• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Fran Comic Stores

19 posts in this topic

Hi, all:

I'm planning a visit to San Fran and was wondering if there's any comic shops in the area with nice back stock of Silver and Golden Age books, perhaps some Origainal art, too?

Sadly, no. If you're willing to drive to Mountain View, however (40 minutes south), you'll find Lee's comics, which is rad. In general, the peninsula and south bay shops are much better.

step 1: Don't call it San Fran when you're there.

step 2: not Isotope or Mission comics or the one in the Castro or the one the Haight or the one in Inner Sunset.

step 3: Comic Outpost and the Outer Sunset one have just a few Silver.

step 4: I might have mixed up the ones in inner and outer sunset.

step 5: Go to the one in Berkeley. Which is not really very close at all to SF.

Hi, all:

I'm planning a visit to San Fran and was wondering if there's any comic shops in the area with nice back stock of Silver and Golden Age books, perhaps some Origainal art, too?

Send boardie Marc/houseofcomics a pm and meet up with him. Nice guy who specializes in back issues.

- PM "House of comics" here on the boards, make an appointment and go visit his comic emporium in Berkeley.

- Lee's comics is good.

- Amazing adventures near SFSU is a good old school type shop with LOTS of back issues.

(edit... I just read on Yelp that Amazing adventures is no longer in business.. too bad. I was there one day when he had a semi-truck pull up with pallets of long boxes of back issues. Wonder what he did with his hundreds of thousands of comics )

You won't call Dallas "Dally" (although people should)

Or Los Angeles "Los Ang"

Approved nicknames for San Francisco include

SF, The City, Hipsterville, Men's Tightpants Capital of America

Or Los Angeles "Los Ang"

If you really want to sound like a local this is the term. "Can you tell me how to get to your shop in Palo Alto from "The City"?"

You would have to go outside the City to find decent back stock of silver & gold.

Not sure who has original art. If you have time, you could visit the Cartoon Art Museum in downtown SF. They have a

Will Eisner and a Superman: 75th Anniversary Celebration exhibit now.

You would have to go outside the City to find decent back stock of silver & gold.

Not sure who has original art. If you have time, you could visit the Cartoon Art Museum in downtown SF. They have a

I go every time I'm there. Well worth the visit! :applause:

Yeah, as others have stated, you'll have to go outside of SF:

1. Houseofcomics in Berkeley is pretty close, but be sure to make an appointment with Marc.

2. Heroes in Campbell has decent back stock of silver, and a little gold. Some OA as well.

3. Comic Collector Shop in Mountain View has decent silver.

Basically, there is very little GA or even early SA in the Bay Area. If you want to go even farther, you can go to Sacramento and see A-1 Comics.

Or Los Angeles "Los Ang"

If you really want to sound like a local this is the term. "Can you tell me how to get to your shop in Palo Alto from "The City"?"

(thumbs u I laughed too when I saw "San Fran." Though I am partial to calling or rather writing that other city down south, as El Lay where I once lived but am now in Orygun.

That's a great suggestion. Thanks!

That's a great suggestion. Thanks!

i second the Cartoon Art Museum recommendation- 30 minute walk thru but the Superman OA is pretty neat. Be astounded at what comedic writing talent can do for you as you see David Mandel's OA on loan. (worship)