• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

In less than 2 days nobody will care about this movie anymore. :whistle:

Never underestimate the power of enduring butthurt.

Good point.

So true. But I am sure Davidmerryweather's dislike for what he has not seen will wear down over time.

Meanwhile, there have been some great discussions - pro and con - involving Davenport, 40sJohn, Flaming_Telepath and others. Then you two showed up.

:baiting:

(:

Good point.

So true. But I am sure Davidmerryweather's dislike for what he has not seen will wear down over time.

Meanwhile, there have been some great discussions - pro and con - involving Davenport, 40sJohn, Flaming_Telepath and others. Then you two showed up.

:baiting:

(:

lol I'm not really sure what I could add to the conversation at this point.

I thought the movie was pretty good. I did have a bit of a problem with the whole "Martha" thing too, initially. As others have said, it seemed a bit convenient. I thought it was pretty corny but, after reading others thoughts on it (Batman rediscovering his humanity), I can buy it. It works.

Still don't think they've handled Superman correctly. I'd prefer to see him a little more like the "boy scout". A bit more "human".

I disagree with DM totally regarding the "misogyny" comments. After all, WW did save Batman's life and she couldn't spear Doomsday (she was busy holding him with the lasso). She was great in the movie and it made me interested to see what they do in her solo movie. I found her to be a compelling character in the movie.

I'm also definitely in on Batfleck. He worked for me as BW and Batman. I could do without the origin scene (again!).

It was a decent movie but too long. Not quite as good as the Marvel stuff, but I'll be seeing the next installments for sure.

Good point.

Logan510 continued to feel the need to click on the "Prometheus" movie thread and take a steaming dump on it for years after its release. :insane:

Good point.

Logan510 continued to feel the need to click on the "Prometheus" movie thread and take a steaming dump on it for years after its release. :insane:

A deserved steaming dump. What a bore.

Good point.

Didn't he do that with pretty much every movie thread? :insane:

I disagree with DM totally regarding the "misogyny" comments.

A few days ago he agreed that it was sexism he meant, not misogyny. I don't disagree with him that that sexism was present, I just disagree that it was present enough for it to stick out. Plenty of films have at least some sexist elements, and Snyder's two Superman films don't deserve singling out for theirs.

Good point.

A deserved steaming dump. What a bore.

I can see doing it for a few weeks, but why click into a thread for a movie you hated for YEARS? The answer is obvious--some people take delight in peeing in other people's Cheerios. I anticipate this thread living a long, contentious life beyond the release of every film this summer. :eek:

lol I'm not really sure what I could add to the conversation at this point.

I thought the movie was pretty good. I did have a bit of a problem with the whole "Martha" thing too, initially. As others have said, it seemed a bit convenient. I thought it was pretty corny but, after reading others thoughts on it (Batman rediscovering his humanity), I can buy it. It works.

Still don't think they've handled Superman correctly. I'd prefer to see him a little more like the "boy scout". A bit more "human".

I disagree with DM totally regarding the "misogyny" comments. After all, WW did save Batman's life and she couldn't spear Doomsday (she was busy holding him with the lasso). She was great in the movie and it made me interested to see what they do in her solo movie. I found her to be a compelling character in the movie.

I'm also definitely in on Batfleck. He worked for me as BW and Batman. I could do without the origin scene (again!).

It was a decent movie but too long. Not quite as good as the Marvel stuff, but I'll be seeing the next installments for sure.

See - good discussion points.

:applause:

For some the movie worked in many ways. Others it didn't. And for other viewers, it was a mixed experience. I am hoping when the Ultimate Edition comes out there are more positive than negative experiences. But then it would leave me wondering if they should have gone with the intermission approach - make it a grand 'day at the movies' - and that they should have gone with the whole three hours we will see later on.

Didn't he do that with pretty much every movie thread? :insane:

Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

A few days ago he agreed that it was sexism he meant, not misogyny. I don't disagree with him that that sexism was present, I just disagree that it was present enough for it to stick out. Plenty of films have at least some sexist elements, and Snyder's two Superman films don't deserve singling out for theirs.

Whatever term was decided upon, I fall into your camp. Didn't see it. But, I wasn't looking for it either.

Ultron sucked. :P

It's better than BVS.

No... no it isn't.

I have the Blu-ray of AoU, and enjoy it.

Hey if you enjoy wasting both your time and money.... :whistle:

My time is valuable, I spend it wisely. I can't speak for anyone else. :baiting:

Whatever term was decided upon, I fall into your camp. Didn't see it. But, I wasn't looking for it either.

When Steve Rogers fell on a greanade in camp, that was moving and heroic. Your falling into camp just means you weren't looking where you're going. What you missed doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Superman, through the creative "genius" of ZS, may not rise to the level of misogynism, but the sexism I witnessed stood out like a sore thumb. My eyes rolled as did my wife's. Yes, it does deserve pointing out. Is this the only film that conveys a sense female exploitation? Of course not, but there are far too many of them, and in any film featuring such a historically iconic character, it's unconscionable.

