• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

If I wanted to go back to my boring economic classes in college this thread has now achieved that memory.

Christ who cares about how much it makes once the movie clearly showed a massive profit margin.

Anyone who thinks this movie isn't a successful in terms of $ created if the movie doesn;t grossly bring in 1 billion is stupid.

:facepalm:

It`s not just the billion,but it was also critically savaged to go along with it that could be a concern.

That`s the point.

One or the other it`s just fine,but to have missed both targets of 1 billion and less than 30 percent on Rotten Tomatoes is a red light.

Does anybody really think a second BVS would be greenlighted now?

This is the disappointment.

Warner/DC shot their full wad,and it didn`t live up to expectations both critically and box office wise.

This viewpoint is coming from somebody who defended the movie.

What do you think the non-kool-aid drinkers are thinking about BVS?

Damage has been done.

I am now thinking a Man of Steel 2 movie might have been a better option than going right for the big splash with BVS.

hm

this movie should have been man of steel 2, with LEX LUTHOR doing everything Batman did, with his buildings crashing at the beginning in metropolis, getting angrier and more fearful of superman, and him testing superman and eventually framing superman, but Lex building a kryptonite powersuit, and only releasing doomsday as a last resort after being unable to defeat supes. LEX could be the one having crazy dreams, and possibly being influenced by darkseid, who wants superman out of the way before coming to earth.

You could still use wonder woman the same way, still have superman question his faith, use lois more effectively as she investigates all the tests and framing of superman, still blow up the senate, etc.

But then you get an understanding of Lex, and don't have to force feed us Batman and extra plot to attempt to make everything tie.

That sounds like a good movie.

If I wanted to go back to my boring economic classes in college this thread has now achieved that memory.

Christ who cares about how much it makes once the movie clearly showed a massive profit margin.

Anyone who thinks this movie isn't a successful in terms of $ created if the movie doesn;t grossly bring in 1 billion is stupid.

It`s not just the billion,but it was also critically savaged to go along with it that could be a concern.

That`s the point.

One or the other it`s just fine,but to have missed both targets of 1 billion and less than 30 percent on Rotten Tomatoes is a red light.

Warner/DC shot their full wad,and it didn`t live up to expectations both critically and box office wise.

Damage has been done.

I am now thinking a Man of Steel 2 movie might have been a better option than going right for the big splash with BVS.

hm

this movie should have been man of steel 2, with LEX LUTHOR doing everything Batman did, with his buildings crashing at the beginning in metropolis, getting angrier and more fearful of superman, and him testing superman and eventually framing superman, but Lex building a kryptonite powersuit, and only releasing doomsday as a last resort after being unable to defeat supes. LEX could be the one having crazy dreams, and possibly being influenced by darkseid, who wants superman out of the way before coming to earth.

You could still use wonder woman the same way, still have superman question his faith, use lois more effectively as she investigates all the tests and framing of superman, still blow up the senate, etc.

But then you get an understanding of Lex, and don't have to force feed us Batman and extra plot to attempt to make everything tie.

I actually was the biggest fan of the Man of Steel movie, and was disappointed that they went right from Man of Steel into BVS.

I really wanted one more Superman movie before the big event,now it looks like it will be many years before we get another Superman solo movie.

That`s the point.

Damage has been done.

hm

Batman and Superman meeting is not the pinnacle of what DC has to offer though. That is like saying when Iron Man and Captain America met, that was the high point for both those characters and for Marvel movies. I sincerely doubt DC or Marvel are out of ideas or "shot their wad".

That`s the point.

Damage has been done.

hm

Nobody is saying the movie did not make money. Based on current projections BvS is going to be around $900 Mil. This is going to net WB about 150 mil. When people are saying the movie failed, they mean it has failed to meet expectations, not failed to be profitable. This movie should not be struggling to hit $1 bil. It should have had the potential to get near Avengers numbers at $1.5 bil. So from the expectations standpoint, it clearly failed to hit the mark. When you put your two most known and loved characters in one film, expectations go up. And like it or not, from a money standpoint for big tent pole movies 1 billion is the current goalpost.

The critical aspect is also a failure, which again has nothing to do with an individual loving BvS. Nolan's Batman films were praised by the critics, most of the Marvel movies have been at least well received. It was clear that the film companies had figured out how to make superhero movies that both fans and critics would like. With the amount of time, and money spent on this film the critical response should have at least been on par with MoS, or the middle level Marvel films (from a critic standpoint). I am not sure what happened during the production of this film where they were not able to reach at least that benchmark. WB knows how to make movies that will at least be liked if not loved by critics. So what happened here?

Not as successful, but Amazing Spider-Man made over $700 mil. It made Sony a good amount of money. But due to critical response, bad word of mouth, and failing to meet box office expectations, the movie was still considered a failure. That is why Sony was convinced to abandon the franchise and sell the character back to Disney.

Did Sony sell Spider-Man back to Disney?

That`s the point.

