• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I have to agree, Batman and Superman are some of the most recognized comic book characters next to the core Disney characters, Astro Boy, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Wolverine and now Iron Man. At one point I would say characters like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Woody Woodpecker too. But they have not been heavily used like they used to.

But if most recognized or best presented leads to highest box office, haven't there been quite a few folks posting Captain America: Civil War is the best Marvel Studios movie yet? So if the box office numbers were to prove that out, it needs to exceed The Avengers ($1.52B as of 2012, $1.57B when adjusted for 2016). It must! It is the best Marvel movie yet, with the same characters built up over 9 of the 12 movies.

What will the rest of 2016 look like with billion dollar 'winners'?

• May 27, 2016 – X-Men: Apocalypse
  • May 27, 2016 – Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass
  • June 3, 2016 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
  • June 10, 2016 – Warcraft
  • June 17, 2016 – Central Intelligence (Dwayne Johnson)
  • June 17, 2016 – Finding Dory (Disney)
  • June 24, 2016 – Independence Day: Resurgence
  • July 1, 2016 – The Legend of Tarzan
  • July 15, 2016 – Ghostbusters
  • July 22, 2016 – Star Trek Beyond
  • July 29, 2016 – Jason Bourne
  • August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayers)
  • August 5, 2016 – The Founder (Michael Keaton's take on McDonald's founder)
  • August 12, 2016 – Pete's Dragon (Disney)
  • August 19, 2016 – Ben-Hur (2016)
  • September 16, 2016 – Snowden
  • September 23, 2016 – The Magnificent Seven
  • October 21, 2016 – Underworld 5
  • October 21, 2016 – Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
  • November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange
  • November 23, 2016 – Moana (Disney)
  • December 16, 2016 – Star Wars: Rogue One
  • December 21, 2016 – Assassin's Creed

I agree with you. Rogue One seems to be the sure bet so far. And maybe one or two surprises. We'll see.

Through the looking glass and independence day are the two I think have an outside shot of passing BvS. I'm banking that rouge one will definitely pass it.

1) What JayBuck said.

BvS being outdone by Civil War, let alone (domestically) by Deadpool is like me playing pick-up basketball against Kobe Bryant and only losing to him by two points.

2) For me, the core piece of the Forbes article is the last sentence. Yes -- BvS expectations were $1 bn. or more worldwide, and it didn't hit that. And we live in a world where that is both fair & will become more the norm. If either Rogue One or the next PoTC similarly fail to hit $1 bn. they will be seen as similar failures. Why? Because the last few films in those franchises hit that mark (as did the last two Batman films.)

3) From that list, I think we'll see Through the Looking Glass, Rogue One and Finding Dory hit $1 bn. easily - I'm less sold on Independence Day. If it is critically maligned, it could top out at just $800-$850 mill.

1) What JayBuck said.

BvS being outdone by Civil War, let alone (domestically) by Deadpool is like me playing pick-up basketball against Kobe Bryant and only losing to him by two points.

2) For me, the core piece of the Forbes article is the last sentence. Yes -- BvS expectations were $1 bn. or more worldwide, and it didn't hit that. And we live in a world where that is both fair & will become more the norm. If either Rogue One or the next PoTC similarly fail to hit $1 bn. they will be seen as similar failures. Why? Because the last few films in those franchises hit that mark (as did the last two Batman films.)

3) From that list, I think we'll see Through the Looking Glass, Rogue One and Finding Dory hit $1 bn. easily - I'm less sold on Independence Day. If it is critically maligned, it could top out at just $800-$850 mill.

The Jungle Book is going to catch BvS and pass it at the box office. It isn't that far behind at the moment.

Star Wars R1 is the only one on that list I'd bet on.

I think Suicide Squad might do pretty well too. But not $1B.

Rogue 1 will eke past $1B. I predict Star Wars fatigue will set in long before super hero fatigue does, as they are almost literally telling the same story over and over and over.

If suicide squad even hits $500MM worldwide it should be considered a success.

-J.

Rogue 1 will eke past $1B. I predict Star Wars fatigue will set in long before super hero fatigue does, as they are almost literally telling the same story over and over and over.

-J.

Way too quick to bet on Star Wars fatigue. Most people loved TFA, and so did critics. The only way you get fatigue in the next 3 to 4 years is if Disney proves they do not know how to expand Star Wars stories. Rogue one is the first try at story expansion. I think the danger zone does not come till after SW 9.

