• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

I only own one Okajima pedigree, from 1951.

I just noticed this book, a Wonder Woman 49 from 1951 has a simliar hand written code on the cover. Can anyone tell me if this may be an Okajima pedigree ?

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=12668&GSub=897

probably not, I've never seen a distribution code written in that way in that place on a 50s Okajima.

I'd expect to see the code written on the left inside (if possible) or near the W in Wonder.

agree with Miracle, that book does have a distributers code but I do not believe it to be the Okajima code :( and we would love to see your 51 book :)

Edited by Griff

Thanks to an e-mail from miraclemet, I just found out that the great Okajima debate was raging here on the boards! As has been previously discussed in the thread, I purchased roughly 1/3 of the books, and issued the COA's for those books when I sold them. When I purchased the original lot, I made a detailed inventory list (which I still have), and noted all markings on the front and back covers. I also made color xerox copies of many of the covers. I'll dig out my original file, and see if I can add anything to this thread. I'll cross check your "probable" list against my inventory notes, but I know that most on there are correct. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe the All New #11 is an Okajima, unless there's markings I don't see. A few points that you've been discussing, I can speak to, without checking the files to refresh my memory. I spent countless man hours trying to get the story behind the collection, and trying to track down the missing 2/3 of the books. I spoke with a relative by phone, and that's how the story of the camp came to light. I also discovered a hand written letter tucked into one of the comics, and from that sample, I can say to a relative certainty that the "Okajima" -script on the camp books was written by the original owner, not a worker at the camp, or a relative. There are a few lower grade copies in the pedigree, because the comics were stored in an outside shed, and some of the books on the bottom of the stacks had damage from the elements, and from insects. I also kept a few books from the collection (some are books from the camp era, but not all), which have never seen the light of day, so I'll dig those out and make some scans.

Thanks to an e-mail from miraclemet, I just found out that the great Okajima debate was raging here on the boards! As has been previously discussed in the thread, I purchased roughly 1/3 of the books, and issued the COA's for those books when I sold them. When I purchased the original lot, I made a detailed inventory list (which I still have), and noted all markings on the front and back covers. I also made color xerox copies of many of the covers. I'll dig out my original file, and see if I can add anything to this thread. I'll cross check your "probable" list against my inventory notes, but I know that most on there are correct. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe the All New #11 is an Okajima, unless there's markings I don't see. A few points that you've been discussing, I can speak to, without checking the files to refresh my memory. I spent countless man hours trying to get the story behind the collection, and trying to track down the missing 2/3 of the books. I spoke with a relative by phone, and that's how the story of the camp came to light. I also discovered a hand written letter tucked into one of the comics, and from that sample, I can say to a relative certainty that the "Okajima" -script on the camp books was written by the original owner, not a worker at the camp, or a relative. There are a few lower grade copies in the pedigree, because the comics were stored in an outside shed, and some of the books on the bottom of the stacks had damage from the elements, and from insects. I also kept a few books from the collection (some are books from the camp era, but not all), which have never seen the light of day, so I'll dig those out and make some scans.
:applause: Can't wait to see those scans!

Could you scan and post the letter that you mentioned? I think everyone would enjoy seeing that.

Alan (im assuming that's who this is!) thanks so much for helping with this endeavor, it certainly wouldn't be possible with out your records/experience. What ever info you can share would be amazing. If its easier to mail photo copies, please let me know, I'm more than happy to shoulder any part of the load (scanning, etc) to make this easy for you.

Also thanks for taking notes when you purchased your part of the collection. I wish every dealer was so thorough!

Edited by Miraclemet

I'd also like take a second to thank EVERYONE who's contributed (big and small) to this research.

From sharing oral histories, to digging through your own collection to check markings on your own Okajima books...

From posting past threads that had other info, to just "keeping an eye out" when you are surfing the web and the con circuit...

I think the Okajima pedigree has the BEST original owner story, and I think it deserves to be mentioned along side the great pedigrees if not for the size of the collection and the condition of the books then for the way in which the collection was built by the original owner.

I'll just quote again some of the reasons that add to the "specialness" of this collection

1. The Original owner was female. Know how many other peds were collected by females? None that I can think of, especially not in the Golden Age. I look at the books she read, she was reading everything, all sorts of books, and they were all "geared" for boys. No Animal books in collection, only one or two romance (and they were Venus, so not really romance). She read super heroes, war stories, crime everything the boys would be reading. Thats awesome to me.

2. We've all collected during "hard" times. Financial hard times, times where there wasn't a comic shop near by.. .but this girl kept collecting while dealing with INTERNMENT! Now some internment camps weren't too bad. People who worked got day passes to go to their jobs and just had to report back after work (check out, check in), but kids stayed in the camps in almost all instances. So these books were an ABSOLUTE escape for her. And money in many instances was super tight, so the fact that she was able to continue buying books week after week is amazing. Either her father had a very good job, or she was old enough to have some work inside the camp to pay for her hobby. The fact that she kept collecting through all this is amazing to me. Look at the dates she bought books. She'd go back to the Canteen sometimes within a few days of the last visit to pick up another book or two. Did someone work there save her a copy behind the desk? Did she work at the shop, sweeping floors, doing chores to "pay" for the books? Its all a testamant to how much she loved comics, and how important the medium was to her.