Damage has been done.

hm

I actually was the biggest fan of the Man of Steel movie, and was disappointed that they went right from Man of Steel into BVS.

I really wanted one more Superman movie before the big event,now it looks like it will be many years before we get another Superman solo movie.

Why? Because these two Superman movies made more than all the others with the exception of the 1978 version and Superman II adjusted for inflation? I won't be surprised if this movie passes Superman II to become the second highest grossing Superman movie adjusted for inflation behind Superman The Movie.

I'm not understanding why Warner Bros would abandon a character that made a ton of money for them? (shrug)

Edited by rjrjr

But remember just last year all the complaints posted in this thread how people were so done with Lex Luthor in a Superman movie? Folks like Snyder are very well aware of this opinion, and felt like they had to spice it up some. And I do not think what they delivered is horrible at all, as I still give it an 8.5/10 rating.

Fans also get what they demand. Look what happened to the original Batman movies after the first two received excessive complaints of being too dark and too serious.

Why Tim Burton's BATMAN 3 Never Happened

Tim Burton’s Batman 3 never happened because of the reaction to Batman Returns, which was swift and brutal throughout the press.

Batman Returns opened on June 19, 1992 and before the Fourth of July weekend, The Los Angeles Times was famously publishing angry letters over the content of the film and its connection to McDonald’s. One angry letter dated June 27, 1992 said, “Violence-loving adults may enjoy this film. But why on Earth is McDonald’s pushing this exploitative movie through the sales of its so-called ‘Happy Meals?’ Has McDonald’s no conscience?”

“It’s too dark [and] it’s not a lot of fun,” one WB suit lamented to Entertainment Weekly. Meanwhile, smelling blood in the water, a rival studio chief said to the magazine, “If you bring back Burton and Keaton, you’re stuck with their vision. You can’t expect Honey, I Shrunk the Batman.”

Enough people complained they wanted 'comic booky movies' they got what they asked for. So with a Supes-Lex movie with an appearance by Wonder Woman, I wouldn't be surprised if feedback from fans factored into not limiting the appearances after Man of Steel's box office results.

But remember just last year all the complaints posted in this thread how people were so done with Lex Luthor in a Superman movie? Folks like Snyder are very well aware of this opinion, and felt like they had to spice it up some. And I do not think what they delivered is horrible at all, as I still give it an 8.5/10 rating.

Fans also get what they demand. Look what happened to the original Batman movies after the first two received excessive complaints of being too dark and too serious.

Tim Burtons Batman 3 never happened because of the reaction to Batman Returns, which was swift and brutal throughout the press.

Batman Returns opened on June 19, 1992 and before the Fourth of July weekend, The Los Angeles Times was famously publishing angry letters over the content of the film and its connection to McDonalds. One angry letter dated June 27, 1992 said, Violence-loving adults may enjoy this film. But why on Earth is McDonalds pushing this exploitative movie through the sales of its so-called Happy Meals? Has McDonalds no conscience?

Its too dark [and] its not a lot of fun, one WB suit lamented to Entertainment Weekly. Meanwhile, smelling blood in the water, a rival studio chief said to the magazine, If you bring back Burton and Keaton, youre stuck with their vision. You cant expect Honey, I Shrunk the Batman.

Enough people complained they wanted 'comic booky movies' they got what they asked for. So with a Supes-Lex movie with an appearance by Wonder Woman, I wouldn't be surprised if feedback from fans factored into limiting the appearances after Man of Steel's box office results.

I concur, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened like you said.

Lot of internal and external pressure to squeeze in batman.

I concur, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened like you said.

Lot of internal and external pressure to squeeze in batman.

It's a shame, because studios over-correct to appease the fans. And we get what came afterwards.

:(

MIDNIGHT SPECIAL actor Michael Shannon defends Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder

What a great picture.

Michael_Shannon_as_Zod.jpg

"I have a ton of respect for Zack Snyder. I loved working with him on Man of Steel. I think his films have their own unique style and he’s very authentically drawn to that."

"It’s not like he makes these movies but secretly wishes he was doing something else," the actor continued. "It's what he wants to do. It’s valid."

"When we were making Man of Steel, I really appreciated the story: it’s about a civilization that destroys their own planet. I’m like 'well, that’s relevant.' So what, the planet’s called krypton? It’s still relevant."

That`s the point.

Damage has been done.

hm

I like BVS but Revat's idea makes a lot more sense.

Batman Returns is my favourite of those 'original' 4 movies. It's interesting that the 'it's too dark' and 'there's not enough humour' comments seem to crop up on a regular basis.

Batman Returns is my favourite of those 'original' 4 movies. It's interesting that the 'it's too dark' and 'there's not enough humour' comments seem to crop up on a regular basis.

Even back then. And especially parents writing in offended that McDonalds had them in a Happy Meal.

:gossip: Maybe they were offended DC put their toys in with THOSE meals? :ohnoez:

Even back then. And especially parents writing in offended that McDonalds had them in a Happy Meal.

