• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I have no problem with Zack's portrayal of Superman, but his characterization of Batman in BvS is what ruined the movie for me. Henry Cavill does a very good job of playing Superman and Affleck was a good Batman. Just didn't like the role they had for Batman in this movie.

Kiddie verse? ...Really?. What makes Marvel films come across as juvenile in your mind? Is it because Marvel Studios films are more entertaining (fun) or what?

* In GOTG, Ronan was challenged to a dance off by Starlord.

* In Ant Man, the family had a pet giant ant at the end of that movie.

* Iron Man's costume is falling apart in Iron Man III and played for laughs.

* It's been a while, but didn't Iron Man III also end with Tony using his extra suits to make fireworks or something silly like that? Maybe that was Iron Man II...

I'm sure I can find other examples, but those are 4 just off the top of my head.

Kid friendly is a better way to describe Marvel movies. I take my kids and we all usually enjoy them but they are forgettable to me. I prefer comic films like Watchmen, Nolans trilogy, Dredd, Man of Steel, The Crow (original only), but you get the idea. I am really looking forward to Civil War though as Winter Soldier is one of the few Marvel movies I'll rewatch.

I also loved the Fleischer/Paramount animated version of Superman. superman.gif

Fleischer Superman is the best cartoon Superman ever.

Now we are talking, though I think some of the animated DC films have done a great job with Superman as well.

:applause:

Oh I like those, I just think there's something pure about the Fleischer

I have no problem with Zack's portrayal of Superman, but his characterization of Batman in BvS is what ruined the movie for me. Henry Cavill does a very good job of playing Superman and Affleck was a good Batman. Just didn't like the role they had for Batman in this movie.
I think a lot of the 'dislike' is due to a key story element: These are NOT the characters we've known. It's a NEW take.

Batman got there in the end though. But prior to the film Batman has had a 10 year career in a world without Superman. We've NEVER seen that before (as far as I know). No Superman to raise the bar. Until the film's storyline. Right? That was a main focus of the story. Alfred's concerns. Batman's devolving ethics...

It's good stuff. Complex. Fresh.

I think a lot of the 'dislike' is due to a key story element: These are NOT the characters we've known. It's a NEW take.

Batman got there in the end though. But prior to the film Batman has had a 10 year career in a world without Superman. We've NEVER seen that before (as far as I know). No Superman to raise the bar. Until the film's storyline. Right? That was a main focus of the story. Alfred's concerns. Batman's devolving ethics...

Bingo! Very well said Davenport and you have hit my biggest problems with the movie. I don't mind some tampering with my favorite characters, which Batman and Superman are, it's just I thought it went too far and I blame Snyder for that. And you are right, I like the Batman we get at the end.

One thing I am getting a touch tired of in movies is when they use real news people, like Nancy Grace, Anderson Cooper, Charlie Rose, etc....I know they're trying to make it seem more real but I think it's having the opposite effect.

I wonder if studios assume this brings some form of reality to a film. Though I don't know how much that comes across to audiences.

I assume it's more "brand placement". News-talking-heads are each their own 'brand' with fans and followers. So I assume the studio expects a mention on their respective shows. PR buzz leading to butts in theater seats.

Yep.

I blame RoboCop. :grin:

1987 and wait, what?... there's Leeza Gibbons. mehlol

robocop-kids1.jpg

Geez.... 1987 was almost 30 years ago... :o

That's definitely one of the reasons. People want their traditional take on these beloved characters, and they want it right now. Not through a series of adventures that teaches them the value of friends and partnership leading up to Justice League.

Yet with the Multiverse concept, DC/Warner can offer so many stories including Elseworld adventures like:

- Gotham By Gaslight: Batman v Jack the Ripper

- Kingdom Come: New anti-heroes vs. traditional older superheroes

- Red Rain: Batman vs. Dracula

- The Devil's Workshop: Batman teaming up with Houdini to fight vampires

- The Blue, the Grey, and the Bat (one of my favorites) Civil War Batman

- Speeding Bullets: Superman raised by the Waynes - becoming Super Batman

- Age of Wonder: Justice League formed during Industrial Age

There's a lot of stories out there if DC uses the Multiverse to avoid timeline limits.

Bingo! Very well said Davenport and you have hit my biggest problems with the movie. I don't mind some tampering with my favorite characters, which Batman and Superman are, it's just I thought it went too far and I blame Snyder for that. And you are right, I like the Batman we get at the end.

(thumbs u You're 'blame' is my 'appreciate', so I looked it up. Here's where it goes: "screenplay by Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer".

We both got to the same place by film's end. That's the main thing. And I don't think we're supposed to like Batman...at first. We're Alfred, right?, looking at a hero who's lost and still loosing his way. Too dark, too obsessed, too vengeful. He's right on the verge of becoming what he detests. We hate it and our heart breaks for his plight.

That's the film's set up. Now we go for the ride.

For me there were two key moments...

Batman's spent the entire time preparing for battle. Superman shows up and the first words out of his mouth are "Bruce, I need your help."

Man, as a lifelong fan that really got to me.

And...

When Bruce said "I failed him in life. I will not fail him in death."

So, yeah. As a lifelong fan I got emotionally played. Sounds like you did too. Not an easy thing to do. I thought it was very clever over all, unexpected and absolutely fresh.

(thumbs u You're 'blame' is my 'appreciate', so I looked it up. Here's where it goes: "screenplay by Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer".

We both got to the same place by film's end. That's the main thing. And I don't think we're supposed to like Batman...at first. We're Alfred, right?, looking at a hero who's lost and still loosing his way. Too dark, too obsessed, too vengeful. He's right on the verge of becoming what he detests. We hate it and our heart breaks for his plight.

Batman's spent the entire time preparing for battle. Superman shows up and the first words out of his mouth are "Bruce, I need your help."

