• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you come up with your forum name and avatar?
4 4

453 posts in this topic

In actuality it is like when they rate the presidents. Usually it is Lincoln, Washington and FDR that take the top three spots and depending on the poll shift around those places...

To me, the best of the 20th Century were Sinatra, Elvis and the Beatles. I am accepting of all three as the best the 20th Century had to offer.

Right three. Reversed order.

(for me at least)

I used to be a big fan of Greg Norman (the golfer) who was also known as "The Shark".

As far as my avatar goes, Jenn Sterger is just one of the hottest chicks on the planet. :banana:

In actuality it is like when they rate the presidents. Usually it is Lincoln, Washington and FDR that take the top three spots and depending on the poll shift around those places...

To me, the best of the 20th Century were Sinatra, Elvis and the Beatles. I am accepting of all three as the best the 20th Century had to offer.

This is a bit slanted toward the second half of the century, naturally because that is in our memory and our parents' memories. It's easy for us to forget the influence and impact of performers like Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby and Billie Holliday, not only in terms of their musical abilities, but in their overall abilities as performers and personalities.

I understand what you mean about preeminence within our times. However, probably any of the recording acts you name would correct you that they are nowhere near some of those who came before them, the stars who were at the forefront of establishing the dominance of recorded music over published music, and further the crossing over of recorded music into radio, movies and TV.

No I understand the roots of all three. Sinatra's entire career is built upon what Bing did for example. However, I feel that Sinatra did it bigger and better and with more oomph. Even when Sinatra was in his decline and had to make way for Elvis and then the Beatles, Sinatra was still a standard and relevant to a degree. That is why I give a nod to Sinatra over Bing.

BTW... Great example of Bing holding his own with those he influenced...

I like The Oldest Established (Permanent Floating Game In New York)

However...

For anyone that has never seen this, I present Mr. Booze.

This is a bit slanted toward the second half of the century, naturally because that is in our memory and our parents' memories. It's easy for us to forget the influence and impact of performers like Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby and Billie Holliday, not only in terms of their musical abilities, but in their overall abilities as performers and personalities.

I understand what you mean about preeminence within our times. However, probably any of the recording acts you name would correct you that they are nowhere near some of those who came before them, the stars who were at the forefront of establishing the dominance of recorded music over published music, and further the crossing over of recorded music into radio, movies and TV.

No I understand the roots of all three. Sinatra's entire career is built upon what Bing did for example. However, I feel that Sinatra did it bigger and better and with more oomph. Even when Sinatra was in his decline and had to make way for Elvis and then the Beatles, Sinatra was still a standard and relevant to a degree. That is why I give a nod to Sinatra over Bing.

I'm a big fan of everyone we're talking about. Sinatra is no doubt a lot more fun to listen to, especially after he found his sound after signing with Capitol and took more control over his arrangements. Bing's recordings have a much more even tone all the way through his career. He didn't stretch artistically the way Sinatra did and certainly the Beatles later did. He didn't challenge his listeners with a new style.

What he did was record great songs and record them well over about two and a half decades. What really gives Bing props is to not only be such a dominant force in the recording industry, but to be a terrific success in movies and radio as well during the same timeframe. Sinatra is in some of my favorite movies (Guys and Dolls, On the Town) but Bing's Best Actor Oscar and two additional nominations, plus being the top box office draw for several years in the 30s and 40s give him objectively a greater superstar status when added to his overall presence and achievements throughout the entertainment world.

That's not even getting into his influence on Desi Arnaz and Les Paul in their respective innovations.

In the end, the dynamic personalities and stage presence of Sinatra and Elvis overwhelm the very laidback, easygoing public persona that Bing evoked. It's not surprising that their recordings and performances are more enjoyable to most. I just can't let conversations like this go by without giving respect to one of the grandmasters of the entertainment world. :)

I don't play video games. I'm quite lousy at them. My favorite video game was Pulsar which nobody remembers. DG

Ever fire it up on MAME? I have MAME setup on a PC connected to the kids rec-room and every now and then go on a MAME fest..... 70s and 80s arcade games :cloud9:

My wife's name is Cat. My name is Rick. That's been our email handle since we first signed up for AOL back circa 15 years ago. I use it pretty much everywhere

I'm TRANSPARENT, lol

Oh, and my avatar is a sketch of me by none other than Frank Stack, aka Foolbert Sturgeon of underground comics fame.

There were a bunch of us sitting around a table at the Con Party at a Motor City Comic Convention a couple years back, having some drinks and snacks and laughs, and evidently he thought I was something interesting to sketch while we sat around talking comics.

When the table started to disperse he gave it to me.

:cloud9:

In my dating years, my favorite pickup line used to be:

"so... besides Elvis and the Beatles, what do you listen to ?"

That worked?

I meant to post in here, not the doomed one.

Icculus - is a character created by Phish's frontman Trey Anastasio. He was one of the many characters he created in the land of Gamehendge for his Senior thesis.

308win - is pertaining to the caliber a 308 Winchester. One of my favorite hunting and target shooting rounds. A flat shooting tried and true caliber through many a Snipers' eyes.

Icculus - is a character created by Phish's frontman Trey Anastasio. He was one of the many characters he created in the land of Gamehendge for his Senior thesis.

308win - is pertaining to the caliber a 308 Winchester. One of my favorite hunting and target shooting rounds. A flat shooting tried and true caliber through many a Snipers' eyes.

I don't play video games. I'm quite lousy at them. My favorite video game was Pulsar which nobody remembers. DG

Ever fire it up on MAME? I have MAME setup on a PC connected to the kids rec-room and every now and then go on a MAME fest..... 70s and 80s arcade games :cloud9:

I tried, but I never got it to work. I'm not sure if it was a corrupted file or what. I got to hear the audio files which was cool after all those years.

I definitely prefer the old games where you aren't such an easy target taking up 60% of the screen or more.

DG

That worked?

I have seen worse work.

Edited by Buzzetta

Conan the Cimmerian is my favourite character in fiction... when I got on eBay all those years Ago, Cimmerian was taken :( I was 32 at the time, so I tried Cimmerian32... been my moniker ever since... but, most people eventually call me just Cimm... so, that was how I thought of my online persona at the time of joining the boards...

My avatar? It's from the front cover of an obscure 60s film magazine, Art Films. I just liked the look (but I changed the colour :D )

That worked?

Figured if she didn't hear/know of Elvis/Beatles, then she had to be some sort of alien and not worth my time.

"Talk my duke a mountain - Helping Friendly Book,"

Oh, and my avatar is a sketch of me by none other than Frank Stack, aka Foolbert Sturgeon of underground comics fame.

There were a bunch of us sitting around a table at the Con Party at a Motor City Comic Convention a couple years back, having some drinks and snacks and laughs, and evidently he thought I was something interesting to sketch while we sat around talking comics.

When the table started to disperse he gave it to me.

That is so cool!