• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

What's the over under we will still be talking about this movie in X amount of days

My post was about the movie in the thread not Jungle book.

Looked like you were replying to me. Couldn't tell that you were referring to something else.

You should take those blankets back and exchange them for fluffy blue towels that can absorb Zack Snyder apologist's tears! (thumbs u

http://observer.com/2016/05/dc-universe-stinks-and-will-never-catch-up-to-marvel/

Oh, can I have mine monogrammed with Superman Blue text, Batman Metallic Gray shadowing and Wonder Woman Yellow trimming?

Meanwhile, the movie neither conveyed misogynistic messages nor anywhere did it attempt to degrade women in general. Even if Lois Lane may have been a sideline character in this movie except for her key contributions to the story.

I can't speak for her, but given her profession and advocacy for equal treatment of all women as professionals in various industries including film, I'd say that her views are fairly representative.

How unrepentently sexist! :ohnoez: Just because she doesnt respect the subtle differences between words doesnt mean that all women feel the same way. (tsk)

I'd say her profession actually more likely involves significantly more interaction with a specific cross section of the female population that shares a similar level of sensitivity towards these issues, which actually weakens your point rather than strengthening it. There's nothing wrong per se with those views, but surrounding yourself with people (including you as her husband) with people who are much more likely to share those views could make it seem like a disproportionately high amount of people feel similarly.

The same could be said for being in college right now and being a fan of Bernie Sanders. You might get the feeling that 80-90% of people are in favor of him, and to not be is 'unconscionable'. But in reality, the specific targeted worldview you have in college with respect to politics makes the college student less qualified to speak for the population as a whole.

*Note that this is not a discussion of politics or even if sexism exists, just the merit of one's profession or associations making them more or less qualified to speak on behalf of a larger more general pool of people, considering they are part of a relatively specialized subset.

I disagree with DM totally regarding the "misogyny" comments.

A few days ago he agreed that it was sexism he meant, not misogyny. I don't disagree with him that that sexism was present, I just disagree that it was present enough for it to stick out. Plenty of films have at least some sexist elements, and Snyder's two Superman films don't deserve singling out for theirs.

If people confuse sexism with misogyny they need to go back to school.

Old school for me. ;)

Having discussed this subject with my wife, I can tell you most women don't see a dime's difference between the two terms.

So, you're claiming now that your wife's views are representative of 'most' women? That's some arrogance on a grand scale there.

You're being super silly in your supersilliousness.

My wife's views are reflective of what women and girls are thinking about based on her peers and readers. The word representative as you're using it implies taking a public advocacy role. Women aren't monolithic in behavior, nor do they require a spokesperson.

Your passive-aggressive question comes straight from the sad puppy playbook. If you don't know what that is, look it up. lol

Given her profession, I'm pretty sure my wife knows a lot more about how women and girls think than most folk's here, myself included. I'd respectfully suggest dropping this line of reasoning and moving on. It's a non-winner for you.

The Jungle Book just cleared $ 700 million in three weeks (not open in two countries yet). How long did it take B vs S to do that?

Batman v. Superman creamed it.

It took The Jungle Book (by Iron Man director Jon Favreau) 19 days to pass $700 million worldwide. As of yesterday, it's now sitting at more than $725 million.

It took Batman v. Superman only 12 days to pass $700 million.

(and yet it's grossed less than $175 million more worldwide in the 29 additional days reported since.)

A few days ago he agreed that it was sexism he meant, not misogyny. I don't disagree with him that that sexism was present, I just disagree that it was present enough for it to stick out. Plenty of films have at least some sexist elements, and Snyder's two Superman films don't deserve singling out for theirs.

Old school for me. ;)

Having discussed this subject with my wife, I can tell you most women don't see a dime's difference between the two terms.

I've just asked the woman sat beside me whether there was a difference...and she's firmly in the 'world of' camp.

Furthermore, she adds that if somebody doesn't know the difference, they don't understand the issue(s).

Old school for me. ;)

So, you're claiming now that your wife's views are representative of 'most' women? That's some arrogance on a grand scale there.

My wife's views are reflective of what women and girls are thinking about based on her peers and readers. The word representative implies taking a public advocacy role. Women aren't monolithic in behavior, nor do they require a spokesperson.

Your passive-aggressive question comes straight from the sad puppy playbook. If you don't know what that is, look it up. lol

Given her profession, I'm pretty sure my wife knows a lot more about how women and girls think than most folk's here, myself included. I'd respectfully suggest dropping this line of reasoning and moving on. It's a non-winner for you.

Silliness is your super power lol

Your wife could speak to a thousand different females a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and she still wouldn't know what 'most' women think.

And more arrogance on your part by telling people what they should do.

Keep trying to 'win' your argument.

Old school for me. ;)

My wife's views are reflective of what women and girls are thinking about based on her peers and readers. The word representative implies taking a public advocacy role. Women aren't monolithic in behavior, nor do they require a spokesperson.

Good god.

A lot of people have tried playing nice with you, although it's clear that you have close to zero support for your views. I myself have suggested that Snyder's treatment of female characters is not all that it could be.

This, though...this is arrogance on a global scale. Not only do you and your wife know better than anybody else (despite not having even seen BvS), but we must all move on because we have no clue?

:facepalm:

The

Old school for me. ;)

I've just asked the woman sat beside me whether there was a difference...and she's firmly in the 'world of' camp.

Furthermore, she adds that if somebody doesn't know the difference, they don't understand the issue(s).

Never said there was no difference, just that many women find misogyny in sexist attitudes and vice versa. When you ask someone a question without context, they're likely to tell only what you want to hear perhaps because of the way the question was posed. I've discussed this with women as well and heard differently.

