• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I'm not ignoring the faults of the other Marvel films or that they may have stumbled but has any RECENT pure Marvel Studios film rated as poorly on RT or IMDB as BvS has? NO. I think the general consensus is that overall, this movie was a big disappointment. Why is that NOT ok to say?

To borrow a phrase, Batman and Superman have been around a very long time, and are probably the most recognizable comic book characters in the world. there have been multiple movies, action figures, coloring books, posters, t-shirts, clocks, lamp shades and other merchandise with the Batman and Superman shield or image for decades.

This movie should have been a HUGE slam dunk but had it not been for the established fandom and casual people who know who Batman and Superman are and the hype, this movie would have been a big failure. If GOG got these kind of reviews, it would not have pulled in the money BvS has.

To be clear, I want DC/WB films to succeed. There is such an amazing list of characters to use and that I want to see onscreen but done well. They need to sort out their comic book movie division and their way moving forward.

How long will Civil War be in the theatres? Looking at how fast they are dropping screens here in Edmonton, I would guess it has another week before it is down to just one screen per day with a couple of showings. Last night the theatre was 1/4 full and the line for the next showing was even smaller - all of this on a Friday night with bad weather. Take out those of us with younger kids from the first showing and I bet that the later (9:30 pm) showing was maybe 15% full.

There are so many movies coming out now that most big films will only last 4 - 6 weeks. Once X-Men Apocalypse hits next weekend I expect the attendance at Civil War to be even worse. Mind you, I am not sure how well the X-Men flick will do. There is likely some super-hero movie fatigue going on right now.

Cap:CW will do $375MM more WW box office than BvS. While the multiple on Cap:CW of 2.4x first weekend domestically is disappointing given the 90RT/75 Metacritic it's better than BvS's embarrassing <2 multiple. Cap:CW may not have had legs but BvS didn't even have stumps; credit to WB for finding a window to open the movie w/ no competition but that's all it did; it opened and then it closed due to critical lambasting and terrible word of mouth.

Edited by paperheart

There are so many movies coming out now that most big films will only last 4 - 6 weeks.

You're not wrong, but it's not such a systemic change since 2011 (when Captain America came out) as you're implying.

For instance, it's worth noting that Deadpool is still (barely) playing in U.S. theaters whereas BvS is not, and it came out a full five weeks earlier.

Heck -- even Ant-Man lasted three more weeks in the theaters than BvS.

I'm not ignoring the faults of the other Marvel films or that they may have stumbled but has any RECENT pure Marvel Studios film rated as poorly on RT or IMDB as BvS has? NO. I think the general consensus is that overall, this movie was a big disappointment. Why is that NOT ok to say?

To borrow a phrase, Batman and Superman have been around a very long time, and are probably the most recognizable comic book characters in the world. there have been multiple movies, action figures, coloring books, posters, t-shirts, clocks, lamp shades and other merchandise with the Batman and Superman shield or image for decades.

This movie should have been a HUGE slam dunk but had it not been for the established fandom and casual people who know who Batman and Superman are and the hype, this movie would have been a big failure. If GOG got these kind of reviews, it would not have pulled in the money BvS has.

To be clear, I want DC/WB films to succeed. There is such an amazing list of characters to use and that I want to see onscreen but done well. They need to sort out their comic book movie division and their way moving forward.

Who said it wasn't okay to say you didn't enjoy the film? But you stating it was a total disappointment as if that is the overall opinion - if that was your intent - would not be completely accurate.

There are quite a few folks that clearly state the film was flawed in its delivery, yet brought so much of what they wanted from the DC Trilogy. And where the majority had reservations about Ben Affleck as Batman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, those became part of the strengths of the film.

The DC/Warner organizational changes are a nice touch, as previously when it was brought up who was the Kevin Feige of that organization, Zack Snyder had to point out 6-8 producers that supposedly filled that role. Yet none had a comic book background. Now the answer is two, with one being one of the most respected names in comic books. Things can only get better from here.

But no - Batman v Superman was not a total bust, leading to no excitement over the future of DCEU. And hopefully you get to experience what you are desiring from these films.

:foryou:

I think the general consensus is that overall, this movie was a big disappointment. Why is that NOT ok to say?

Just to demonstrate a non-biased assessment, 196 fellow board members gave their clear opinions what they thought (maybe some more than once :insane: ).

6DawBie.png

The most frequent vote was an 8.0/10.0 though on the average it was a 6.24/10.0 due to the spread of votes given. That doesn't feel like an 'overall big disappointment' rating.

But it certainly had much room for improvement in pulling together a story that the general audience could follow and appreciate.

:foryou:

I should have clarified, I was speaking more in terms of the general audience and reviews.

