• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

The other female in the film, Lois Lane, you certainly could make the argument that she was portrayed poorly. In this movie, they tried to give her a little bit of "bite", but she was basically the "damsel in distress".

She did go under water after the kryptonite spear, and risk her life jumping between Batman and Superman...

Which required Superman to save her.

I thought the portrayal of Lois Lane was terrible in BvS - I know that the comics have a long history of her being treated as the damsel in distress, but with MoS it at least seemed like Snyder was trying to give her some relevance & personality; in BvS she was window-dressing, only relevant when Superman needed to save her.

..or when he needed some perspective. Yeah... it was a big movie, with some big personalities and some powerful abilities... really, you could say the whole human race took a back seat to Superman in it, with only Wonder Woman holding her own.

I agree, Lois seemed to not play as big a part (who could in a movie with Supes, Bats , WW and Lex?), but I still didn't think misogyny or sexism had anything to do with it...

The other female in the film, Lois Lane, you certainly could make the argument that she was portrayed poorly. In this movie, they tried to give her a little bit of "bite", but she was basically the "damsel in distress".

She did go under water after the kryptonite spear, and risk her life jumping between Batman and Superman...

I thought the portrayal of Lois Lane was terrible in BvS - I know that the comics have a long history of her being treated as the damsel in distress, but with MoS it at least seemed like Snyder was trying to give her some relevance & personality; in BvS she was window-dressing, only relevant when Superman needed to save her.

..or when he needed some perspective. Yeah... it was a big movie, with some big personalities and some powerful abilities... really, you could say the whole human race took a back seat to Superman in it, with only Wonder Woman holding her own.

I agree, Lois seemed to not play as big a part (who could in a movie with Supes, Bats , WW and Lex?), but I still didn't think misogyny or sexism had anything to do with it...

I don't necessarily think so either, but I still felt it was a poor portrayal :shrug:

I don't necessarily think so either, but I still felt it was a poor portrayal :shrug:

(thumbs u

Lois and Martha...they should have appeared in the credits as simply Kidnap Victim 1 and Kidnap Victim 2. I'm not going with charges of misogyny...certainly not from somebody who has zero grounds to offer a critique on anything related to this film...but women do tend to be relegated in Snyder films. It's not about who they are, but rather what they mean to the Hero.

I disagree with DM totally regarding the "misogyny" comments.

A few days ago he agreed that it was sexism he meant, not misogyny. I don't disagree with him that that sexism was present, I just disagree that it was present enough for it to stick out. Plenty of films have at least some sexist elements, and Snyder's two Superman films don't deserve singling out for theirs.

If people confuse sexism with misogyny they need to go back to school.

Old school for me. ;)

Having discussed this subject with my wife, I can tell you most women don't see a dime's difference between the two terms.

I agree with a lot of the above regarding Lois, but I wonder if the extended version would shed a little more attention as to her role in this movie beside just being the damsel in distress. The Flash dream sequence specifically mentioned "Lois is the key" which implies the Injustice store line.

A few days ago he agreed that it was sexism he meant, not misogyny. I don't disagree with him that that sexism was present, I just disagree that it was present enough for it to stick out. Plenty of films have at least some sexist elements, and Snyder's two Superman films don't deserve singling out for theirs.

Old school for me. ;)

Having discussed this subject with my wife, I can tell you most women don't see a dime's difference between the two terms.

Assuming that your wife's views on the topic as representative of most women is, of course, misogynistic.

Edited by Revat

Holding you to the same standard you're holding Snyder to...what a horribly sexist statement! :o(tsk)

Old school for me. ;)

That's it!

We are all pitching in to buy you a monogrammed 'MISOGYNY' blanket. This way every time you even assume misogyny is taking place, like Linus you just grab it tight and find a happy place.

velour-dot-baby-blanket-5.jpg

Do you like blue, pink or green? It's very important when trying to find comfort. So choose wisely now.

:baiting:

Old school for me. ;)

Assuming that your wife's views on the topic as representative of most women is, of course, misogynistic.

I can't speak for her, but given her profession and advocacy for equal treatment of all women as professionals in various industries including film, I'd say that her views are fairly representative.

The dictionary definition of misogyny doesn't fit the situation, but the perception of it does. That is what I meant in using the term originally. I doubt there is a "hate" of women among male writers and directors in the film community, but the way women in certain roles are depicted by male writers sends the wrong messages.

It's easier to discuss this using the word sexism or male bias. After all, we know how sensitive most of the men are in this thread. ;)

Old school for me. ;)

So, you're claiming now that your wife's views are representative of 'most' women? That's some arrogance on a grand scale there.

Old school for me. ;)

That's it!

We are all pitching in to buy you a monogrammed 'MISOGYNY' blanket. This way every time you even assume misogyny is taking place, like Linus you just grab it tight and find a happy place.

velour-dot-baby-blanket-5.jpg

Do you like blue, pink or green? It's very important when trying to find comfort. So choose wisely now.

:baiting:

You should take those blankets back and exchange them for fluffy blue towels that can absorb Zack Snyder apologist's tears! (thumbs u

http://observer.com/2016/05/dc-universe-stinks-and-will-never-catch-up-to-marvel/

I can't speak for her, but given her profession and advocacy for equal treatment of all women as professionals in various industries including film, I'd say that her views are fairly representative.

How unrepentently sexist! :ohnoez: Just because she doesnt respect the subtle differences between words doesnt mean that all women feel the same way. (tsk)

Don't know. What's the over under on it passing B vs S in total gross when all is said and done? Disney keeps hitting home runs and Civil War is about the start. Rebel One hits theaters in Dec. One studio (Disney) makes movies that print money. The other tries to keep up.

I'm not sure why it matters which one makes more money. I'm not seeing any of it in either situation

People sure love to bring that up. Box office numbers. It's what's for dinner