they've done some but they don't seem to happen very often. It makes me wonder if it's not time for the program to be reviewed and possibly revamped again. (shrug)

Maybe the CGC SS program SHOULD be limited to situations where CGC is there. (sorry if that's blasphemy and I know there are people's livelihoods that can be impacted.) Maybe it should be something where a person, or a friend of a person who is a genuine fan goes up to an artist, shakes his hand and gets a signature on his/her favorite book and has then has the sig graded/authenticated for posterity.

Then facilitators can get paid to take the books w/official CGC witnesses to get sigs too, if they're inclined to provide that service. This way CGC still has total control over the whole process. And IF a person plans to have a witness for more than a certain number of books on a given day, then they pay an additional fee for monopolizing the time of the witness (the cost of which can be passed on to the end customer).

I know this won't happen, but it doesn't sound horrible to me.

Then facilitators can get paid to take the books w/official CGC witnesses to get sigs too, if they're inclined to provide that service. This way CGC still has total control over the whole process.
This is how it's done now in many instances if I'm not mistaken. :makepoint:lol

Then facilitators can get paid to take the books w/official CGC witnesses to get sigs too, if they're inclined to provide that service. This way CGC still has total control over the whole process.
This is how it's done now in many instances if I'm not mistaken. :makepoint:lol

ah but maybe this should be the ONLY way its done.

Hi everyone,

Yes, DC Comics no longer will allow people with an exhibitor badge line up and get books signed by creators that are signing at the DC booth.

Yes, DWC was the straw that broke the back, but they did what many other facilitators have done in the past, distribute books to others in line because of a per book limit. Many Facilitators have done this (heck, back in the day CGC did this), so let’s hold off with the pitchforks.

What does this mean to CGC and Sig Series collectors? Not much. We are free to set up private signings with the creators after hours, much like we did with Campbell & Kirkman at SDCC this past weekend. In fact, Jim Lee signed plenty of books this weekend at various private signings. Also, DC Comics sets up at 4 shows a year; this will only affect those shows. These creators are still obtainable.

DC Comics would prefer that CGC work with their creators directly, so that is the direction we are going to go.

Further, as we understand it, DC has no issue with someone with a day pass getting a book or 2 signed and a CGC witness being present. This is was put into effect, by DC, to counter a pile of books clogging the signing and/or exhibitors “crop dusting” the line.

No one is getting cut out. The route to the signatures for DC creators that are signing at the DC booth for 4 shows out of the season has changed. Will it cost more? Most likely it will, for certain creators at certain shows. Doubtful that is will be across the board.

It makes me wonder if it's not time for the program to be reviewed and possibly revamped again. (shrug)

Maybe you are right. Everyone feel free to PM or email (plitch@cgccomics.com) me ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

-Paul

Maybe you are right. Everyone feel free to PM or email (plitch@cgccomics.com) me ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

-Paul

My only suggestion is this: drink your beer more slowly so that you actually enjoy it. And quit being a bad influence. Driving home on Monday super hung over sucked and I blame you entirely for this.

Good seeing you in San Diego, Paul. Always a good time.

Ryan

Great Con and a lot of Great books got done.

I want to thank Steve_Paulus for helping me get some Superman books signed by

Jon Bogdanove, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Mike Carlin, and Dan Jurgens. Thank you very much!!

One of the frustrating at things at the was that the exhibitor badges (I had one) made it very difficult or down right excluded you from purchasing exclusives, and in the case of DC Comics kept you from getting signatures.

This was not just CGC or DC comics, there were other exclusives you could not get with a dealer badge. I think it was Hasboro that would not give tickets to exhibitor badges.

After the Jim Lee signing I went to we were in a CGC huddle waiting for the last person for grading to make it through the line an employee of DC asked us what we were doing. We told him "We are with CGC and waiting for one more".

He said OK.

