• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Thank the gods....finally some common sense at WB/DC:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-v-superman-fallout-warner-895174

"...according to multiple sources."

hm

Speculating... Should Geoff Johns gain control, I doubt it will be a bad thing. I.e. if a change in direction is implemented, we're unlikely to end up with a popcorn movie.

However, I liked Batman Vs Superman and to me, a change in direction is unnecessary. A natural progression from BvS to JL - regardless of who is at the helm - is what is needed.

IMO. I don't expect everyone to share my view.

It will be fine to right the ship midstream for DC with JL. Shooting just started so they can change things as needed.

FWIW, can Marvel right the ship? We finally saw Civil War tonight with the kids and the theatre was one quarter full on a Friday night with rain.

My wife and kids felt it was an okay movie, but not great. I agree. The action scenes were sped up so much it was horrible, and the story was very weak. My son said he was likely the first one in his grade 5 class to see the film. I asked how he knew and he said that nobody was talking about it at school. I asked him if they normally do and he said yes, everyone was talking about AoU last summer and BvS earlier this year (and a couple of kids that saw Deadpool bragged about it lol), but there was nothing regarding Civil War.

Yet, BvS hasn't grossed anywhere near the take of Civil War. Who is seeing it?

It will be fine to right the ship midstream for DC with JL. Shooting just started so they can change things as needed.

FWIW, can Marvel right the ship? We finally saw Civil War tonight with the kids and the theatre was one quarter full on a Friday night with rain.

My wife and kids felt it was an okay movie, but not great. I agree. The action scenes were sped up so much it was horrible, and the story was very weak. My son said he was likely the first one in his grade 5 class to see the film. I asked how he knew and he said that nobody was talking about it at school. I asked him if they normally do and he said yes, everyone was talking about AoU last summer and BvS earlier this year (and a couple of kids that saw Deadpool bragged about it lol), but there was nothing regarding Civil War.

Uhhmmmm...Marvel has nothing to "fix" or "right" pretty much everything they have touched has been a solid money maker and they have even built solid franchises on "obscure" books like GOG. Civil War is doing just fine.

DC can't even do a proper Batman/Superman movie. The only thing that 'saved' that movie was the anticipation of it and the title characters attached and the "kewl"big fight (which sucked IMO)...I think the drop off numbers show that.

DC has an amazing character library...It is just frustrating as a fan of all comics to see DC/WB fumbling these opportunities.

You do realize Civil War was a capstone that had 12 previous films - only one of which didn't tie in with the rest (Guardians of the Galaxy) - right?

So how do you compare a standalone movie that only had Man of Steel as a launching point to that? Other than convincing yourself all the other DC films were the buildup to this recent movie.

Uhhmmmm...Marvel has nothing to "fix" or "right" pretty much everything they have touched has been a solid money maker and they have even built solid franchises on "obscure" books like GOG. Civil War is doing just fine.

DC can't even do a proper Batman/Superman movie. The only thing that 'saved' that movie was the anticipation of it and the title characters attached and the "kewl"big fight (which sucked IMO)...I think the drop off numbers show that.

DC has an amazing character library...It is just frustrating as a fan of all comics to see DC/WB fumbling these opportunities.

Although Marvel has done an amazing job overall, talking as if they haven't stumbled (The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The First Avenger) and had to learn from these experiences is putting on Marvel blinders.

The Incredible Hulk definitely taught them a hard lesson where someone thought it was a great idea to have Ed Norton re-write the -script for the movie because he was a 'hardcore fan' of the character. How'd that turn out?

Although Marvel has done an amazing job overall, talking as if they haven't stumbled (The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The First Avenger) and had to learn from these experiences is putting on Marvel blinders.

The Incredible Hulk definitely taught them a hard lesson where someone thought it was a great idea to have Ed Norton re-write the -script for the movie because he was a 'hardcore fan' of the character. How'd that turn out?

Sorry, I did not mean to come across as a Marvel Zombie and that everything they have done has been amazing and yes, there were some mediocre movies and yeah, both Hulk and Thor 2 were disappointments for sure but nothing that was been so poorly reviewed as BvS, especially for a big "tent pole" movie that you are building your entire movie universe on.

What was wrong with Captain America the First Avenger though? It had decent ratings did it not?

Sorry, I did not mean to come across as a Marvel Zombie and that everything they have done has been amazing and yes, there were some mediocre movies and yeah, both Hulk and Thor 2 were disappointments for sure but nothing that was been so poorly reviewed as BvS, especially for a big "tent pole" movie that you are building your entire movie universe on.

What was wrong with Captain America the First Avenger though? It had decent ratings did it not?

Captain America: The First Avenger, though it gave us an actor perfectly suited for the role (Chris Evans rocks in this role) is a very slow-paced film, and scores on the lower end for both IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes because of that slow pace. When they start showing Cap with The Howling Commandos going from mission to mission, even that could have added a lot more spice to the story. Yet it was jumping from scene to scene to establish they accomplished much to win the war - but the buildup to these scenes are left out.