Getting a RT score of less than 30% is a disappointment. I don't see how it can be seen any other way (shrug)

For the record, I think that the 27% score is undeserved. The audience score of 67% is closer in line to where I personally put it, at about 60%.

I'm hopeful for the WW flick based on Gadot's performance.

The general audience, if you look at IMDb's 287,234 user votes, landed at 7.1 overall. So this 'general audience disappointment' varies based on reviewer and site. But it certainly didn't rank as the greatest superhero movie ever made. There is definitely much room for improvement.

Interesting with Rotten Tomatoes it shows of 209,936 users they gave BvS a 3.6/5.0 average rating, which is a 72% score yet the site shows 67% total. But when I check Civil War's score across 139,767 users, they gave it a 4.4/5.0 which is an 88% vote. Yet RT shows it at 91%. Odd math going on there.

I feel good so far about the Wonder Woman movie. I feel just as good about a standalone Batman movie. And I also think Aquaman could be a surprise hit. It is The Flash I am most concerned with. I think DCEU has backed itself into a corner due to the success of the TV show.

Yeah...um...posting poll results drawn from ~200 frequent posters to a comic book message board is not exactly an unbiased view.

We are the comic book geeks. We, more than anything, want these movies to succeed. And many of us have thousands of dollars bet on their success.

The general public is far less biased, and they soundly rejected BvS, especially after the first weekend, when pre-sales finished and actual word-of-mouth got out.

Had it been any good, that would not have been the case.

Yeah...um...posting poll results drawn from ~200 frequent posters to a comic book message board is not exactly an unbiased view.

We are the comic book geeks. We, more than anything, want these movies to succeed. And many of us have thousands of dollars bet on their success.

The general public is far less biased, and they soundly rejected BvS, especially after the first weekend, when pre-sales finished and actual word-of-mouth got out.

Um..um..

The 196 (sorry you didn't count all those piggies on your feet) was to show even from our community - which would be the harshest to any comic book film - they ranked it higher than the general audience.

Um..

Um..um..

The 196 (sorry you didn't count all those piggies on your feet) was to show even from our community - which would be the harshest to any comic book film - they ranked it higher than the general audience.

Um..

lol

Um..um..

Um..

lol

Learned a new word? See - worth reading these things.

;)

There are myopians over in the Gold forum who can't see beyond their own viewpoint. I kid you not.

Do I actually need to read any of their posts to have an opinion on them?

Actually no. You just have to read one of their previous posts and use that to form an opinion on the one you haven't read.

...posting poll results drawn from ~200 frequent posters to a comic book message board is not exactly an unbiased view...

Many of whom have been extremely vocal about their dislike for the movie. If anything, it's probably biased towards their view.

However, we shouldn't concern ourselves with such matters. This is, after all, a comic book message board and biased views are aplenty. Why, only today someone described a movie that's made $870m as a "failure"... ;)

Well, there you go!

Dead Robin In BATMAN V SUPERMAN Confirmed As Jason Todd

Several days ago, the Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood official Facebook page posted video in which tour guide John Kourounis provided a live tour of the DC Universe: The Exhibit. When he got to the Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice portion of the exhibit, he revealed that Jason Todd is indeed the dead Robin.

“This was one of the big things from Batman v Superman, right across this way. The Jason Todd/Robin suit,” Kourounis said. “Spray painted on the front, ‘Ha-Ha. The joke’s on you Batman.’ Those of you that know the storyline, know what happened to this Robin.”

In the 1988-89 “A Death in the Family” (Batman #426-429) story arc, The Joker kidnapped the second Robin, Jason Todd. He then tortured Jason, savagely beating him with a crowbar, and even made his estranged mother, Sheila Haywood, watch. Joker leaves them both to die in a warehouse rigged to explode. KaBOOM!

The DC Tour looks fantastic. Gene Simmons helped open the tour.

If he's actually dead, as in dead dead, then he can't be the Joker in Suicide Squad. That then gives credibility to my Joker theory... :whistle:

But is he really dead, or is the Batman solo movie going to be 'Under the Red Hood' inspired?

It may be too soon for that.

The same Forbes contributor that has been talking repeatedly about the 'failure' of Batman v Superman wrote a piece about dealing with a small challenge.

Box Office: 'Batman V Superman' May Outgross Nearly All Of This Summer's Blockbusters

One of the conundrums regarding Batman v Superman is that it’s being treated like a flop despite grossing an obscene amount of money around the world. So as summer gets into shape this weekend, with Captain America: Civil War crossing $1 billion today or tomorrow and X-Men: Apocalypse opening around the world yesterday, we come upon a weird factoid. There exists not a single live-action movie coming out this summer henceforth that wouldn’t be overjoyed to approach the $870 MM final worldwide gross of Batman v Superman.