In the Greg Cappulo line Scott Snyder unexpectedly showed up and started signing. I had someone outside the line ask if I could get them a Snyder Signature which I did. This book was not to be graded. Asking for sigs is not a CGC SS exclusive.

From what I could tell CGC is not being exculded Dealers are. Not just at DC but other exclusives as well.

Great Con and a lot of Great books got done.

I want to thank Steve_Paulus for helping me get some Superman books signed by

Jon Bogdanove, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Mike Carlin, and Dan Jurgens. Thank you very much!!

One of the frustrating at things at the was that the exhibitor badges (I had one) made it very difficult or down right excluded you from purchasing exclusives, and in the case of DC Comics kept you from getting signatures.

This was not just CGC or DC comics, there were other exclusives you could not get with a dealer badge. I think it was Hasboro that would not give tickets to exhibitor badges.

After the Jim Lee signing I went to we were in a CGC huddle waiting for the last person for grading to make it through the line an employee of DC asked us what we were doing. We told him "We are with CGC and waiting for one more".

He said OK.

In the Greg Cappulo line Scott Snyder unexpectedly showed up and started signing. I had someone outside the line ask if I could get them a Snyder Signature which I did. This book was not to be graded. Asking for sigs is not a CGC SS exclusive.

From what I could tell CGC is not being exculded Dealers are. Not just at DC but other exclusives as well.

No problem... any time! I was nice meeting you!

Hi everyone,

Yes, DC Comics no longer will allow people with an exhibitor badge line up and get books signed by creators that are signing at the DC booth.

Yes, DWC was the straw that broke the back, but they did what many other facilitators have done in the past, distribute books to others in line because of a per book limit. Many Facilitators have done this (heck, back in the day CGC did this), so let’s hold off with the pitchforks.

What does this mean to CGC and Sig Series collectors? Not much. We are free to set up private signings with the creators after hours, much like we did with Campbell & Kirkman at SDCC this past weekend. In fact, Jim Lee signed plenty of books this weekend at various private signings. Also, DC Comics sets up at 4 shows a year; this will only affect those shows. These creators are still obtainable.

DC Comics would prefer that CGC work with their creators directly, so that is the direction we are going to go.

Further, as we understand it, DC has no issue with someone with a day pass getting a book or 2 signed and a CGC witness being present. This is was put into effect, by DC, to counter a pile of books clogging the signing and/or exhibitors “crop dusting” the line.

No one is getting cut out. The route to the signatures for DC creators that are signing at the DC booth for 4 shows out of the season has changed. Will it cost more? Most likely it will, for certain creators at certain shows. Doubtful that is will be across the board.

It makes me wonder if it's not time for the program to be reviewed and possibly revamped again. (shrug)

-Paul

I kind of feel special for having been quoted in this instance. :blush:lol

This whole thread explains something I was very confused about during my first time at SDCC this last week.

I'm fairly new to the SS game and cons in general (this was only my second real con). Based on tips here, I've always windowed most all of my books for sigs unless they are clear reader copies - regardless of whether I submit them or not - helps protect them and keep the sigs in an area I think looks nice.

This SDCC I waited in line for Jim Lee sigs and had all my books windowed, and when I put them down with a big smile on my face (I was super excited to meet him and have him sign them), he wouldn't even make eye contact with me - signed and passed them down the line.

I was disheartened and guessed that he was just really tired from the con. The thought did cross my mind that he might think I was going to turn around and just sell them for profit, but I figured my personal demeanor would have more of an impact on that judgement than the care which I took with my books.

Now though, I'm pretty confident it was the latter, which makes me sad, cause I have no intention of flipping the books. I can't rule out having to sell them someday, but for now, I just wanted to add 5 sweet books of his to my collection with sigs.

Makes me sad that me getting sigs with windowed books probably got him annoyed in that moment and heightened his personal "cynic meter" - especially since I'm such a huge fan of his :sorry:

I just read the WHOLE Sadfann thread. Was there ever any resolution between Mike, Sean and Jake?