Far from a failure, as I have watched the movie a few times. But not a home run like Iron Man, Thor, or one of the greatest Marvel films - The Winter Soldier. It did give us some fantastic scenes, though.

I love this scene!

What was the 'stumble' on Captain America: The First Avenger?

There are myopians over in the Gold forum who can't see beyond their own viewpoint. I kid you not.

Do I actually need to read any of their posts to have an opinion on them?

Read above.

I did - I had to stop reading it because it was a very slow paced post :whistle:

Read above.

I did - I had to stop reading it because it was a very slow paced post :whistle:

Sorry - I was watching Captain America: The First Avenger when I typed it.

:acclaim:

Read above.

Good - slow learners need to repeat the process enough times until they understand what is going on :baiting:

Read above.

Good - slow learners need to repeat the process enough times until they understand what is going on :baiting:

lol

Don't worry. We'll get you to the point you realize Marvel Studios had some lessons learned early on.

:baiting:

The win for Marvel is it learned from those experiences. Other studios - wash/rinse/repeat too often.

I'm confused.

1) Trying to explain away Batman v. Superman's failure because it was only the second movie in a shared universe is specious. Reboot or not, it is also coming on the heels of the most successful (critically & financially) superhero trilogy of all times (the Nolan films).

2) Comparing it to Captain America is insipid, that'd be like trying to compare the first Spider-Man film to Blade.

Captain America was (& still is) a B-list comic character, vs. Superman and Batman, who are A-list (two of the three most famous superheroes period) and have already had how many movies between them? 13?

3) Captain America had an 80% positive rating on rotten tomatoes, vs. 27% for BvS.

And this poor critical reception for the latter is reflected in its run. The movie's gone from theater's after just 56 days; Captain America ran for 112 days (i.e., more than twice as long).

How long will Civil War be in the theatres? Looking at how fast they are dropping screens here in Edmonton, I would guess it has another week before it is down to just one screen per day with a couple of showings. Last night the theatre was 1/4 full and the line for the next showing was even smaller - all of this on a Friday night with bad weather. Take out those of us with younger kids from the first showing and I bet that the later (9:30 pm) showing was maybe 15% full.

There are so many movies coming out now that most big films will only last 4 - 6 weeks. Once X-Men Apocalypse hits next weekend I expect the attendance at Civil War to be even worse. Mind you, I am not sure how well the X-Men flick will do. There is likely some super-hero movie fatigue going on right now.

I'm confused.

1) Trying to explain away Batman v. Superman's failure because it was only the second movie in a shared universe is specious. Reboot or not, it is also coming on the heels of the most successful (critically & financially) superhero trilogy of all times (the Nolan films).

2) Comparing it to Captain America is insipid, that'd be like trying to compare the first Spider-Man film to Blade.

Captain America was (& still is) a B-list comic character, vs. Superman and Batman, who are A-list (two of the three most famous superheroes period) and have already had how many movies between them? 13?

3) Captain America had an 80% positive rating on rotten tomatoes, vs. 27% for BvS.

And this poor critical reception for the latter is reflected in its run. The movie's gone from theater's after just 56 days; Captain America ran for 112 days (i.e., more than twice as long).

I'm confused you're confused.

People popping in this thread to state Marvel Studios has had a non-stop series of wins with never a hiccup in its formula is myopic in scope versus factoring in the entire run of films and lessons gained early on. Either that or disingenuous in opinion, ignoring any flaws.

It's like your jumping on any bad financial news - no matter if they are factual or not - because you are upset the movie didn't live up to your expectations. Posting the Latino Review references repeatedly what it cost to make the film - which then was pointed out as flawed - so then jumping on the next piece of news. All to make a point you were not happy with the film.

Captain America has been around a very long time, and is a well-recognized character associated with Marvel Comics. Calling him a 'b-player' in order make it sound like Marvel was starting from scratch with the character to educate viewers is also myopic. There have been action figures, coloring books, posters, t-shirts, clocks, lamp shades and other merchandise with the Captain America shield or image for decades. Or did you miss all that?

How long will Civil War be in the theatres? Looking at how fast they are dropping screens here in Edmonton, I would guess it has another week before it is down to just one screen per day with a couple of showings. Last night the theatre was 1/4 full and the line for the next showing was even smaller - all of this on a Friday night with bad weather. Take out those of us with younger kids from the first showing and I bet that the later (9:30 pm) showing was maybe 15% full.

There are so many movies coming out now that most big films will only last 4 - 6 weeks. Once X-Men Apocalypse hits next weekend I expect the attendance at Civil War to be even worse. Mind you, I am not sure how well the X-Men flick will do. There is likely some super-hero movie fatigue going on right now.

^^

I enjoyed Civil War though btw