I thought WW was plenty heroic in the scene(s) she was in. She was portrayed as a warrior. I'm just not seeing how Superman spearing DD instead of WW is blatant sexism.

The other female in the film, Lois Lane, you certainly could make the argument that she was portrayed poorly. In this movie, they tried to give her a little bit of "bite", but she was basically the "damsel in distress".

I don't know how any of you could be Superman fans & cry sexism or misogyny when it comes to the the whole Superman/Lois dynamic. Lois has more or less always been portrayed as the damsel that needs Superman's saving.

Nobody will cry sexism if Wonder Woman swoops in to protect Steve Trevor.

The way you guys talk about this, it's like the these heroes should only save people of the same gender or there's some negative connotation to the whole scene.

A man saving a woman, doesn't necessarily imply prejudice or discrimination against women. Get over it already. You guys are taking this way too far. You'd literally have to label just about everything as sexist at that rate.

I thought WW was plenty heroic in the scene(s) she was in. She was portrayed as a warrior. I'm just not seeing how Superman spearing DD instead of WW is blatant sexism.

Really she outshines the overly macho Batman in the main fight and her first appearance in uniform is her saving Batman from instant death.

She holds her own with Doomsday in a way that Batman could never even dream of, regardless of what armor he's wearing.

I'm with you... I just can't see how her not spearing DD is an example of any kind of sexism.

The other female in the film, Lois Lane, you certainly could make the argument that she was portrayed poorly. In this movie, they tried to give her a little bit of "bite", but she was basically the "damsel in distress".

She did go under water after the kryptonite spear, and risk her life jumping between Batman and Superman...

I don't know how any of you could be Superman fans & cry sexism or misogyny when it comes to the the whole Superman/Lois dynamic. Lois has more or less always been portrayed as the damsel that needs Superman's saving.

The way you guys talk about this, it's like the these heroes should only save people of the same gender or there's some negative connotation to the whole scene.

A man saving a woman, doesn't necessarily imply prejudice or discrimination against women. Get over it already. You guys are taking this way too far. You'd literally have to label just about everything as sexist at that rate.

But what if everything is sexist...?

I'm effing with you. Its not. Some people are way too sensitive to the point where its almost impossible to not offend, or impossible to have a conversation with them.

To suggest that the level of 'sexism' in MOS is "unconscionable"....well that is "unconscionable"

I didn't fall asleep during MOS because the high level of 'sexism' just shut down my brain. I fell asleep because it was BORING AS A EFFFF. Upon rewatch it was better, but it just didn't lead more towards anything I was looking for. Although afterward I wished it was just a Lois Lane movie and about how she solves the mystery of finding out who Superman is. Like I wish that was the whole movie. Is misogynist to not have made that movie instead? I have no idea.

But what if everything is sexist...?

I'm effing with you. Its not. Some people are way too sensitive to the point where its almost impossible to not offend, or impossible to have a conversation with them.

To suggest that the level of 'sexism' in MOS is "unconscionable"....well that is "unconscionable"

I didn't fall asleep during MOS because the high level of 'sexism' just shut down my brain. I fell asleep because it was BORING AS A EFFFF. Upon rewatch it was better, but it just didn't lead more towards anything I was looking for. Although afterward I wished it was just a Lois Lane movie and about how she solves the mystery of finding out who Superman is. Like I wish that was the whole movie. Is misogynist to not have made that movie instead? I have no idea.

Everyone sees things differently & there will always be something in any film (even in the best ones) that nudge us the wrong way. So, should they stop making films because some people are too sensitive? They're trying to bring these comics to life & I for one appreciate their effort. It doesn't mean I love every movie, but I try to enjoy them all regardless. We should stop whining about what we didn't get & start appreciating what we did. I had a few issues with BvS myself, but I'm not going to go on about it forever.

Somehow you've managed to miss the point completely. It isn't the traditional Lois Lane & Clark/Superman dynamic that creates an atmosphere of sexism. Heck, even in the 50's TV series Phyllis Coates could be seen acting decisively at personal risk and not calling out for Superman's help when she got into trouble.

Saving Lois isn't the issue. I suppose given the modern rebooting of the characters it SHOULD be an issue in keeping with the realistic dystopian world because retaining the traditional dynamic when Superman is so radically reenvisioned could be viewed as sexism, but I digress.

The real issue based on MoS (which is the stencil on which BvS was written and filmed) is that attractive females cast as professional women are either depicted as vapid sexpots or solely dependent upon their male counterparts. Forget Martha Kent for a moment as she symbolizes something entirely different (think along the lines of Yoda from Star Wars or any other mentoring figure).

One nauseating example toward the end of MoS was the very attractive female staff officer who commented that Superman was hot to her commanding officer. Nothing humorous about that, it was sexist and unprofessional.

If you don't like the word sexism how would you describe the diminutive role iconography of women in Zack's Superman films?