• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

The truth of the matter is this film was neither the abject failure nor runaway success that most here are touting. This film will not stop Warner from making future DC films or even dump Snyder, but neither will it make them give a carte blanche to Snyder to continue with his vision. Like many I think bringing in Geoff Johns is a huge positive.

Oh yeah?

:sumo:

Wait. We said the same thing. Just a different way.

(:

We said the same thing? Then I change my position. BvS was both a huge success and an abject failure. WB is going to stop making films and fire Snyder after giving him complete control.

The truth of the matter is this film was neither the abject failure nor runaway success that most here are touting. This film will not stop Warner from making future DC films or even dump Snyder, but neither will it make them give a carte blanche to Snyder to continue with his vision. Like many I think bringing in Geoff Johns is a huge positive.

Oh yeah?

:sumo:

Wait. We said the same thing. Just a different way.

(:

We said the same thing? Then I change my position. BvS was both a huge success and an abject failure. WB is going to stop making films and fire Snyder after giving him complete control.

Well, at least you are consistent.

lol

Is there a comp for this aspect of Batman vs Superman?

BvS was a wildly successful franchise movie, with very low critical response.

27% RT, $328m domestic run.

What's the comparable? I cant find one... Marvel hasnt had a movie with as low a critical response.

Thor Dark World is the least well reviewed of them. It still had a 66% RT, it did $206m domestic, so it still out-grossed its predecessor (which itself had a 77% RT), but Im, curious to see if the next movie takes a step down in returns as these are the least well recieved movies of the MU.

Iron Man went 94, 72, 79 in RT, but has gone up in $ (318, 312, $409m).

So again, is there a franchise blockbuster out there (super hero or not) that had such poor reviews, and what affect did that have on subsequent movies in the franchise?

X-Men Origins Wolverine? It was down at 38% RT, and did $179m in domestic... but the X-men rebounded well with Days of Future past (91%RT and $233m) and it appeared that audiences did not let the stink of origins carry over to Days...but that movies was a little more "ancillary" than where BvS fits in with the DCU...

thoughts?

I see you left out First Class. I thought for such a great movie, it did underwhelmingly modest domestic numbers for a X-Men movie.

What's the comparable? I cant find one... Marvel hasnt had a movie with as low a critical response.

Thor Dark World is the least well reviewed of them. It still had a 66% RT, it did $206m domestic, so it still out-grossed its predecessor (which itself had a 77% RT), but Im, curious to see if the next movie takes a step down in returns as these are the least well recieved movies of the MU.

Iron Man went 94, 72, 79 in RT, but has gone up in $ (318, 312, $409m).

So again, is there a franchise blockbuster out there (super hero or not) that had such poor reviews, and what affect did that have on subsequent movies in the franchise?

X-Men Origins Wolverine? It was down at 38% RT, and did $179m in domestic... but the X-men rebounded well with Days of Future past (91%RT and $233m) and it appeared that audiences did not let the stink of origins carry over to Days...but that movies was a little more "ancillary" than where BvS fits in with the DCU...

thoughts?

I see you left out First Class. I thought for such a great movie, it did underwhelmingly modest domestic numbers for a X-Men movie.

Um how did we forget about some of the worst movies ever. Transformers more then melts the screen!. Age of Extinction was 18% RT, 1.1 Billion Worldwide. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen was 19% RT, 402 million domestic, 832 million Global.

Um how did we forget about some of the worst movies ever. Transformers more then melts the screen!. Age of Extinction was 18% RT, 1.1 Billion Worldwide. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen was 19% RT, 402 million domestic, 832 million Global.

oh god I forgot about that steaming pile...

I feel like the global markets dont react the same to reviews as the domestic markets, so I wanted to look domesticly...

T1: 57% RT....$319m

T2: 19% RT....$402m

T3: 35% RT....$352m

T4: 18% RT....$245m

So the question is... do we see the DCU take a downturn in box office results (domestically) like Transformers did? Does that make them reevaluate the cast?

I talked to a bunch of different people since this came out and the consensus still is

Batman and Wonder Women were cool and the Superman mythos part was out of whack.

Biggest gripes were Doomsday looked too CGI and just about everybody hated Luthor.

Also what I didn`t realize was how popular Smallville was with these people. A lot of these people were dissatisfied with Snyder`s Superman because he had nothing in common with the Smallville Superman.

The Luthor of Smallville kept getting mentioned as their version of Luthor and not the Snyder version.

091029smallville_michaelrosenbaum1.jpg

Two things I get from this was Smallville was a modern generation`s Superman, and this does not bold well for the upcoming Flash movie,as everybody now thinks of Flash as the CW version.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Although a negative spin is associated with the news, the reality is with the new executive structure they need to ensure the two leads are most probably setup to drive things versus any in-house fighting.