I would be shocked if SS only did $500 MM. I think $700MM to $750MM is a fairly safe bet. That is where many of the 2nd tier superhero movies seem to be settling.

My bets for 1 bil WW box are Rogue, and Nemo. Not sure anything else will get there.

Edited by drotto

I'm confused.

1) Trying to explain away Batman v. Superman's failure because it was only the second movie in a shared universe is specious. Reboot or not, it is also coming on the heels of the most successful (critically & financially) superhero trilogy of all times (the Nolan films).

2) Comparing it to Captain America is insipid, that'd be like trying to compare the first Spider-Man film to Blade.

Captain America was (& still is) a B-list comic character, vs. Superman and Batman, who are A-list (two of the three most famous superheroes period) and have already had how many movies between them? 13?

3) Captain America had an 80% positive rating on rotten tomatoes, vs. 27% for BvS.

And this poor critical reception for the latter is reflected in its run. The movie's gone from theater's after just 56 days; Captain America ran for 112 days (i.e., more than twice as long).

The problem is, you are thinking like a comic fan with your talk about A-list and B-list characters.

As far as movies go, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man are A-list characters. The Hulk, an A-list character in comics, was not an A-list character in the movies.

The same Forbes contributor that has been talking repeatedly about the 'failure' of Batman v Superman wrote a piece about dealing with a small challenge.

Box Office: 'Batman V Superman' May Outgross Nearly All Of This Summer's Blockbusters

One of the conundrums regarding Batman v Superman is that it’s being treated like a flop despite grossing an obscene amount of money around the world. So as summer gets into shape this weekend, with Captain America: Civil War crossing $1 billion today or tomorrow and X-Men: Apocalypse opening around the world yesterday, we come upon a weird factoid. There exists not a single live-action movie coming out this summer henceforth that wouldn’t be overjoyed to approach the $870 MM final worldwide gross of Batman v Superman.

You can make the case that Walt Disney's 'Finding Dory' is going for the $1 billion+ gold, but even that film coming in at $870 MM would make it the third-biggest Pixar grosser ever (behind Finding Nemo and Toy Story 3). You can argue that a $870 MM final total for Captain America: Civil War would have required some spin, but it still would have been a 34% jump from Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($714 MM). And Independence Day earned $817 MM back in 1996 when that made it one of the biggest-grossing movies ever, so perhaps Fox is hoping for a similar result with overseas expansion and inflation.

But otherwise, anything approaching that sum would be a monster win for every other live-action film coming out not just this summer - but this year.

I wrote three years ago, my second-ever Forbes posts actually, about the danger that rested in the normalization of the $1 billion+ global blockbuster. Six years ago we had six such smash hits, but as of today or tomorrow, we will have twenty-five. And now we have arguably our first victim of this new phenomenon, a film that earned more money that almost any other film this year that was not only seen as a disappointment but also cause for a complete overhaul of the franchise it was intended to begin.

This 'billion dollars or bust' mentality in question from the same reporter that has been pointing out Batman v Superman missing this mark is quite the self-reflection.

Here's the thing. Is there two more widely known, universally loved, and long standing intellectual properties than Batman and Superman. (The only one I can think of is Mickey mouse). Comparing finding dory or even X-Men is foolish. These two giant, well known characters in a film together should make this much money, especially in an environment that is tailor made to make this much. If a batman and Superman had been made in 1978 noone would have expected a 100 million dollar, let alone 1 billion film because that's not the expectation. But when you have 3 Marvel movies that had already grossed 1 billion +, 2 batman films that also did the same thing, AND seen proof that even 2 billion is possible (star wars) then there is no reason that such established properties should not cross 1 billion.

Think of it like the dream team (1992 olympic team) when you put something that massive together (the biggest most well known players in the world) and put them against a bunch of no bodies (come on BvS faced no real competition, even Disney did not expect zootopia and the jungle book to be as big as they were.) It's gold medal or bust. Coming out and saying hey we got the bronze, that's great too! Is not acceptable. Remember, both cap and zootopia out grossed it already and there is the whole summer schedule still ahead. If junglebook pulls in another 13 million worldwide lifetime (and it's on track to do so) then BvS becomes the 4th highest grossing of the year, and again a very "big" summer still ahead (including the winter with rebel 1 which also has a billion dollar expectation on it)

Is it possible the young crowd that Marvel movies attract (I'm talking 10 and under) was not seeing BvS because it was more dark and violent? To me, that is the difference between Civil War and BvS. Civil War is okay for the youngsters, BvS clearly is not.

