• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

FYI -- if you read the Hollywood Reporter article I read, it notes the movie cost the studio ~ $325 million external of marketing, but that tax credits bumped it down to a production cost of $250 million.

(Plus $160-$170 million in marketing) gives us the $410-$420 million total.

So we're not actually in disagreement...

$250 MM production budget. Marketing will be covered by product placement.

Then you have:

- Merchandising

- Movie universe launch (Affleck Batman and Gadot Wonder Woman have now gone from 'what a train wreck' to some of the hottest properties to come out of that movie)

What are those worth?

FYI -- if you read the Hollywood Reporter article I read, it notes the movie cost the studio ~ $325 million external of marketing, but that tax credits bumped it down to a production cost of $250 million.

(Plus $160-$170 million in marketing) gives us the $410-$420 million total.

So we're not actually in disagreement...

$250 MM production budget. Marketing will be covered by product placement.

Then you have:

- Merchandising

- Movie universe launch (Affleck Batman and Gadot Wonder Woman have now gone from 'what a train wreck' to some of the hottest properties to come out of that movie)

What are those worth?

How much are rose colored glasses going for these days?

“I feel like he’s right. But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman,” Snyder said while promoting Doritos’ final Super Bowl filmmaking contest. “They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man — not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?” - Zack Snyder

as of 04/15/16 (boxofficemojo)

BvS China Total Gross: $94, 527, 389

Ant-Man China total Gross: $105, 370, 038

But trying to make up an imaginary budget to support some negativity is silly. A professional site like Box Office Mojo puts a lot into its analysis. And if they cannot confirm a budget figure, they won't even post it. To this day, Amazing Spider-Man 2 is still listed as 'N/A' because Sony never admitted what the final cost was.

NlfI78u.png

So if it is posting $250 MM, they received this from someone in the studio that was credible.

GDs9F5X.png

Looking for bad news just to have bad news to post is not the best use of time with these movies.

By the way, I did research when the rumor was ASM2 had a $350 MM budget. It turned out it was high. But not that high.

D2DJoIF.png

A few reporting sites spoke to people at Sony and came up with a production budget (not marketing) of $255 MM. Which didn't help with $709 MM worldwide box office in the end and a 2.8X Revenue Ratio (the lowest ever for a Spidey movie).

How much are rose colored glasses going for these days?

It depends on which MOS frame you select. May I take your order please?

J17W19S.jpg

I think you are more a 'Percey'.

(:

Why would a visionary hero like Cat-Man need phony glasses? Looks like you're trying to frame me again. ;)

I just saw the movie. I went in with very low expectations though, due to all the reviews. I thought it was all right. I liked the over the top Luthor and I liked the Batman/Supes battle scenes. Gal as Wonder Woman was awesome. (thumbs u I sure hope they explore her WW1 history in her movie. :wishluck:

The first Batman scene was very different, I liked that. The Superman father/son scene was interesting to me, I thought it went well and I was not expecting it. hm

I did not care for the dark lighting throughout the end of the movie though. They could have cut out the tired Batmobile car chase scene. zzz

In all, it was a pre-summer flick that I enjoyed for what it is. It would be nice to have a different director's take on the Justice League and on Superman too. But I don't think the whole Superman mythology has been destroyed at this point. (shrug) And Batman? Well, I can't see past Affleck as the actor, so on to the Batman LEGO movie for me! lol

I just can't believe people that haven't even watched the movie themselves go out of their way to bash it, seems a bit weird!!!!!!!!!

Truth is, I haven't gone out of my way to bash this movie, ...it stepped out in front of my steamroller like a crazed lunatic. ;)

Zack Snyder directed MoS and the BvS follow-up. He's responsible for the dystopian take on Superman, so if you liked the first one you'll probably like the second. :foryou:

But I tend to form my own opinion and not what others tell me I'm supposed to think.

That's an excellent philosophy as far as it goes, but you have to give Barnum your money before you can See the Egress. :grin:

I can't believe intelligent folks contribute to WB & Zack Snyder's profits after such overwhelming critical reviews, but some do, so what do I know? (shrug)

Then again, it's just a movie. I haven't seen it yet so I obviously have no opinion. I never listened to critics because my friends and family usually have different or opposing views to my own when it comes to film and books. And these are the people closest to me in life. So why would I listen to a "professional" critic that I don't even know? I will watch this because I'm interested in seeing it and will watch most comic book adaptations. There are actually real causes worth boycotting in life other than movies. If it's great or if it sucks, who cares? It's just another movie.

This is a very reasonable POV. My position is that if you want something to improve or be redeveloped to a higher standard you have to take a principled stand. But you're right, there are far more important things in life worth taking a principled stand on than a movie. I rarely take this strong of a position against a series of films, but my dislike of Zack Snyder's first Superman film, MoS, has engendered my distrust of his work.

As for critics, I see them as tools, ...and I don't mean that in the derogatory sense. Critics provide their knowledge and film expertise to help a potential audience decide where to spend their discretionary entertainment money. Some critics you may always disagree with. Others, you may align with most of the time. With RT, you now have a broader range of critics from whom to glean expertise and information.