Producer Charles Roven to Shift Role on DC Movies (Exclusive)

Charles Roven, the veteran producer who has worked on every DC Comics movie at Warner Bros. since 2005’s Batman Begins, is no longer producing certain DC movies, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

"Roven is a key member of not only the DC slate but of the Warner Bros. family," says a studio spokesman.

Warner Bros., which leverages its DC IP across multiple channels, among them publishing and video games, now is taking steps to course-correct its approach as it develops its superhero slate. It recently shuffled its executive ranks to have executive vp Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, DC's chief content officer, co-run DC Films banner. It also is seeking to hire a more established director for The Flash, set for 2018, after parting ways with screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith, who initially was attached to make his directorial debut with the project.

I talked to a bunch of different people since this came out and the consensus still is

Batman and Wonder Women were cool and the Superman mythos part was out of whack.

Biggest gripes were Doomsday looked too CGI and just about everybody hated Luthor.

Also what I didn`t realize was how popular Smallville was with these people. A lot of these people were dissatisfied with Snyder`s Superman because he had nothing in common with the Smallville Superman.

The Luthor of Smallville kept getting mentioned as their version of Luthor and not the Snyder version.

Two things I get from this was Smallville was a modern generation`s Superman, and this does not bold well for the upcoming Flash movie,as everybody now thinks of Flash as the CW version.

Not going to dig them up, but I've had many posts over the years saying that the way they should've handled Superman was to transition from the Smallville show to the big screen.

Interesting and probably spot-on.

This may sound elitist, but I hope not. I was thinking early on when reading the reviews... maybe being able to park your butt in a seat and open yourself up to a story, novel or film, is a learned skill. Comes with being a strory-junkie.

Conditioning, expectations and prejudgment are pleasure-robbers when it comes to enjoying tales to the full extent of what each have to offer. But it ain't easy to 'let go' and trust.

They're all part of the Multiverse apparently....so if you dug Rosenbaum over Eisenberg.....both are Luthor.

Heck, even John Wesley Shipp has been depicted on the CURRENT CW Flash show as BOTH Jay Garrick and as Barry Allen via the Multiverse. They just revealed him to be Garrick the original Flash from Earth-3 in the comics last night, and on a prior episode: In "Welcome to Earth-2", as Barry, Cisco and Wells are traveling to Earth-2, glimpses of the multiverse are seen, including an image of Shipp as the Flash from the 1990 series, implying that the series was retroactively being added to the Arrowverse-multiverse.

Jay_Garrick_%28John_Wesley_Shipp%29.jpg

the-flash-jws-flash-168967.jpg

Rosenbaum was a better Flash.

Smallville sucked.

I have to admit I was never the biggest fan of Smallville. However, I did like the way Lex Luthor was portrayed.

Rosenbaum was a better Flash.

Smallville sucked.

I have to admit I was never the biggest fan of Smallville. However, I did like the way Lex Luthor was portrayed.

A few years back I would have agreed Smallville was not high on my list. Last year after having a chance to get through Seasons Six through Eight, I have to say there were plenty of good episodes. Especially the JSA episodes when Hawkman and Green Arrow would attempt to prove who was the lower swinging Richard. Those characters didn't care for one another.

They're all part of the Multiverse apparently....so if you dug Rosenbaum over Eisenberg.....both are Luthor.

Heck, even John Wesley Shipp has been depicted on the CURRENT CW Flash show as BOTH Jay Garrick and as Barry Allen via the Multiverse. They just revealed him to be Garrick the original Flash from Earth-3 in the comics last night, and on a prior episode: In "Welcome to Earth-2", as Barry, Cisco and Wells are traveling to Earth-2, glimpses of the multiverse are seen, including an image of Shipp as the Flash from the 1990 series, implying that the series was retroactively being added to the Arrowverse-multiverse.

WOW. All those Flashes and they still have to have a new one for the movie... ;)

So let me get this straight... John Wesley Shipp is:-

1) Barry Allen's father Henry

2) Barry Allen

3) Jay Garrick

...?

I always liked Jay Garrick.

WOW. All those Flashes and they still have to have a new one for the movie... ;)

2) Barry Allen

3) Jay Garrick

...?

Yep, JWS is ALL THOSE FOLKS.....AND there's yet ANOTHER Flash in the movies........welcome to the Multiverse.

2) Barry Allen

3) Jay Garrick

...?

Yep, JWS is ALL THOSE FOLKS.....AND there's yet ANOTHER Flash in the movies........welcome to the Multiverse.

The good old Multiverse... brought out to explain why we have so many different shows & movies that don't tie in with each other. Marvel would never come up with such a brilliant concept... ;)