• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Finally saw it....Movie about 40 minutes too long...Lex Luthor acts too much like the Joker...last 40 minutes or so was awesome.

Nice setup for Justice League though...looking forward to it as long as they ditch hipster flash for Grant Gustin.

Finally saw it....Movie about 40 minutes too long...Lex Luthor acts too much like the Joker...last 40 minutes or so was awesome.

Nice setup for Justice League though...looking forward to it as long as they ditch hipster flash for Grant Gustin.

If I was your wife I would divorce you and how dare you go to this and form your own opinion. MARVEL MARVEL MARVEL MARVEL MARVEL

I liked BvS,but now thinking about it Warner should have went with this strategy

Man of Steel 2 and solo Ben Affleck Batman than BvS!

BTW

Am I the only one who likes Superman better when he is not in the DC Universe?

I just prefer Superman and his mythos not to be involved in the DC Universe anymore.

Just keep Superman separate like these great examples.

Following a quick Google source, the consensus seems to be about $410 million all in.

$250 mill. for the film (source: BoxOfficeMojo), plus $160-$170 million for marketing.

(source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/batman-v-superman-inside-warner-878208)

And everyone on the first two pages of Google is quoting $410 million, but the original source for that quote is Latino Review, which hasn't always been the most accurate.

Either way, the consensus from a panoply of sources is $410-$420 million all in.

At $350 million domestic and $850-$900 million worldwide it'll be profitable, but nowhere near expectations.

Recall that Amazing Spider-Man 2's $700-plus million take led to scrapping the next two movies & a total reboot.

Who's expectations? Warner Bros made it clear upfront they were looking at $800 million world wide. And it looks like they hit that number. (shrug)

If you believe that, I've gotta a bridge in Brooklyn going up for sale. Do you want time shares? ;)

Do people here really thing Warner Bros didn't know there movie was dark and aimed at a different demography than Marvel's movies? They are coming off a very successful series with Batman which was dark. It only makes sense they would try what worked for them in the recent past.

And, whatever mistakes they feel they made, it is pretty clear they are adjusting and going forward. B vs S didn't sink the DCU. It is more akin to Marvel's early movies in their cinematic universe in box office take (more actually) than Marvel's later movies.

Really? Do you actually think there's a distinctly separate demography of Marvel and DC filmgoers. There are fans of comic characters and mainstream audiences who like action adventure films. That pretty much covers the demographic, and I doubt anyone goes to the cinema thinking "I just wanna be bummed-out." Batman works as a dark character because he was conceived in that vein.

Superman wasn't envisioned as a dark character, and unlike Batman, is out of place in a dystopian world. WB executives apparently haven't gotten the memo (yet). The folks in charge need to go back and soberly reexamine Siegel and Shuster's original vision and then trace the histories of both characters. The only way Superman and Batman work in the same universe is through incorporating ideas that worked in the original comics.

IMO, making the entire DC universe dark and dystopian is doomed to failure. WB is trying to play catch-up with Disney/Marvel Studios, but their vision stubbornly ignores those things that have worked for the competition. No amount of handicapping will improve their score against Kevin Feige's more structured fan-friendly system until they respect the material and fans.

My 2c

Siegel and Shuster's original version of Superman was definitely darker than what Superman evolved into over the years. It is this original version that DC went back to with the new 52. He fought dirty politicians and wife abusers:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/supermans-dark-days/393998/

You really do hate this movie, which you have not even seen, for some reason. I get it. DC ruined something for you. But to say this movie was anything but a success for DC is false. Just like Marvel, DC will find out what works and does not work for them. Just like Marvel, DC will have mistakes. But this movie was nowhere the mistake the original Hulk movies were and is more inline with the original Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, except it made more money. lol

The biggest problem this movie had was Marvel was first and everyone is going to compare these movies to those movies. I'm glad DC didn't follow Marvel's kiddie verse style. I like more meat to my movies than we saw in Ant Man. And they were going to lose no matter what with Superman and Batman because some people like you think these characters somehow are the best DC has to offer. This is the highest grossing Superman movie so far. And I suspect, just like Marvel, we are seeing the tip of the iceberg on how well DC's movies will do in the future as they build up their cinematic universe.

You are certainly welcome to ownership of this viewpoint although I'd argue that suggesting the new 52 bear any resemblance to the original characters is a real stretch. BTW, I'll read the Atlantic article and provide my thoughts on it later.

Kiddie verse? ...Really?. What makes Marvel films come across as juvenile in your mind? Is it because Marvel Studios films are more entertaining (fun) or what?

The dystopian DC universe that WB has hitched their wagon to Is looking a lot like a dead horse. Suicide on a Schlick. It may be meaty, but I can see why audiences might choose to go vegan.

