• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

And you are allowed to have that opinion, and if it is your favorite superhero movie great. The general consensus is that MoS was a marginal movie. I have also liked movies that other were so so according to wider audiences, and one happens to be Watchman by Snyder, so I do not have an inherent Marvel bias, nor am I a Snyder hater. As stated already it got a 56% on RT from critics and 76% from the public. By comparison Avengers got 92% critics, and 91% public. Batman the Dark Knight got 94% critics and 94% public. Ant Man got 79% critics, and 88% public. So looking at the numbers from both critics and the wider public, it is easy to find superhero movies the public likes better.

I was just giving my opinion on the trailer. I was not impressed. I was also not impressed with Age of Ultron either, and I wanted so bad for that movie to be great.

I really like Man of Steel. So I don't get the hate.

You make a good point though on the critics vs. audience feedback. I think after Superman coming off a series of movie flops, audiences may have had this super-high bar that needed to be crossed in order to blow them away.

- Intense storyline versus Superman saving kittens from a tree

- Superman having to fight at least one character that could threaten him

- No Lex Luthor for at least one film

I felt the MOS overcame all of this. And included multiple characters that could take out Superman (including an amazing performance by Antje Traue as Faora-Ul). It also included the intense situation where Superman had to either kill what he saw as the last Kryptonian or lose his adopted planet. It may have been too much for the audience to take in. Add to this the death of Pa Kent through non-action, and this may have been the tipping point.

I truly hope I am wrong and BvS is a good movie, but I have the feeling this movie will make DC have to rethink their future movies.

I defended this movie early on, and now I have switched my view.

After we all see Star Wars the BvS movie is going to be a huge let down. Suicide Squad will steal the show for DC this year.

Good lord Smallville was dumb. D-U-M-B.

But dammit…Michael Rosenbaum was a fantastic Lex!

…and Lana Loiswas gorgeous!

I can understand Affleck talking as Bats. That's a big plus for me.

I agree that Smallville was, let's say, problematic. However, there was a brilliant scene in season 1 where anyone who touched the old lady could see their future. Rosenbaum barely brushed by her and saw the future vision of him standing on a pile of skulls (Terminator 2 style). Fantastic portrayal of Luthor.

I truly hope I am wrong and BvS is a good movie, but I have the feeling this movie will make DC have to rethink their future movies using Zack Snyder.

After we all see Star Wars the BvS movie is going to be a huge let down. Suicide Squad will steal the show for DC this year.

Fixed it for you. And I also liked this movie early on, and now I see ASM2 all over again.

Agreed, SS will be this year's GOTG.

I truly hope I am wrong and BvS is a good movie, but I have the feeling this movie will make DC have to rethink their future movies using Zack Snyder.

Fixed it for you. And I also liked this movie early on, and now I see ASM2 all over again.

Agreed, SS will be this year's GOTG.

yea but sometimes one mistake they can't come back from when this is such a huge movie for the other movies going forward.

And you are allowed to have that opinion, and if it is your favorite superhero movie great. The general consensus is that MoS was a marginal movie. I have also liked movies that other were so so according to wider audiences, and one happens to be Watchman by Snyder, so I do not have an inherent Marvel bias, nor am I a Snyder hater. As stated already it got a 56% on RT from critics and 76% from the public. By comparison Avengers got 92% critics, and 91% public. Batman the Dark Knight got 94% critics and 94% public. Ant Man got 79% critics, and 88% public. So looking at the numbers from both critics and the wider public, it is easy to find superhero movies the public likes better.

I was just giving my opinion on the trailer. I was not impressed. I was also not impressed with Age of Ultron either, and I wanted so bad for that movie to be great.

You make a good point though on the critics vs. audience feedback. I think after Superman coming off a series of movie flops, audiences may have had this super-high bar that needed to be crossed in order to blow them away.

I felt the MOS overcame all of this. And included multiple characters that could take out Superman (including an amazing performance by Antje Traue as Faora-Ul). It also included the intense situation where Superman had to either kill what he saw as the last Kryptonian or lose his adopted planet. It may have been too much for the audience to take in. Add to this the death of Pa Kent through non-action, and this may have been the tipping point.

