• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

ASM 2 was meant to ramp up a Spider-Man Universe with Venom and the Sinister Six films (along with Agent May: The Early Years). It hardly even got the message across.

Meanwhile, Warner is continuing on with all its movies, and added to two dates.

three things:

1) ASM2 was the lowest of a downward trajectory of Spider-man films, by $50MIL, before factoring inflation.

2) Sony didn't have merchandising rights to fall back on.

3) We may be talking about a $100MIL difference in ASM2 vs BVS, but that $100MIL difference is ALL in the domestic totals... which is where the real money is made. It's STILL disappointing for Sony to only be tied with BVS with ASM in FOREIGN totals (just over $500MIL) simply because ASM in merchandising sales, BLOWS away every other superhero from the U.S. in sales.... yet lagged $130MIL behind the last Batman... very disappointing to Marvel and Sony. .. a win for WB/DC.

Very good points! And if not for the desire of the international market for a Spider-Man movie, that film would have been much worse off.

eIDjvMX.png

And yet with all the bad press and extremely negative critical reviews, BvS has already achieve 3.2X budget and is not done yet. And it has all that yummy merchandising revenue too.

Sony selling the merchandising rights back to Marvel was a huge mistake. But with its financial situation, it had little choice in order to raise cash. Smart on Disney!

DC movies well hit a billion but it's going to take some movies not just in one movie would it have been awesome yeah. the same way marvel films build up and got better until both avengers films and ironman 3 hit a billion. i do think JL well hit a billion because of the universe build up it had from SS and WW movies.

These movies aren't being made to re-create anyone's favorite comic book... they're being made to create movie FRANCHISE'S that will include multiple movies that can be sold and then sold again and then sold as two packs and three packs and collections, and TOYS, and pajama's, and heck, maybe even comic books.

You meant to use the plural but instead used the possessive.

I never see anything I disagree with in your posts so thank you for giving me this opportunity to FINALLY point out something incorrect. ;):):P

DC movies well hit a billion but it's going to take some movies not just in one movie would it have been awesome yeah. the same way marvel films build up and got better until both avengers films and ironman 3 hit a billion. i do think JL well hit a billion because of the universe build up it had from SS and WW movies.

Umm...DC movies _have_ hit a billion already.

Both The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises broke $1 bn. worldwide, and that's before adjusting for inflation to today's dollars and increased IMAX screens.

And it's precisely why BvS can't be seen as anything other than a disappointment.

Two years ago, if anyone told you that a Jurassic Park 4 would outgross a Batman v Superman movie by more than 50% you would have had them hauled away to the looney bin.

And yet, here we are.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3003399/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-just-missed-another-embarrassing-target/

BvS fallen behind Deadpools track on Domestic revenue by week, will not catch it. Suicide Squad having scenes reshot to help it not get hammered by critics lke BvS did.

This is a really good example - so I am glad you posted it - of a heavily influenced 'article' and someone that is missing the point.

According to the box office tracking site Box Office Mojo, Batman v Superman has only grossed $304 million domestically as of Friday (April 15).

'only grossed $304 million domestically'? Only 59 movies in history have ever grossed $300 MM or better (not adjusting for inflation).

Dg9t707.png

When you do look at recent adjusted domestic, you see the ones that exceeded $300 MM are no surprise. They were huge hits for being unique or part of a well-executed franchise. Even little Deadpool, which everyone realizes was so expertly developed and marketed it surprised many.

nEIisaE.png

It isn't a common experience movies are break $300 MM domestic.

As David pointed out earlier, Zack was most definitely aware of the spiritual connotations of Supes in MoS. Again, I don't think Zack is as obvious as Bryan Singer was, but nonetheless the parallels are there.

First the short Bryan Singer article that helps explain the screen shot above.

Bryan Singer explains failure of Superman Returns

And a short article about Zack's take on Man of Steel

Zack interview

Nice research! It's a little harder to argue with the director lol But I'll give it a go... ;)

I understand your view about the parallels and wouldn't say you're wrong. Everyone has their own viewpoint. However, looking at Man of Steel, I don't see these as intentional Christlike references.

I suspect in the interview, Snyder was pandering to a conspiracy theory concocted by a brood of vipers. He implied there are similarities between Christ and Superman in the Superman mythos. There aren't... Going back to my previous post, there is confusion between Christlike and godlike. Either he was mistaken or he saw it as an easier win over the critics. My guess would be the latter.

The Superman we see in MoS and BvS can fly, shoot fire from his eyes and emerge unscathed from collapsing buildings. Those are the powers of a pre-Biblical heathen god, not Jesus. I appreciate there is the scene NEG referred to where his arms are outstretched but to me that signifies the majesty of floating in space. For the most part, he looks more like this...

superman-angry.jpg

This is my viewpoint based on my understanding of Superman. I wouldn't expect others to share it :foryou:

One thing everybody keeps knocking Snyder,but maybe it isn`t Snyder but what Snyder is translating?

Snyder is translating the Frank Miller and Alan Moore vision of comic books. Comic books that were very popular in the 1980`s and 1990`s.

