• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you come up with your forum name and avatar?
4 4

453 posts in this topic

Part 1:

When I was a child my Grandmother would tell me stories of her childhood in Poland and going into the forest to gather whatever she could for her family. She always spoke of the sound of the owls. When she was 18/19, she moved to Paris, France to make a better living to support her family back home. This is where my father was born later along with my aunt and uncles.

This is why she spoke a version of what I called 'Franco-American'... she would combine English words with French words and when she told her stories of her childhood in Poland (born in 1908) she would emphasize "il ya des hiboux dans la forêt, comme ça... Hoo-Hoo"

That translates to: "There were owls in the forest, like this... Hoo-Hoo".

So that always stuck with me as I grew older and owls seemed to follow me. Learned about totem animals in one of 'those moments' and mine happened to be the Barn Owl. So why is my avatar a Great Horned? I guess I just like the picture!

Part 2:

Right before I joined here, I was a little into WoW (World of Warcraft) and my character's name was HIBOU.

Part 3:

I like turtles ... owls. :)

Jack Kirby also loved to remember the tales of the old continent his grandmother and his aunts told him… and he accounted those for having developed such an imaginative storytelling background. :cloud9:

In the nineties, after I did return for a second time some overgraded books that I did purchase by mail from Metropolis, Stephen Fishler told me on the phone that he did not want to sell me comics anymore because I was too much of a "picky collector".

That sounded cool name though and when I started buying/selling on eBay, I used the nickname that Metropolis created for me. :acclaim:

My all-time favorite comedian and childhood hero, Roberto Gomez Bolanos, from Mexico city, had a Really famous comedy show in the 70s, this show was incredibly popular all over the latin America. Because he was such a creative writer, people called him , little Shakespear, or Shakespearito in Spanish; he latinized it and called himself Chespirito...

adopting that name is a tribute to him.......

Mma nick:

My name is nick and I've been training in MMA (wrestling,BJJ, muai Thai, boxing etc) for a while. it's my biggest hobby and I've competed a few times within the various arts of the sport.

The avatar i have is because the punisher frank castle is my favorite character in comic books

Are you Nick Diaz?

My all-time favorite comedian and childhood hero, Roberto Gomez Bolanos, from Mexico city, had a Really famous comedy show in the 70s, this show was incredibly popular all over the latin America. Because he was such a creative writer, people called him , little Shakespear, or Shakespearito in Spanish; he latinized it and called himself Chespirito...

adopting that name is a tribute to him.......

I still want English subtitles for Spanish-language programming, just so I can know exactly what I have been laughing at all these years!

chespirito04.jpg

Or just plain ogling...

univision_hotties_16.jpg

jackie_guerrido.jpg

univision-weather-intro.jpg

jackie_guerrido_univision_weather_girl_3q3KHRg.sized.jpg

4697577902_4c410de08b_z.jpg

:whistle::D:devil:

-slym (thinks that Jackie Guerrido is absolutely a delight to look at)

To put an interesting twist on the story...

I took the name from a dead man.

As far as the avatar goes... I think it is well known around here that I love my music. However, when people debate who the greatest musical performer is of the 20th Century they are really trying to figure out who is second to Sinatra.

I was a decent goalie in high school. Went back to back seasons with out surrendering so much as a single goal. When folks would shoot on me, after a while, my team mates starting saying "there's another blocked shot " and it stuck.

Hrm...I'd agree on the voice, but as far as "performer" I'd put Michael Jackson's work overall above Sinatra's.

Peace,

Chip

I would have responded sooner to this but I fell out of my chair after losing consciousness. Sinatra.... Michael was great... but they all hold Sinatra to be the standard to which they aspire to be.

BTW... you should feel bad for Bon Jovi. No matter what they ever achieve they will only be able to say that they are the third best musical act from New Jersey.

Frank-Sinatra-and-Michael-Jackson-frank-sinatra-8078451-600-392.jpg

I was a decent goalie in high school. Went back to back seasons with out surrendering so much as a single goal. When folks would shoot on me, after a while, my team mates starting saying "there's another blocked shot " and it stuck.
I see that name and immediately think of basketball.... I assume that is not your sport, so were you soccer or hockey goalie?

No, Douchewaite would say he could beat everyone using only his balls on the controller.

-slym

I don't play video games. I'm quite lousy at them. My favorite video game was Pulsar which nobody remembers.

DG

I was awesome at missle command and asteroids!

I see that name and immediately think of basketball.... I assume that is not your sport, so were you soccer or hockey goalie?

I was thinking lacrosse.