The friends and family analogy is entirely apropos. I find that to be true more often than not. Nevertheless, a broad cross section of film reviews (fresh or rotten) posted by unbiased critics to RT can usually be trusted if you're on the fence about spending the money.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the film. Of course, you could wait for the downloadable version to lessen WB's BO take. Whatever you decide, it's been an enjoyable discussion. :hi:

Truth is, I haven't gone out of my way to bash this movie, ...it stepped out in front of my steamroller like a crazed lunatic. ;)

Zack Snyder directed MoS and the BvS follow-up. He's responsible for the dystopian take on Superman, so if you liked the first one you'll probably like the second. :foryou:

You haven't gone out of your way to bash a movie you also have not seen yet?

:o

If anything, you've been all over this thread lately to make sure your negative views are known concerning Zack Snyder and his movies - repeatedly. Like Snyder caused an obsessive-compulsive disorder that you never realized you had. Or you did - but needed to release the hounds at the right point.

Full disclosure: I'm not a Zack Snyder fanboy. :blush:

I rarely take this strong of a position against a series of films, but my dislike of Zack Snyder's first Superman film, MoS, has engendered my distrust of his work.

That's very clear.

One thing everybody keeps knocking Snyder,but maybe it isn`t Snyder but what Snyder is translating?

Snyder is translating the Frank Miller and Alan Moore vision of comic books. Comic books that were very popular in the 1980`s and 1990`s.

People have become safe and are use to PC influenced stuff now.

Most of America may find Frank Miller`s and Alan Moore version of superheroes too unsettling,and prefer fun and safe stuff.

Let`s face it the battle between Batman and Superman was brutal,and the battle with Doomsday was pretty violent. If your use to Ant-Man type movies you were in for a shock.

So in conclusion maybe it isn`t Snyder,but what Snyder tried to translate which would be Alan Moore and Frank Miller`s vision of comic books that critics were turned off by.

One thing everybody keeps knocking Snyder,but maybe it isn`t Snyder but what Snyder is translating?

Snyder is translating the Frank Miller and Alan Moore vision of comic books. Comic books that were very popular in the 1980`s and 1990`s.

Most of America may find Frank Miller`s and Alan Moore version of superheroes too unsettling,and prefer fun and safe stuff.

Let`s face it the battle between Batman and Superman was brutal,and the battle with Doomsday was pretty violent. If you use to Ant-Man type movies you were in for a shock.

So in conclusion maybe it isn`t Snyder,but what Snyder tried to translate which would be Alan Moore and Frank Miller`s vision of comic books that critics were turned off by.

I suspect you are right. Snyder is translating the Moore and Miller style. The problem is Moore and Miller were deconstructing 50 years of comics at that point. If Snyder wanted to deconstruct the however many years of comic book movies we've had to this point he would have made Tim Miller's Deadpool movie.

I suspect you are right. Snyder is translating the Moore and Miller style. The problem is Moore and Miller were deconstructing 50 years of comics at that point. If Snyder wanted to deconstruct the however many years of comic book movies we've had to this point he would have made Tim Miller's Deadpool movie.

That's a really good point.

That interview comment recently where Snyder was told by Christopher Nolan he made 'Watchmen' far too soon for general fans to relate to the material makes a lot of sense, though I never thought of it that way. But I'm a comic nerd.

Let`s face it the battle between Batman and Superman was brutal,and the battle with Doomsday was pretty violent. If you use to Ant-Man type movies you were in for a shock.

Ask most people what their favorite Superman or Batman story is and they're likely to say 'Dark Knight Returns', 'Kingdom Come', 'All-Star Superman' or something Alan Moore wrote.... almost none of it is canon, and all of it slightly varies from the 'traditional' view of the characters...

So why is it a surprise that a director would give his own personal take on the characters?

These movies aren't being made to re-create anyone's favorite comic book... they're being made to create movie FRANCHISE'S that will include multiple movies that can be sold and then sold again and then sold as two packs and three packs and collections, and TOYS, and pajama's, and heck, maybe even comic books.

The product placement in this movie was huge. The merchandising was bigger than anything I've ever seen - it was everywhere.

This movie is a win for WB and DC. It's profitable. It's kicking off their Universe.

They're in a better position for superhero movies now than they were before this movie came out.

Recall that Amazing Spider-Man 2's $700-plus million take led to scrapping the next two movies & a total reboot.

ASM 2 was meant to ramp up a Spider-Man Universe with Venom and the Sinister Six films (along with Agent May: The Early Years). It hardly even got the message across.

Meanwhile, Warner is continuing on with all its movies, and added to dates.

three things:

1) ASM2 was the lowest of a downward trajectory of Spider-man films, by $50MIL, before factoring inflation.

2) Sony didn't have merchandising rights to fall back on.

3) We may be talking about a $100MIL difference in ASM2 vs BVS, but that $100MIL difference is ALL in the domestic totals... which is where the real money is made. It's STILL disappointing for Sony to only be tied with BVS with ASM in FOREIGN totals (just over $500MIL) simply because ASM in merchandising sales, BLOWS away every other superhero from the U.S. in sales.... yet lagged $130MIL behind the last Batman... very disappointing to Marvel and Sony. .. a win for WB/DC.