I actually always liked the original way that Pa Kent died because there could be no action that would have saved him. It humanizes Superman because for that moment he was a normal person. Why Pa's death fails in MoS is Kent makes this sacrifice to stay secret for an extra year or two? That completely trivializes the death. I am indifferent on Superman killing thing, the decision was made. But there are other things that just did not work for me. Amy Adams was awful as Louis Lane, 90% of the time she was present there was no realistic reason for her to be there. Plus the final battle (again for me) was an overwrought CGI mess. How many building falling down or skidding on roads and tearing up the pavement can you show in one sequence. By the end of it I was just bored.

This are just my feelings, as stated you are allowed your. DC has everything riding on this movie, and they are putting all there hope on Snyder who has given them one mixed reception movie. As a director he has shown he really is only capable of making one type of film. Marvel meanwhile slowly and smartly built things up creating buzz, but also a cushion of goodwill that came from previously well received movies. DC is taking a massive risk. I do think Marvel is starting to lose steam, and I hope they can recover from Age of Ultron. I can also see the entire movie comic book thing collapsing in the next few years.

I can also see the entire movie comic book thing collapsing in the next few years.

CBMF -- comic book movie fatigue -- has been speculated the last couple of years, and it comes into sharper focus when things like FF happen, and now we see from the BvS trailer what might be disappointment in what should be a signature film for DC. However, I have a LOT of faith in the Russo Bros' Captain America and in DC's Suicide Squad, and i think Dr. Strange is going to surprise a lot of people too. And New Spidey is about to be unleashed, which -- collectively -- should further delay any onset of CBMF.

I actually always liked the original way that Pa Kent died because there could be no action that would have saved him. It humanizes Superman because for that moment he was a normal person. Why Pa's death fails in MoS is Kent makes this sacrifice to stay secret for an extra year or two? That completely trivializes the death. I am indifferent on Superman killing thing, the decision was made. But there are other things that just did not work for me. Amy Adams was awful as Louis Lane, 90% of the time she was present there was no realistic reason for her to be there. Plus the final battle (again for me) was an overwrought CGI mess. How many building falling down or skidding on roads and tearing up the pavement can you show in one sequence. By the end of it I was just bored.

This are just my feelings, as stated you are allowed your. DC has everything riding on this movie, and they are putting all there hope on Snyder who has given them one mixed reception movie. As a director he has shown he really is only capable of making one type of film. Marvel meanwhile slowly and smartly built things up creating buzz, but also a cushion of goodwill that came from previously well received movies. DC is taking a massive risk. I do think Marvel is starting to lose steam, and I hope they can recover from Age of Ultron. I can also see the entire movie comic book thing collapsing in the next few years.

You had me up till there.

You had me up till there.

Unlike BvS, the Civil War trailer had me pumped. :P

This could be the first morph of Doomsday before he changes over to the more rock-covered version.

The cover of Man of Steel #18 has him wrapped and it's pretty clear there aren't protrusions (yet).

Good point! By the time he breaks out of those restraints and burial suit, those bony protrusions that become weapons extend out.

500px-Doomsday_006.jpg

No, Doomsday doesn't change throughout the story. Any differences you see are just due to artistic license and the four (!) different artists of the seven parts.

This could be the first morph of Doomsday before he changes over to the more rock-covered version.

The cover of Man of Steel #18 has him wrapped and it's pretty clear there aren't protrusions (yet).

Good point! By the time he breaks out of those restraints and burial suit, those bony protrusions that become weapons extend out.

500px-Doomsday_006.jpg

No, Doomsday doesn't change throughout the story. Any differences you see are just due to artistic license and the four (!) different artists of the seven parts.

All the Justice League blasts him in Superman #74 and the protrusions on his knees appear. Those protrusions weren't there before that combined blast.

Thanks Bosco.

:foryou:

And I have to admit - it would have been a cool surprise to hold back Doomsday. That 'fixed' trailer had a nice feel to it.

Fixed trailer is much better. It minimizes Lex, really minimizes anyone having to act, holds back Doomsday, gives a better brief glimpse of Wonder Woman, and has much better flow to it.

Really drives home the adage that sometimes less is more.

Going back through old posts in this thread.

not sure it it's a fan made video or the real SDCC video

This still would have been a cool teaser hinting at one concern Batman has with Superman.

The opening scene banter between Bats and Supes is great. I don't get how Luthor is this well known criminal, yet he walks around like he did nothing. What did they give this guy time off for good behavior?

He's not in this universe. Evil, but not convicted in the eyes of the public or the law.