Are we doing "camps" now? ;)

If people confuse sexism with misogyny they need to go back to school. [/

Old school for me. ;)

Good god.

A lot of people have tried playing nice with you, although it's clear that you have close to zero support for your views. I myself have suggested that Snyder's treatment of female characters is not all that it could be.

This, though...this is arrogance on a global scale. Not only do you and your wife know better than anybody else (despite not having even seen BvS), but we must all move on because we have no clue?

:facepalm:

It's never advisable playing the "lotto" card unless you know you have a winning number (a lotto people this and lotto people that). FYI, I'm not seeking affirmation or support from anyone, ...but apparently you are.

Arrogance on a global scale, really? :roflmao:

Who else here has escalated the rhetoric to personal invective directed at me and my wife?

Where in any of my comments did I state that either my wife or I professed knowing better anybody else about BvS, Mr Trump? That's hyperbole, but you're certainly entitled to your views.

Parsing words in a weak attempt to do an end run around the central topic is a poor way to build consensus or encourage substantive debate. We can agree that the words misogyny and sexist aren't interchangeable, but they are synonyms.

I suggested toning things down. I'm still offering an olive branch and inviting you to take the high road. :foryou:

The

Old school for me. ;)

Never said there was no difference, just that many women find misogyny in sexist attitudes and vice versa. When you ask someone a question without context, they're likely to tell only what you want to hear perhaps because of the way the question was posed. I've discussed this with women as well and heard differently.

I actually asked 'do you think there's a difference between sexism and misogyny'.

She said 'there's a world of difference'.

So thank you for the inference that I span the question... :eyeroll:

Can we just rename this thread "DavidMerryweather hates Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - A movie he has never seen"?

Also, why is everyone still feeding the troll?

:troll:

The

Old school for me. ;)

I actually asked 'do you think there's a difference between sexism and misogyny'.

Proof positive that we live in a small world. ;)

I wasn't suggesting that you spun the question, but if you asked a co-worker ...my assumption, for all I know the woman sitting next to you could've been your boss or a stranger on a bus... for an opinion about sexism and misogyny I'd expect you to get different answers every time based on each individual's understanding of those terms. You can't fully grasp how women (plural) feel about these subjects (for proper context) without prolonged discussions with many women. Have you done this?

The

Old school for me. ;)

I wasn't suggesting that you spun the question, but if you asked a co-worker ...my assumption, for all I know the woman sitting next to you could've been your boss or a stranger on a bus... for an opinion about sexism and misogyny I'd expect you to get different answers every time based on each individual's understanding of those terms. You can't fully grasp how women (plural) feel about these subjects (for proper context) without prolonged discussions with many women. Have you done this?

I've spoken with my wife about these issues, but that's irrelevant.

These are clearly defined terms and just because a portion of the populace might confuse the two doesn't in any way validate the usage. For a start, one is 100% gender specific and the other one...isn't.

Simply put, misogyny is a hatred for women.

Sexism is a belief, and conduct based on the belief, that one gender is superior to another in one or many ways.

I believe that cats are rather inferior to humans in a number of ways.

I love cats.

Can you not see why confusing the two does nothing to advance the debate and in fact, muddies the waters with unwanted and unwarranted junk?

I can't speak for her, but given her profession and advocacy for equal treatment of all women as professionals in various industries including film, I'd say that her views are fairly representative.

How unrepentently sexist! :ohnoez: Just because she doesnt respect the subtle differences between words doesnt mean that all women feel the same way. (tsk)

I'd say her profession actually more likely involves significantly more interaction with a specific cross section of the female population that shares a similar level of sensitivity towards these issues, which actually weakens your point rather than strengthening it.

Why? I share their sensitivity towards feminism, but that doesn't mean I think that people who are still stuck in gender stereotypes harbor a hatred for women. Nor do I have any reason to think that a majority of feminists believe that.

The

Old school for me. ;)

I've spoken with my wife about these issues, but that's irrelevant.

These are clearly defined terms and just because a portion of the populace might confuse the two doesn't in any way validate the usage. For a start, one is 100% gender specific and the other one...isn't.

Simply put, misogyny is a hatred for women.

Sexism is a belief, and conduct based on the belief, that one gender is superior to another in one or many ways.

I believe that cats are rather inferior to humans in a number of ways.

I love cats.

Can you not see why confusing the two does nothing to advance the debate and in fact, muddies the waters with unwanted and unwarranted junk?

David,

Our telepath here has really stated this quite well.

And its been stated via other means several times in the thread.

I would add that words are important, words have meaning. While related, these words are defined differently. Carrying the connotation of hatred is substantially differentiating.

The simplest and mildest analogy one can make is, for instance, a simple (and I mean dumb) guy like me reaching in front of a woman (without asking) to open a heavy door. One can deem my act as sexist due to the perception I've created that I might be stronger than the woman and that she may, in fact, need my help with said door. Its very well possible that she is just as strong as I am or even stronger. But, my almost subconscious prejudice has led me to what could be viewed as a sexist act.

This does not make me misogynistic.

MoS, and BvS are simply films, in the highest compliment, one might say art.

Flawed, yes, certainly, as all art is flawed. Many would argue that the portrayals of blacks, whites, asians, men, and women were flawed in both films. But one with a reasonable and rational mind would be hard pressed to describe either as portraying the hatred of the female gender.

Several women were depicted with strong roles in these films. One might even argue that the director took liberties with their portrayal and made them even stronger, in some instances, than how they were portrayed by their original creators in the comic medium. Either way finding 'hatred' of women as a gender in these films is a fools errand.

Standing up for feminist values is a noble pursuit.

And you may be a great chap with an enlightened mind.

But many of your comments paint a picture of a dim, self loathing tool.

I doubt you are the later, and I hope that you can see the difference.