When you suggest the BvS is the highest grossing of all Superman films I'd ask if you've adjusted all of the statistical data for inflation and taken into account the growth of international markets? ...Not to mention adjustments for inflated production costs, P&A, bonuses, backend points, and miscellaneous non-production costs.

I'm not going to knock the BvS film's content as I haven't seen it, but DC has a huge gap to catch up with Marvel. Personally, I think it's unlikely. The superhero genre will play out long before that occurs.

Since Batfleck has successfully lobbied to direct and star in the next Batman film I'll make a point of seeing it (Ben Affleck is a very capable director).

They've been a successful publisher as #2 all these years, they can still be successful even at #2 in superhero movies....

Exactly just like X-Box, Playstation and Nintendo have been successful fighting over the video game market.

There is always room for more than one!

Coke and Pepsi.

Apple and IBM.

McDonald's and Burger King.

As a thread focused on BvS, there should b room for all views. If you feel the humor has been killed maybe you should send a forensics team to Zack Snyder's residence. (Just teasing).

The value of anything is the eye if the beholder. Obviously you see no merit to my contributions and I see no humor in your's. Others mileage may vary.

Sure, have a contrasting opinion if the other person has seen the movie they are tearing into. And even those that say certain scenes didn't work for them - they have every right to post that opinion about the film, positive or negative. They saw the movie they are making a criticism about, so they know what they are talking about.

You proudly point out you didn't even see the movie - yet go out and search for negative things to post to prove it is a failure - really doesn't help have a conversation about the actual film.

Here - try this.

1) Bruce Wayne sending that message with Luthor's metahuman videos was really interesting. But what do you think of the other character's response in reviewing them? Do you think it actually leads to more interest in teaming up with these characters?

2) Can you believe that scene with Cyborg? What did you think about the thing that makes him into the character he becomes?

3) When Diana shares with Bruce her experiences with man, where do you think that will lead to as a story?

4) I'm a little concerned the general audience won't get the time travel thing that was shown. You know what scene I am referring to? Yeah, that one. But I still think it was really cool nonetheless. What's your thoughts after seeing it?

5) So that desert scene in the beginning with Lois Lane - that guy that shot all those characters. Wow! Especially that one he took out right in front of her. Who do you think that was that Lois was so moved by what happened?

See, by seeing the film we can have a conversation about it - positive and negative. You didn't even take time out to see the film so we can go deeper on these topics. It will just be you searching up the different items, and then responding based on what other people have published. Not your personal views on the actual scenes.

Fun, right?

If I hadn't seen MoS, you'd have a very good point, but I've experienced virtual needles stuck in my eyes for over two hours so arguably I've got a pretty good feel for Zack's style of filmmaking. Then there's this:

1. Zack Snyder directed both films and his track record is sketchy at best.

2. Did not like the vapid portrayal of Lois Lane and women in general in the first film.

3. Henry Cavill portrayed Superman in both films. Did not like his portrayal of the MoS.

4. The dialogue, look and feel of both films are similar judging from the BvS trailers. This is just an indicator of low-bar expectations, not a review.

5. My principle of not contributing money to WB/Zack Snyder's profits during the theatrical run of this film after finding the first film so offensive.

6. A consensus of over 70% of the nation's top film critics giving it thumbs down. Yes, I do believe critical appraisal is useful.

Now, having not seen anything from this film besides trailers I won't comment on the content even though I've been falsely accused of tearing into it. My criticisms have been very general and more directed toward DC's rebooted franchises. That said, I'll risk offending my eyes once more to see BvS as a download after it's theatrical run. You may hold out hope that my views on Zack's Supernan will be forever altered since my expectations are so low, but don't count on it.

One thing I am getting a touch tired of in movies is when they use real news people, like Nancy Grace, Anderson Cooper, Charlie Rose, etc....I know they're trying to make it seem more real but I think it's having the opposite effect.

If I hadn't seen MoS, you'd have a very good point, but I've experienced virtual needles stuck in my eyes for over two hours so arguably I've got a pretty good feel for Zack's style of filmmaking. Then there's this:

2. Did not like the vapid portrayal of Lois Lane and women in general in the first film.

3. Henry Cavill portrayed Superman in both films. Did not like his portrayal of the MoS.

4. The dialogue, look and feel of both films are similar judging from the BvS trailers. This is just an indicator of low-bar expectations, not a review.

5. My principle of not contributing money to WB/Zack Snyder's profits during the theatrical run of this film after finding the first film so offensive.

6. A consensus of over 70% of the nation's top film critics giving it thumbs down. Yes, I do believe critical appraisal is useful.