You can make the case that Walt Disney's 'Finding Dory' is going for the $1 billion+ gold, but even that film coming in at $870 MM would make it the third-biggest Pixar grosser ever (behind Finding Nemo and Toy Story 3). You can argue that a $870 MM final total for Captain America: Civil War would have required some spin, but it still would have been a 34% jump from Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($714 MM). And Independence Day earned $817 MM back in 1996 when that made it one of the biggest-grossing movies ever, so perhaps Fox is hoping for a similar result with overseas expansion and inflation.

But otherwise, anything approaching that sum would be a monster win for every other live-action film coming out not just this summer - but this year.

I wrote three years ago, my second-ever Forbes posts actually, about the danger that rested in the normalization of the $1 billion+ global blockbuster. Six years ago we had six such smash hits, but as of today or tomorrow, we will have twenty-five. And now we have arguably our first victim of this new phenomenon, a film that earned more money that almost any other film this year that was not only seen as a disappointment but also cause for a complete overhaul of the franchise it was intended to begin.

This 'billion dollars or bust' mentality in question from the same reporter that has been pointing out Batman v Superman missing this mark is quite the self-reflection.

If he's actually dead, as in dead dead, then he can't be the Joker in Suicide Squad. That then gives credibility to my Joker theory... :whistle:

But is he really dead, or is the Batman solo movie going to be 'Under the Red Hood' inspired?

It may be too soon for that.

I'd say yes, really dead. No fake body. No Lazarus pit. Dead.

That means Joker is...

The same Forbes contributor that has been talking repeatedly about the 'failure' of Batman v Superman wrote a piece about dealing with a small challenge.

Box Office: 'Batman V Superman' May Outgross Nearly All Of This Summer's Blockbusters

One of the conundrums regarding Batman v Superman is that it’s being treated like a flop despite grossing an obscene amount of money around the world. So as summer gets into shape this weekend, with Captain America: Civil War crossing $1 billion today or tomorrow and X-Men: Apocalypse opening around the world yesterday, we come upon a weird factoid. There exists not a single live-action movie coming out this summer henceforth that wouldn’t be overjoyed to approach the $870 MM final worldwide gross of Batman v Superman.

You can make the case that Walt Disney's 'Finding Dory' is going for the $1 billion+ gold, but even that film coming in at $870 MM would make it the third-biggest Pixar grosser ever (behind Finding Nemo and Toy Story 3). You can argue that a $870 MM final total for Captain America: Civil War would have required some spin, but it still would have been a 34% jump from Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($714 MM). And Independence Day earned $817 MM back in 1996 when that made it one of the biggest-grossing movies ever, so perhaps Fox is hoping for a similar result with overseas expansion and inflation.

But otherwise, anything approaching that sum would be a monster win for every other live-action film coming out not just this summer - but this year.

I wrote three years ago, my second-ever Forbes posts actually, about the danger that rested in the normalization of the $1 billion+ global blockbuster. Six years ago we had six such smash hits, but as of today or tomorrow, we will have twenty-five. And now we have arguably our first victim of this new phenomenon, a film that earned more money that almost any other film this year that was not only seen as a disappointment but also cause for a complete overhaul of the franchise it was intended to begin.

This 'billion dollars or bust' mentality in question from the same reporter that has been pointing out Batman v Superman missing this mark is quite the self-reflection.

Here's the thing. Is there two more widely known, universally loved, and long standing intellectual properties than Batman and Superman. (The only one I can think of is Mickey mouse). Comparing finding dory or even X-Men is foolish. These two giant, well known characters in a film together should make this much money, especially in an environment that is tailor made to make this much. If a batman and Superman had been made in 1978 noone would have expected a 100 million dollar, let alone 1 billion film because that's not the expectation. But when you have 3 Marvel movies that had already grossed 1 billion +, 2 batman films that also did the same thing, AND seen proof that even 2 billion is possible (star wars) then there is no reason that such established properties should not cross 1 billion.

Think of it like the dream team (1992 olympic team) when you put something that massive together (the biggest most well known players in the world) and put them against a bunch of no bodies (come on BvS faced no real competition, even Disney did not expect zootopia and the jungle book to be as big as they were.) It's gold medal or bust. Coming out and saying hey we got the bronze, that's great too! Is not acceptable. Remember, both cap and zootopia out grossed it already and there is the whole summer schedule still ahead. If junglebook pulls in another 13 million worldwide lifetime (and it's on track to do so) then BvS becomes the 4th highest grossing of the year, and again a very "big" summer still ahead (including the winter with rebel 1 which also has a billion dollar expectation on it)