3. I love the fact that there are war books in her collection. She's in an internment camp because of the war, but there are copies of Captain America, Fightin' Yank and other "war" comics right there. Some with Cap punching a japanese soldier right there on the cover. Makes me think she maintained her love of country (in some fashion) DESPITE what it was doing to her and her family. Amazing.

4. Camps Guards were not all honorable. Did she have money/books stolen from her when the guards did their random house checks/sweeps? Did she have a place she hid the books away from the house to keep them safe?

5. Families got moved around. Both within the camp (changing houses) and between camps. She has one book that has the unique note of "Camp 3" The idea that she was likely able to relocate during her internment with her collection in hand is amazing that it didnt get tossed along the way. Again, a testament to the importance these books held to her.

6. The code. Her little alphanumeric code makes me want to find all the books throughout the timeline of her internment. I havent found a single book that pre-dated the Internment act. The first ped book, Starting Comics #24, might have been from right when she arrived (it does have the "Okajima" ---script that she used to tag her books) but it has no code. The first code I've found is from 2/22/44 with a "2j" and that date is two YEARS after Rosevelt authorized all the Internment (which had already started). What was going on before that point? Where are the books with codes prior to 2j? Is there a 1 series? [we've found a few more early books since then including the Human Torch #14 with a 1 series code!]

There's just so much that adds color and context to this pedigree above all the other ones. I cant think of another pedigree with a better story. It all paints a rich picture of the collector, some of it fabricated in my mind's storytelling attempts to fill the gap for sure, but it is such a compelling pedigree because of it.

Thanks everyone for contributing, and CONTINUING to contribute to this treasure hunt for books and information around the Okajima pedigree.

Alan,

The list is a big thing to me, please please please give us a copy of the list ! And I want to reiterate what miracle said Thank you everyone who has been helping out :) !

Griff

OK....here's what light I can shed on your "probable" list:

Probable Okajima Books

Air Fighter Comics V2N9….not on my lists

All new comics 11 raw….not on my lists

Candy 10...on the master list

Candy 17...on the master list

Candy 35...on the master list

Captain Marvel Adventures 36 CGC 6.0...not on my lists

Jo-Jo (8)(9) CGC'ed but not labled as Okajima CGC 9.2...not on my list

Jungle 113 Raw...on the list, 7 3 31 on fc, and Apr 2 1949 date stamp on bc

Kaanga Comics 5 CGC 6.0...on the list, 7 7/25 on fc, 7-25-50 in pencil on bc

Jumbo Comics 136 136 CGC 7.5...on the list, 5-10-50 in pen on bc

Jungle Comics 140 CGC 6.5..on the list, + 7-11-51 in pencil on bc

Mary Marvel 5...not on my list

Mystery Comics 1 CGC 9.0….not on my list

National Comics 45...on the master list

National Comics 46...on the master list

Nyoka, The Jungle Girl #14 (CGC 9.4)...on the master list

Nyoka, The Jungle Girl #18 (CGC 9.0)..on the master list

Nyoka, The Jungle Girl #26 (CGC 9.0)...not on my list

Rangers Comics 44 CGC 9.0...on the master list

Shadow Comics v4n9 CGC 7.0...not on my list

Star Spangled Comics 33 CGC 7.0...not on my list

Teen Comics 35 Raw...on the master list,

Thrilling 60...not on my list

Thrilling 61 CGC 9.2 Okajima...on the master list

Thrilling 63..on the list, Oct 11 1947 date stamp bc

Thrilling 66 back is date-stamped April 12, 1948

Venus 15 Raw….not on my list

Wings Comics 100 CGC 9.2...not on my list

Wings Comics 105..not on my list

Wow Comics #29 CGC 6.0….on the master list

Wow Comics #23 CGC 8.0...not on my list (or should this say 32?...if so, then yes, on the list).

I should clarify that if I say they are not on my list, it doesn't necessarily mean they are not Okajimas, just that I never owned them.

One correction....the Nyoka #26 is a confirmed Okajima. though not on my original lists, I did confirm it, and the CGC holder notes that it's an Okajima.

As for Okajimas that I own....three are camp era books:

Captain Midnight #22 Okajima -script, 6-23-44, 3z on fc, CGC'd 8.0 wp, now cracked out of the case.