Is there a comp for this aspect of Batman vs Superman?

BvS was a wildly successful franchise movie, with very low critical response.

27% RT, $328m domestic run.

What's the comparable? I cant find one... Marvel hasnt had a movie with as low a critical response.

Thor Dark World is the least well reviewed of them. It still had a 66% RT, it did $206m domestic, so it still out-grossed its predecessor (which itself had a 77% RT), but Im, curious to see if the next movie takes a step down in returns as these are the least well recieved movies of the MU.

Iron Man went 94, 72, 79 in RT, but has gone up in $ (318, 312, $409m).

So again, is there a franchise blockbuster out there (super hero or not) that had such poor reviews, and what affect did that have on subsequent movies in the franchise?

X-Men Origins Wolverine? It was down at 38% RT, and did $179m in domestic... but the X-men rebounded well with Days of Future past (91%RT and $233m) and it appeared that audiences did not let the stink of origins carry over to Days...but that movies was a little more "ancillary" than where BvS fits in with the DCU...

thoughts?

-J.

Not sure about the fatigue thing, but I'm pretty much in line with your numbers.

Close to 1B for SW. Over 500MM for SS = ^^

-J.

Way too quick to bet on Star Wars fatigue. Most people loved TFA, and so did critics. The only way you get fatigue in the next 3 to 4 years is if Disney proves they do not know how to expand Star Wars stories. Rogue one is the first try at story expansion. I think the danger zone does not come till after SW 9.

I would be shocked if SS only did $500 MM. I think $700MM to $750MM is a fairly safe bet. That is where many of the 2nd tier superhero movies seem to be settling.

My bets for 1 bil WW box are Rogue, and Nemo. Not sure anything else will get there.

Ike berinholtz claimed the movies budget to be 250 million plus reshoot costs (which could easily put it at 300 million before marketing.) That puts it needing some where between 600-900 million to not be a flop (depending on marketing budget).

The movie has a shot to hit those numbers, as it has no competition in August and kids are out of school.

For me, if it doesnt hit guardian of the Galaxy numbers it is a flop. Those are the film's that mirror each other closely enough. Team movie, with a wide cast of characters unfamiliar to the majority of audience members. Similar release date (first weekend in August) more adult (Peter quill curses and gives the finger!!!) The major difference is the star power, which may help suicide squad overseas.

-J.

Not sure about the fatigue thing, but I'm pretty much in line with your numbers.

Close to 1B for SW. Over 500MM for SS = ^^

It is hard to imagine Star Wars fatigue will come faster than superhero fatigue with 5-6x as many superhero movies coming out per year.

Edited by rjrjr

-J.

Ike berinholtz claimed the movies budget to be 250 million plus reshoot costs (which could easily put it at 300 million before marketing.) That puts it needing some where between 600-900 million to not be a flop (depending on marketing budget).

The movie has a shot to hit those numbers, as it has no competition in August and kids are out of school.

For me, if it doesnt hit guardian of the Galaxy numbers it is a flop. Those are the film's that mirror each other closely enough. Team movie, with a wide cast of characters unfamiliar to the majority of audience members. Similar release date (first weekend in August) more adult (Peter quill curses and gives the finger!!!) The major difference is the star power, which may help suicide squad overseas.

So now we are setting up the next DC movie to be a failure. Too funny.

There is no way Suicide Squad will hit GOTG numbers. GOTG was a family movie and clearly from the Suicide Squad trailers, it is an adult movie. Two completely different movies.

-J.

There is no way Suicide Squad will hit GOTG numbers. GOTG was a family movie and clearly from the Suicide Squad trailers, it is an adult movie. Two completely different movies.

I agree with you that DC is going for something different with SS than Marvel did with GOTG. SS is not for families, just for adults and teens. The question is, will they be able to make up the losses of kids and parents with teens and young adults? And if not, what are they even trying to do? DC seems to be trying to target specific types of audiences, rather than the masses, possibly as a counter to the Marvel's 'everybody has a good time' policy. That strategy can def work, as it did with deadpool. BUT can the targeting of specific audiences really work with such high profile mainstream BIG BUDGET films? I guess that's whats being tested by DC. And we'll see...

And no, BvS was not 'wildly successful' as someone stated. Solidly profitable? Maybe. Beloved by some? Possibly. Its not a myth or a conspiracy that lots of people didn't like it, and I'm pretty sure DC/WB was not planning on getting 29% RT with $900M revenues when they were deciding to make and budget the movie. If you don't think they EXPECTED better critically and commercially....