Now, having not seen anything from this film besides trailers I won't comment on the content even though I've been falsely accused of tearing into it. My criticisms have been very general and more directed toward DC's rebooted franchises. That said, I'll risk offending my eyes once more to see BvS as a download after it's theatrical run. You may hold out hope that my views on Zack's Supernan will be forever altered since my expectations are so low, but don't count on it.

Though not a perfect movie, you are missing out due to your profound dislike of DC's franchise and Zack Snyder. That's your choice whether you wait or not to see it. But a movie like this in the theater is worth the cost for me.

False accusations are something else. It's been clear you are not a fan - clearly noted by you multiple times.

One thing I am getting a touch tired of in movies is when they use real news people, like Nancy Grace, Anderson Cooper, Charlie Rose, etc....I know they're trying to make it seem more real but I think it's having the opposite effect.

I wonder if studios assume this brings some form of reality to a film. Though I don't know how much that comes across to audiences.

I wonder if studios assume this brings some form of reality to a film. Though I don't know how much that comes across to audiences.

I assume it's more "brand placement". News-talking-heads are each their own 'brand' with fans and followers. So I assume the studio expects a mention on their respective shows. PR buzz leading to butts in theater seats.

I assume it's more "brand placement". News-talking-heads are each their own 'brand' with fans and followers. So I assume the studio expects a mention on their respective shows. PR buzz leading to butts in theater seats.

Yep.

Yep.

I blame RoboCop. :grin:

1987 and wait, what?... there's Leeza Gibbons. mehlol

robocop-kids1.jpg

Absolutely.

Kiddie verse? ...Really?. What makes Marvel films come across as juvenile in your mind? Is it because Marvel Studios films are more entertaining (fun) or what?

* In GOTG, Ronan was challenged to a dance off by Starlord.

* In Ant Man, the family had a pet giant ant at the end of that movie.

* Iron Man's costume is falling apart in Iron Man III and played for laughs.

* It's been a while, but didn't Iron Man III also end with Tony using his extra suits to make fireworks or something silly like that? Maybe that was Iron Man II...

I'm sure I can find other examples, but those are 4 just off the top of my head.

Loved most of these scenes for different reasons.

The dance off looks silly at first, until you start thinking about it. Ronan has no point of reference and it was the only thing Starlord could come up with. One of the charms of the Starlord character is that he's not especially bright, but has a sincere compassion for those he's been forced by circumstance to team-up with.

The giant ant at the end of Ant Man was one of the kewler effects and bits of humor. This movie has much more comedic content than most Marvel films, but the action and likable characters helped balance it out.

Iron Man 3 was far better than Iron Man 2, IMO. There was more pathos and humor. Tony Stark's character matured a lot in IM3. The suit falling apart was indeed humorous. Marvel has been good at balancing action with humor, but if you don't like humor, perhaps DC is the better choice.

Though not a perfect movie, you are missing out due to your profound dislike of DC's franchise and Zack Snyder. That's your choice whether you wait or not to see it. But a movie like this in the theater is worth the cost for me.

Don't worry, it will be seen in a theater (at home)... ;)

14449d34-ae8f-4fcd-bafc-1ac4622b5dd9_zps6zpcujfp.jpg

False accusations are something else. It's been clear you are not a fan - clearly noted by you multiple times.

Oh, I'm a fan of Superman, just not a fan of Zack's and WB's deconstruction of Superman. Like I've said before the first season of George Reeves Superman, regardless of how cheesy it might look to some folks today (B&W :o ) , conveyed about the right character appeal for the MoS.

I also loved the Fleischer/Paramount animated version of Superman. superman.gif

It's just more product placement. I'll bet there is no pay for them to do those parts and the studios like it because they get a mention on those shows.

Edited by rjrjr

I also loved the Fleischer/Paramount animated version of Superman. superman.gif

Fleischer Superman is the best cartoon Superman ever.

Now we are talking, though I think some of the animated DC films have done a great job with Superman as well.

:applause:

Iron Man 3 was far better than Iron Man 2, IMO. There was more pathos and humor. Tony Stark's character matured a lot in IM3. The suit falling apart was indeed humorous. Marvel has been good at balancing action with humor, but if you don't like humor, perhaps DC is the better choice.
I have all three Iron Man movies I purchased as a set. I would put Iron Man II over III any day. The kid that appears in the movie for no good reason was distracting, the Mandarin/not Mandarin was a wasted opportunity, and the Iron Man suit 4th of July just seemed like wasted suits. But something great did come out of that movie.

Marvel.One.Shot.All.Hail.The.King from tacolin on Vimeo.