Thrilling Comics #42 Okajima -script, 4-15-44, 3A on fc

Whiz Comics #56 Okajima -script, 6-27-44, 4A on fc, cgc'd 8.5, now cracked out

five other post camp books that are not on your list:

Blazing West #11

Hooded Horseman #21

Jumbo #123

Sparkling Stars #30

Whiz #81

Even with the additions we are way short of the 415 books from Alan's portion of the collection "confirmed and probable combined is around 120 books". but here is the edited list. I created a third catagory called "Possible Okajimas" these books are not on Alan's master list but still may be from the other 2 parts of the collection

Confirmed Okajima Books

Air Fighters Comics v2n7 Date 2/44

Big Shot Comics 82 Date 10/47

Black Terror 6 Date 5/44

Blazing West 11 "in Alan's possession"

Boy Comics #16 Date 6/44

Blue Beetle 56 Date 5/48

Captain Aero 15 Date 6/44

Captain America 39 Date 6/44

Captain America 40 Date 7/44

Captain America 41 Date 8/44

Captain Marvel jr 19 Date 5/44

Captain Marvel jr 20 Date 6/44

Captain Marvel jr 23 Not CGC but is Okajima

Captain Midnight 21 Date 6/44

Captain Midnight 22 Date 6/44 "in Alans possession"

Contact Comics 12 Date 7/46

Exciting Comics 65 Date 1/49

Fight Comics 33 Date 8/44

Fight Comics 50 Date 6/47

Fight Comics 52 Date 10/47

Fight Comics 65 Date 10/49

Fight Comics 66 Date 1/50

Fighting yank 8 Date 6/44

Fighting Yank 23 "not CGC"

Flash Comics 54 Date 6/44

Green lantern 15 Date spring 45

Hooded Horseman 21 "in Alan's possession"

Human Torch 14 Raw

Indians 9 Not CGC but is Okajima

Jumbo 104 Date 10/47

Jumbo 105 "not CGC"

Jumbo 123 "in Alan's possession"

Jumbo 157 Date 3/53

Jungle 54 Date 6/44

Jungle 100 Date 4//48

Jungle 105 Date 9/48

Jungle 106 Date 10/48

Jungle 107 Date 11/48

Jungle 110 Date 2/49

Jungle 113 "not CGC"

Jungle 119 Date 11/49

Jungle 131 Date 10/50

Jungle 136 "Not CGC"

Jungle 154 Date 10/52

Marvel Family 35 Date 5/49

Marvel Mystery 55 Date 5/44

Marvel Mystery 57 Date 7/44

Master Comics 51 "not CGC but is an Okajima"

Master Comics 83 Date 9/47

Master Comics 85 Date 11/47

Military Comics 31 Date 8/44

More Fun 98 "not CGC but is an Okajima"

Movie Comics 1 "not cgc and I don't see a code"

Mystery Comics 2 Date 1944

Mystery Comics 4 Date 1944

Mystery in space 8 "not CGC "

Police 31 Date 6/44

Rangers Comics 18 Date 8/44

Rangers Comics 39 Date 2/48

Rangers Comics 43.jpg "not CGC"

Ranger Comics 44 Date CGC 9.0 11/48

Red Dragon 7 Date 7/43 "earliest camp Okajima?"

Sensation Comics 35 Date 11/44

Shadow Comics v4n3 Date 6/44

Shadow Comics v9n4 Date 7/49

Space Squadron 5 Date 2/52

Sparkling Stars 30 "in Alan's possession"

Startling Comics 24 Date 11/43

Startling Comics 28 Date 7/44

Startling Comics 46 Date 7/47

Startling Comics 51 Date 5/48

Strange Worlds 5 Date 11/51

Sub-Mariner 32 Date 6/49

Super magician Comics v3n1 5/44

Super magician Comics v3n11 Date 3/45

Tarzan 2 Date 4/48

Thrilling Comics 42 "in Alan's possession"

Thrilling Comics 68 Date 10/48

Thun'da Comics 70 Date 1952

Tomahawk 3 Date 2/51

Tomahawk 7 Date 10/51

Venus 5 Date 6/49

Venus 9 Date 5/50

Whiz Comics 56 "in Alan's possession"

Whiz Comics 81 "in Alan's possession"

Wings 87 Date 11/47

Wings 98 Date 10/48

Wings 111 Date 1950

Wings 115 Date 1950

Wonder Comics 13 Date 8/47

Wow Comics 34 Date 3/45

Zegra Jungle Empress 3 Date 12/48

Zip 46 Date 5/44

Zoot 12 Date 1/48

Below is the probable Okajimas "but not confirmed" books. "either we do not have a scan of the book or have been unable to verify 100% the book. these books are still more than likely true Okajima's"

Probable Okajima Books

Candy 10 "on Alan's Master list"

Candy 17 "on Alan's Master list"

Candy 35 "on Alan's Master list"

Jungle 113 Raw "on Alan's Master list"

Kaanga Comics 5 CGC 6.0 "on Alan's Master list"

Jumbo Comics 136 136 CGC 7.5 "on Alan's Master list"

Jungle Comics 140 CGC 6.5 "on Alan's Master list"

Mary Marvel 5 "not on Alan's List"

National Comics 45 "on Alan's Master list"

National Comics 46 "on Alan's Master list"

Nyoka, The Jungle Girl #14 (CGC 9.4) "on Alan's Master list"