People have become safe and are use to PC influenced stuff now.

Most of America may find Frank Miller`s and Alan Moore version of superheroes too unsettling,and prefer fun and safe stuff.

Let`s face it the battle between Batman and Superman was brutal,and the battle with Doomsday was pretty violent. If your use to Ant-Man type movies you were in for a shock.

So in conclusion maybe it isn`t Snyder,but what Snyder tried to translate which would be Alan Moore and Frank Miller`s vision of comic books that critics were turned off by.

Yeah - this is the way they should have went with the movie.

bike,comics,batmanandrobin,idiot,superman-290bd666faa07ebcaf9f17391a690269_h.jpg

But I tend to form my own opinion and not what others tell me I'm supposed to think.

That's an excellent philosophy as far as it goes, but you have to give Barnum your money before you can See the Egress. :grin: ...

Not sure you've fully understood the concept there, fella... :foryou:

...And it's precisely why BvS can't be seen as anything other than a disappointment...

Terrible, terrible disappointment. Just terrible. I was SO disappointed with this movie, I went to see it again... just so I could increase my level of disappointment.

...And it's precisely why BvS can't be seen as anything other than a disappointment...

Terrible, terrible disappointment. Just terrible. I was SO disappointed with this movie, I went to see it again... just so I could increase my level of disappointment.

lol

And I shall call you 'Tarazu' going forward.

thraxim___er___tarazu__the_painbringer_by_fluffy_sama-d5dz85l.jpg

Wait till you watch Civil War.

You'll change your opinion on BvS.

How does one impact the other?

You caught the moniker, right...? lol

Like yours BTW (thumbs u

That actually worked with multiple viewings of The Phantom Menace in the theater.

That actually worked with multiple viewings of The Phantom Menace in the theater.

Yes I bet it did lol

I only ever watched it the once... icon_phew.gif

On VHS :shy:

Following a quick Google source, the consensus seems to be about $410 million all in.

$250 mill. for the film (source: BoxOfficeMojo), plus $160-$170 million for marketing.

(source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/batman-v-superman-inside-warner-878208)

And everyone on the first two pages of Google is quoting $410 million, but the original source for that quote is Latino Review, which hasn't always been the most accurate.

Either way, the consensus from a panoply of sources is $410-$420 million all in.

At $350 million domestic and $850-$900 million worldwide it'll be profitable, but nowhere near expectations.

Recall that Amazing Spider-Man 2's $700-plus million take led to scrapping the next two movies & a total reboot.

Who's expectations? Warner Bros made it clear upfront they were looking at $800 million world wide. And it looks like they hit that number. (shrug)

Do people here really think Warner Bros didn't know there movie was dark and aimed at a different demography than Marvel's movies? They are coming off a very successful series with Batman which was dark and aimed at an older crowd. It only makes sense they would try what worked for them in the recent past.

And, whatever mistakes they made, it is pretty clear they are adjusting and going forward. B vs S didn't sink the DCCU. It is more akin to Marvel's early movies in their cinematic universe in box office take (more box office take actually) than Marvel's later movies.

Edited by rjrjr

Truth is, I haven't gone out of my way to bash this movie, ...it stepped out in front of my steamroller like a crazed lunatic. ;)

Zack Snyder directed MoS and the BvS follow-up. He's responsible for the dystopian take on Superman, so if you liked the first one you'll probably like the second. :foryou:

You haven't gone out of your way to bash a movie you also have not seen yet?

:o

I'm a steamroller, baby... (:

...but I really wish Zack's dysto-fanboys would grow a sense of humor. :baiting:

If anything, you've been all over this thread lately to make sure your negative views are known concerning Zack Snyder and his movies - repeatedly. Like Snyder caused an obsessive-compulsive disorder that you never realized you had. Or you did - but needed to release the hounds at the right point.

Good court coverage. That should give me a shot at MVP since I've scored a lot of points. :grin:

Full disclosure: I'm not a Zack Snyder fanboy. :blush:

I rarely take this strong of a position against a series of films, but my dislike of Zack Snyder's first Superman film, MoS, has engendered my distrust of his work.

That's very clear.

(thumbs u

Yes I bet it did lol

I only ever watched it the once... icon_phew.gif

On VHS :shy:

Technically, I only watched it once too.

Went to the Midnight show and walked out in 20 minutes in disgust.

Had another ticket for a couple days later during a matinee, so I sat through it to watch the much hyped "Duel of Fates" part.

Took a girl who wanted to see it, but she didn't like the Gungan parts, so we snuck into The Matrix (when Neo was on the ledge.)

I bought the Suncoast special edition Widescreen VHS and never opened it.

I kept getting DVDs of this for stocking stuffers, that I would regift or just leave it in the magazine racks at laundrymats.

I truly hate this movie. lol

At the time funner sy-fy movies were playing The Mummy, innovative ones The Matrix, or better movies (Go) in general. I had a better time watching Pushing Tin than The Phantom Menace.

Rant over.