• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethical Limitations at Garage Sales...

88 posts in this topic

I'm sure subjects like this have been brought up before, but since I'm relatively new to the forums I thought I'd bring it up again :)

I'm curious about whether or not you have ethical limitations when buying comics at garage sales/flea markets?

Example: Say someone is selling something insanely valuable for 25cents...do you tell them? Or do you buy it and say nothing?

Where's your personal limit? Do you have certain books or monetary limits that you hold to? If someone has something of that predetermined value, do you tell them, rather than let them sell it to you for next-to-nothing? Or do you look at it as their fault if they didn't spend 2 seconds looking something up on the internet?

Looking for your input here.....to settle a small debate with the wife. :/ We go garage saling almost every weekend in the summer, and I've had a better-than-normal summer for finding garage sale comic scores. She and I began talking about whether or not I should go back to a particular garage sale and give them more money for a couple books I bought......obviously, the debate got deep. :)

Thoughts?

I take it for what they ask for and don't mention anything about its value..I'm all about gettin great deals and I feel like the mention of this book being worth way more then they are asking will lead them to not wanna sell anymore or do some research and ask a for a crazy amount of money..Nice guys generally finish last..

But that's just me, I have no soul ive been told

I don't think this is an issue where we look to assign blame for taking or not taking the time for understanding a marketplace or not. That goes down the road of seeking to rationalize potentially guilt creating behaviour.

On an ethical level, it addresses what your relationship is with your fellow man or woman. Do you draw distinctions on how you treat or value people based upon the relationship you have with them?

What would you have done if it had been your best friend selling the books?

What would you have done if it had been your worst enemy selling the books?

So where do strangers fit on a spectrum as established above?

Usually, If they have a price in the item, then I buy it at their asking price, that's what they want for it. (If their price is too high, I won't Try to negotiate a better price, I will walk away) If they are asking for an offer, then I will be honest with them. If I know that the books are out of my budget, I let them know the value of what they have so no one else can fleece them. Letting them know the value and what would be a fair offer (depending on condition, scarcity and what the books are) it's Komic Karma man.

Interesting question but I buy it for what it was offered and then run. I don't see anything of value anymore at Garage Sales and Flea Markets. I was having this conversation with a boardie a little while ago. I feel that at this point that, at least here in NY and the Long Island area that most people are savvy enough to take their valuable stuff to eBay and everything else that is left over is found on Craigslist and at Garage Sales.

I decided long ago that if I found something extremely valuable and I sold it, i would give them a portion of it. However my ethics don't extend so far as to tell them before it is mine because then they will just decide not to sell it.

I'll take it for the asking price or offer less and try to act semi-interested (thumbs u .

Most people are aware that some comic books are worth more money than other comic books, so why not take the extra 15 minutes to find out what your comics (or toys, or video games, or anything else people collect!) are worth before selling them?

I decided long ago that if I found something extremely valuable and I sold it, i would give them a portion of it. However my ethics don't extend so far as to tell them before it is mine because then they will just decide not to sell it.

This is my new poiicy. I will even add that the portion will be sent anonomously or left in the mailbox!

Now who gots an action 1 in their attic I can have for a nickel?

Most people are aware that some comic books are worth more money than other comic books, so why not take the extra 15 minutes to find out what your comics (or toys, or video games, or anything else people collect!) are worth before selling them?

+1

With the internet as prevalent as it is these days, there really no excuse for not knowing the value of the items you have for sale. I've been to garage sales run by really old ladies, and even they talked about having their kids look up some of this stuff before figuring out a price.

I've also dealt with guys who over-value their items, trying to scam folks who don't know any better. One guy in particular, I will never forget, he had all of his comics absolutely jammed into long boxes (300-400) in each, without bags or boards. You could smell the mold from about 10 feet away.

Anyway, I just generally put on my poker face, pay the asking price, and then demand that they have a great day. Its just business.

i like the policy of sending them a little something later. I've done it before (not garage sale - related, but same concept).

Because it's true - if you tell them the $10 book is really a $10,000 book and offer then $2000 to be friendly, all of a sudden they want $9500 and are doing you a favor :rofl:

+1

With the internet as prevalent as it is these days, there really no excuse for not knowing the value of the items you have for sale. I've been to garage sales run by really old ladies, and even they talked about having their kids look up some of this stuff before figuring out a price.

I've also dealt with guys who over-value their items, trying to scam folks who don't know any better. One guy in particular, I will never forget, he had all of his comics absolutely jammed into long boxes (300-400) in each, without bags or boards. You could smell the mold about 5 feet away.

Anyway, I just generally put on my poker face, pay the asking price, and then demand that they have a great day. Its just business.

This.

This kind of thing happens every day and has for the last few thousand years.

I even have made deals with some people where if I did sell something for a good amount of money I would return and give them a little more money. Like a reverse cosignment. But this rarely happens ever......because they do not care once it is out of their hands.

I'd just pay their asking price and take the books. They aren't asking for an appraisal, they're setting a price and you're agreeing to the price.

This is the answer you seek. :headbang:

i like the policy of sending them a little something later. I've done it before (not garage sale - related, but same concept).

Because it's true - if you tell them the $10 book is really a $10,000 book and offer then $2000 to be friendly, all of a sudden they want $9500 and are doing you a favor :rofl:

Interesting - I like this policy but what are the possible legal ramifications of sellers remorse? I have always been afraid of doing something like that.

It depends.

If I'm buying something for $1 that's worth $30, I almost always just buy it. I've even told some people about the value (usually if I know the person), and they don't seem to care.

If I know the person well, I will definitely tell them if the value is very high. I found a Peter Panzerfaust #1 for 50 cents at a store that I regularly visit, and I told the store owner that it's a $200 book. He sold it to me for $50. I was happy with that, and he was happy with my honestly.

Sometimes I'll buy some junky stuff with something nice I find to somewhat make up for taking the good stuff.

I roll a skateboard into the garage with great force so it distracts the owner. Then I grab the box and drive away.

Basically a smash and grab

Interesting question but I buy it for what it was offered and then run. I don't see anything of value anymore at Garage Sales and Flea Markets. I was having this conversation with a boardie a little while ago. I feel that at this point that, at least here in NY and the Long Island area that most people are savvy enough to take their valuable stuff to eBay and everything else that is left over is found on Craigslist and at Garage Sales.

Yea I haven't seen anything valuable at a garage sale in years. People are smart enough to check things out. The internet and media has made everyone a genius.