And...

So, yeah. As a lifelong fan I got emotionally played. Sounds like you did too. Not an easy thing to do. I thought it was very clever over all, unexpected and absolutely fresh.

Dang it! Don't make me like or appreciate this movie after I left the theater thoroughly disgusted - almost vowing to never watch another Zack Snyder movie again.

Seriously though, I appreciate those elements in the movie, but it's not where I thought the DCU should launch from. For instance, I would like to have seen a crime fighting Batman before I got dark, vengeful Batman.

My only question going forward is... do I buy the Blu-ray when it comes out? I had sworn not to when leaving the theater, but not so sure now.

(thumbs u

I just saw the movie. I went in with very low expectations though, due to all the reviews. I thought it was all right. I liked the over the top Luthor and I liked the Batman/Supes battle scenes. Gal as Wonder Woman was awesome. (thumbs u I sure hope they explore her WW1 history in her movie. :wishluck:

The first Batman scene was very different, I liked that. The Superman father/son scene was interesting to me, I thought it went well and I was not expecting it. hm

I did not care for the dark lighting throughout the end of the movie though. They could have cut out the tired Batmobile car chase scene. zzz

In all, it was a pre-summer flick that I enjoyed for what it is. It would be nice to have a different director's take on the Justice League and on Superman too. But I don't think the whole Superman mythology has been destroyed at this point. (shrug) And Batman? Well, I can't see past Affleck as the actor, so on to the Batman LEGO movie for me! lol

I (finally) saw it yesterday too. Your review pretty much sums it up for me.

I thought it was decent (and certainly much, much better than a lot of the reviews made it seem). No, it's not the best comic book movie ever, but it was pretty good. I liked it more than I liked MOS. And I liked it better than the 3rd Nolan Movie.

It was a little too long, but it didn't drag for me. I would've cut out the Batman origin and I thought the Batmobile chase was a little tired. The Bats/Supes fight was a bit of a letdown for me. But I really enjoyed the Doomsday fight.

Batfleck was good and I look forward to a Batman film with him starring/directing. I think I still like Bale the best, but Batfleck is a worthy replacement. I liked him as Bruce.

Wonder Woman stole the show for me (can't believe I'm saying that). I found her interesting/intriguing and am definitely looking forward to finding out more about her. She's a stunning looking woman too.

I don't dislike Cavill's Superman. He certainly looks the part. But there's something I can't put my finger on that's off about the character. Maybe he's just not particularly likeable? Certainly not as "likeable" as Reeves or Welling (Smallville).

Luthor was OK to me. Again, didn't hate him, but didn't really like him either. A little too "mad genius" instead of cold/calculating. But, whatever. It worked will enough for me.

Decent movie. Will watch again on cable. 5/7 stars. :grin:

Edited by chrisco37

And...

Dang it! Don't make me like or appreciate this movie after I left the theater thoroughly disgusted - almost vowing to never watch another Zack Snyder movie again.

Seriously though, I appreciate those elements in the movie, but it's not where I thought the DCU should launch from. For instance, I would like to have seen a crime fighting Batman before I got dark, vengeful Batman.

My only question going forward is... do I buy the Blu-ray when it comes out? I had sworn not to when leaving the theater, but not so sure now.

(thumbs u

:):applause: You're almost there 40sJohn. So one more consideration...

All the PR. And the Trailers. The very Title itself, focus you on 'Batman v Superman'.

But...

After Superman's "Bruce I need your help" the entire battle is showing us just how lost Batman is. All Batman's pain, his loss of hope, years of going it alone, his fear of wasting his life... now has a focal point. Superman.

"Bruce, wait, you don't understand."

And as lifelong fans we're in on it. Batman has completely lost it. It that moment Batman's gone rogue. The very thing he projected on to Superman when discussing with Alfred. Batman's going to kill him.

Man, you've got to appreciate that perception-shift. From the 'King Kong vs Godzilla' PR slant to what it actually became in the theater? It's damn near genius. But I'll settle for extremely clever. How about you? :wishluck:

Not a five-point system, or even a ten-point system. But a seven-point system.

:ohnoez:

That's it! I'm going for a three-point system going forward.

:sumo:

Not a five-point system, or even a ten-point system. But a seven-point system.

:ohnoez:

That's it! I'm going for a three-point system going forward.

:sumo:

lol Yeah, it's a joke based on a funny internet facebook troll I saw a few months ago.

If we're using a legit 5 star system, I'd give it 3.5.

lol Yeah, it's a joke based on a funny internet facebook troll I saw a few months ago.

And here I thought you were going for the 'Seven Minute Abs' joke from There's Something About Mary.

7-minute-abs-324x160.jpg

(:

And here I thought you were going for the 'Seven Minute Abs' joke from There's Something About Mary.

7-minute-abs-324x160.jpg

(:

Here's the 5/7 origin

This guy Rob just relentlessly trolls his overmatched buddy, Brandon.

And...

Excellent post.

And...

(thumbs u

:):applause: You're almost there 40sJohn. So one more consideration...

All the PR. And the Trailers. The very Title itself, focus you on 'Batman v Superman'.

But...

After Superman's "Bruce I need your help" the entire battle is showing us just how lost Batman is. All Batman's pain, his loss of hope, years of going it alone, his fear of wasting his life... now has a focal point. Superman.

"Bruce, wait, you don't understand."

And as lifelong fans we're in on it. Batman has completely lost it. It that moment Batman's gone rogue. The very thing he projected on to Superman when discussing with Alfred. Batman's going to kill him.

Man, you've got to appreciate that perception-shift. From the 'King Kong vs Godzilla' PR slant to what it actually became in the theater? It's damn near genius. But I'll settle for extremely clever. How about you? :wishluck:

And another one.