• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Affleck is Batman!

624 posts in this topic

Wow. I am stunned.

I also am underwhelmed with anticipation. It might possibly be the first superhero movie I don't see in a theater.

I wish the movie well. But this news does not bode well.

You know it. I know it. We all know it.

I can not stand Ben Affleck as an actor. In a chick flick, maybe. But not in anything else.

Whatever opinions are here (which represent a very small minority in the motion picture world), Ben Affleck has star power, which will bring LOTS of people to see the movie who wouldn't have otherwise. The boards may or may not like the movie, but I suspect the box office will do just fine.

Ben Afflack as Batman? What, was George Clooney not returning your calls? What a way to destroy a franchise. Is Batman being written as a total D-bag? If so, then it might work. Otherwise, I have no intention of seeing this movie, and I'm a life long Batman reader. This is just awful news.

While I can understand where you are coming from. I simultaneously am HOPING your comments, and the many MANY MANY others like it in this thread, are a repeat of this:

jokernomakeup.jpg

ledgerresponse.jpg

As I've posted numerous times, I feel Nolan is like Midas - any movie he touches turns to Gold for the most part. He is brilliant imho.

BUT......I'm very impressed by Bale's character and honoring his initial statements as a person/actor, by only reprising his role as Batman if Nolan was at the helm. He just turned down what 50 mill and reiterated his statement again.

I'm a little disheartened with Nolan's actions as I just noted a couple pages back, by signing on and now off on Ben being......gulp.....Bruce Wayne.

Weak sauce

I think this is a stupid decision! but, in time who knows. Just that picking a "star" like Affleck, is wrong here. They proved Man of Steel could be done with a nobody, so what the next decision? get a questionable acting star for Batman.

ugh. I am SO looking forward to Bens moody comtemplation of the woes of being an orphan tasked with bringing down Superman.

unbelievable.

I totally see your POV.

Lets hope the studios knows something we don't and Ben knocks it out of the park. :wishluck:

well, the studios are playing it safe, so they think. Hiring the hot actor/director after his ARGO success. Make a lot more sense on paper than, I believe, we will get on screen.

but in the end, it wont matter much. the WANT TO SEE factor will be off the charts and it will open big. I just dont think Affleck is an actor I care to watch onscreen, and, didnt really like ARGO which has propelled him back into Hollywood casting discussions where he ends up with this part!

I think a less experience actor with the chops to grab this role (maybe like Heath Ledger did!) would have ben better for the film. I mean, lets say teh film does a billion dollars, are they planning to have Ben as the new Batman franchise guy?

OY!

The problem with Ben Affleck isn't so much his acting, nor his bad choices in bad movies. It's more of an instant recoginizable face, smirk and mannerisms. ". When someone has reached A list status, it's more and more difficult for the audience to ignore "Oh, this is Julia Roberts acting like a serial killer"....or this is "Morgan Freeman prentending to be the elder, graceful statesman."....It's impossible for the actor to disappear into the role....

That being said, I am :facepalm: over the choice as most people. But, you better believe I will be there opening night when the movie opens no matter what happens. :banana:

The problem with Ben Affleck isn't so much his acting, nor his bad choices in bad movies. It's more of an instant recoginizable face, smirk and mannerisms. ". When someone has reached A list status, it's more and more difficult for the audience to ignore "Oh, this is Julia Roberts acting like a serial killer"....or this is "Morgan Freeman prentending to be the elder, graceful statesman."....It's impossible for the actor to disappear into the role....

That being said, I am :facepalm: over the choice as most people. But, you better believe I will be there opening night when the movie opens no matter what happens. :banana:

They have just confirmed Kevin Smith as the Penguin. :baiting:

:insane:

Wow. I am stunned.

I also am underwhelmed with anticipation. It might possibly be the first superhero movie I don't see in a theater.

I can not stand Ben Affleck as an actor. In a chick flick, maybe. But not in anything else.

Yeah like you are not going to see Superman and Batman in the same movie.

it already made more money than Avengers since it was just announced last month.

This will be the biggest grossing superhero film of all time.

Two A+ Superheroes on the silver screen at the same time. No comic book movie has ever done that before.

Are you going to see it Fri or see it for matinee on Saturday? :baiting:

Wow. I am stunned.

it already made more money than Avengers since it was just announced last month.

Two A+ Superheroes on the silver screen at the same time. No comic book movie has ever done that before.

+1

I think this is a stupid decision! but, in time who knows. Just that picking a "star" like Affleck, is wrong here. They proved Man of Steel could be done with a nobody, so what the next decision? get a questionable acting star for Batman.

ugh. I am SO looking forward to Bens moody comtemplation of the woes of being an orphan tasked with bringing down Superman.

unbelievable.

I totally see your POV.

Lets hope the studios knows something we don't and Ben knocks it out of the park. :wishluck:

well, the studios are playing it safe, so they think. Hiring the hot actor/director after his ARGO success. Make a lot more sense on paper than, I believe, we will get on screen.

but in the end, it wont matter much. the WANT TO SEE factor will be off the charts and it will open big. I just dont think Affleck is an actor I care to watch onscreen, and, didnt really like ARGO which has propelled him back into Hollywood casting discussions where he ends up with this part!

I think a less experience actor with the chops to grab this role (maybe like Heath Ledger did!) would have ben better for the film. I mean, lets say teh film does a billion dollars, are they planning to have Ben as the new Batman franchise guy?

OY!

Well I will say this thread is very similar to when they did announce Heath Ledger would reprise the role of the Joker.

Am I skeptical? Of course, but I am sure everything we have said they said to Ben as well or Ben would understand all the criticisms that would come along.

IMO having a chip on your shoulder is a motivational gift!

Something is telling me Ben might just shock the world.

He has come a long way from Mallrats!

This just ruined my day.

OMG :eyeroll:

On that day I will be sitting in the movie theater witnessing comic book history with two A+ characters on the same screen. :popcorn:

Hate to see what it would take for you to have a good day.

Batman: DKR movie trilogy perhaps? hm

Wow. I am stunned.

Two of Marvel's B list superheroes made nearly as much money in their solo movies as Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel did.

Iron Man 3 and Thor combined: $1,662,095,474

Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel: $1,733,699,956

I doubt the Batman/Superman movie surpasses the Avengers at the box office. hm

Wow. I am stunned.

Two of Marvel's B list superheroes made nearly as much money in their solo movies as Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel did.

Iron Man 3 and Thor combined: $1,662,095,474

Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel: $1,733,699,956

I doubt the Batman/Superman movie surpasses the Avengers at the box office. hm

IM and Thor are A- and not B. B is DD and Ghost Rider.

If DC does it right Superman/Batman will gross higher than Avengers.

There are no other characters in comic book history that have more star power when together than Batman and Superman.

I have no doubt unless DC just bombs this movie that this will be the most important and highest grossing comic book movie of all time. Yes well over Avengers.