:gossip: Maybe they were offended DC put their toys in with THOSE meals? :ohnoez:

Who knows maybe if they didn`t get offended,than Tim Burton would have done a third and fourth Batman film?

That would have been more interesting than the last two original movies.

Tim Burton’s Batman 3 never happened because of the reaction to Batman Returns, which was swift and brutal throughout the press.

Batman Returns opened on June 19, 1992 and before the Fourth of July weekend, The Los Angeles Times was famously publishing angry letters over the content of the film and its connection to McDonald’s. One angry letter dated June 27, 1992 said, “Violence-loving adults may enjoy this film. But why on Earth is McDonald’s pushing this exploitative movie through the sales of its so-called ‘Happy Meals?’ Has McDonald’s no conscience?”

“It’s too dark [and] it’s not a lot of fun,” one WB suit lamented to Entertainment Weekly. Meanwhile, smelling blood in the water, a rival studio chief said to the magazine, “If you bring back Burton and Keaton, you’re stuck with their vision. You can’t expect Honey, I Shrunk the Batman.”

Enough people complained they wanted 'comic booky movies' they got what they asked for. So with a Supes-Lex movie with an appearance by Wonder Woman, I wouldn't be surprised if feedback from fans factored into not limiting the appearances after Man of Steel's box office results.

Honestly,I thought Man of Steel was one of the best superhero movies of all-time. I was really looking forward to a part 2.

I only got on board with BVS replacing Man of Steel 2 because I had hopes it would have done a billion plus boxoffice to introduce many new fans into the DC Universe.

Now that I think about it they should have went with a Man of Steel 2 and solo Ben Affleck Batman movies first.

Oh well BVS still was a good movie to me.

I was hoping more mainstream people would have liked it.

Of all the ideas I've read for 'fixing' BvS or making a better movie, this is one of the better ones.

Rsh9fT3.png

In a lengthy interview with Playboy, photographer Clay Enos has talked about working with Zack Snyder and shared a new behind the scenes image from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. That features a confrontation between the Man of Steel and Dark Knight, and as you can see, Ben Affleck is fully suited up in the armor many assumed was mostly special effects. Asked about who was easiest to photograph, Enos had this to say about making each member of The Trinity look amazing in stills.

"It’s hard to say. Gal is so beautiful and strong and awesome. She’s a ton of fun and she’s new to the genre of superhero films. But then Henry is the spitting image of the Superman that you have in your head. It’s crazy. When he’s got his cape on and he’s in full costume, you’re shooting Superman. The only other male icon that’s in your head for your whole life is Santa Claus. And then Batman is a giant, hulking awesomeness of dark who presents challenges because his costume is dark. He’s also so awesome that you let it go. On some level it’s just a chin for Ben as Batman. But what a chin it is."

Forecast for the weekend.

BOX OFFICE MOJO: Can Melissa McCarthy Show 'Batman v Superman' Who's 'The Boss'?

Last weekend Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice saw a 69% second weekend drop in the face of no new competition from the major studios, yet it still retained the #1 position at the box office by a wide margin. This week the superhero slugfest may have a tougher fight on its hands as Melissa McCarthy enters the ring with her newest comedy The Boss. Meanwhile, STX is targeting the attention of gamers with the intense, first person actioner Hardcore Henry and Fox Searchlight has bumped up the release of Demolition from an estimated 550 theaters to over 850 theaters this weekend.

At the top, Batman v Superman is hoping to bounce back this weekend. In an attempt to determine what that may look like, the first number to consider is the average, 47.5% drop for film's in their third weekend that opened in over 3,700 theaters and scored a "B" CinemaScore. That said, things could also go the other direction, that being the way of Green Lantern and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, both of which also scored "B" CinemaScores and suffered second weekend drops over 65%. Both, however, showed different rates of decline in their third weekends, dropping 63.6% and 54.3% respectively.

That being said, while the response to Batman v Superman may be negative in a lot of areas, it's not on par with either Green Lantern or Silver Surfer, both of which were disliked by critics and audiences alike, more so than the response BvS has experienced. The flip side to that is neither of those films opened as large as Batman v Superman. In fact, BvS made more in its first two days than either of those two films made over the course of their entire domestic runs. This could suggest BvS has already exhausted a large portion of its possible audience with repeat viewing less likely, therefore implying another significant drop is in the offing.

How large? Well, a drop as steep as Lantern's seems unlikely. More probable is a drop closer to Silver Surfer's or even 2003's Hulk, which dropped 69.7% in its second weekend, followed by a 56.3% second weekend drop. This puts the film somewhere around $23 million this weekend and, if our next title over performs, it could mean a photo finish for #1.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (4,102 theaters) - $22.59 M

The Boss (3,482 theaters) - $19.85 M

Zootopia (3,444 theaters) - $14.49 M

Hardcore Henry (3,015 theaters) - $9.95 M

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (3,027 theaters) - $6.73 M