I agree with you that DC is going for something different with SS than Marvel did with GOTG. SS is not for families, just for adults and teens. The question is, will they be able to make up the losses of kids and parents with teens and young adults? And if not, what are they even trying to do? DC seems to be trying to target specific types of audiences, rather than the masses, possibly as a counter to the Marvel's 'everybody has a good time' policy. That strategy can def work, as it did with deadpool. BUT can the targeting of specific audiences really work with such high profile mainstream BIG BUDGET films? I guess that's whats being tested by DC. And we'll see...

And no, BvS was not 'wildly successful' as someone stated. Solidly profitable? Maybe. Beloved by some? Possibly. Its not a myth or a conspiracy that lots of people didn't like it, and I'm pretty sure DC/WB was not planning on getting 29% RT with $900M revenues when they were deciding to make and budget the movie. If you don't think they EXPECTED better critically and commercially....

DC/Warner definitely took a path with these first two movies that were less about general audience appeal and acceptance, and more an adult audience wanting a more serious theme. But I doubt DC/Warner wanted its movies critically panned. No matter what they said later on in the way of 'We didn't make this movie for the critics!'

What the financial target was for Warner is in their own board room, no matter what any of us make up on the fly. But the execs had to have realized there was box office risk when you make a more serious movie that will be less for the family outing. So with that risk comes a chance of much less money.

We'll see what the new DC/Warner diarchy brings in the way of direction and tone. It won't be the same path with some of the comments made by Geoff Johns. But what those near-term changes will be is the tell where they saw the gaps.

DC/Warner definitely took a path with these first two movies that were less about general audience appeal and acceptance, and more an adult audience wanting a more serious theme. But I doubt DC/Warner wanted its movies critically panned. No matter what they said later on in the way of 'We didn't make this movie for the critics!'

What the financial target was for Warner is in their own board room, no matter what any of us make up on the fly. But the execs had to have realized there was box office risk when you make a more serious movie that will be less for the family outing. So with that risk comes a chance of much less money.

We'll see what the new DC/Warner diarchy brings in the way of direction and tone. It won't be the same path with some of the comments made by Geoff Johns. But what those near-term changes will be is the tell where they saw the gaps.

The truth of the matter is this film was neither the abject failure nor runaway success that most here are touting. This film will not stop Warner from making future DC films or even dump Snyder, but neither will it make them give a carte blanche to Snyder to continue with his vision. Like many I think bringing in Geoff Johns is a huge positive.

-J.

It's fine if DC wants an Adult Movie not geared towards kids. Dead pool did that fantastically... on a $58 million dollar budget. If the film made $120 worldwide it was a success. It did way better than that (and I LOVED it, great movie. Laughed my butt off, own it on Digital)

The reports are that before reshoots it was a production budget of $250 million. That means you need it to be $500 million to be considered not a flop (mind you whether it ACTUALLY is a bomb does not matter, it's perception. For those of us outside the boardroom a film has to make 2x its production budget, no-one cares about the caveats of "well it made this much in product placement, and this much in licensing etc etc" That's why everyone said "The Smurfs 2 bombs!" because it didn't make back it's production budget, even though the product placement alone covered the cost of production (Thus Sony actually made money) And that's why Sony is rebooting the franchise next year instead of sticking with it (because hey it made money)

I compared it to guardians simply for the fact that they are direct track movies. Released around the same time, same concept (get the band together, ensemble piece, big explosions, set in a new universe while at the same time same universe, with similar budgets, AND a non-established entity. Comic nerds know Suicide Squad but mainstream audiences have no idea who Deadshot is, hence why Will Smith never has the helmet on, same with Black Manta et al. They know Harley Quinn and the Joker though so that's a leg up on GotG, same with having big stars which GotG did not have) The two movies track almost equally. O and they are both PG-13. Maybe more kids went to see it, but it wasn't rated for kids, it was rated for Teens and Adults. So again, give me a reason why SS should not hit $750mm and pegging it against that number is setting it up to be a flop when it has every reason it SHOULD hit those numbers, and also needs to be around there to hit the 2x multiplier (depending on what reshoots cost)

Agreed. With what they're purportedly spending on Suicide Squad it's going to need at least $650 worldwide to break-even, and $800 million or more worldwide to be a "hit."

That's a _huge_ step up from GotG and a much bigger gamble.

The truth of the matter is this film was neither the abject failure nor runaway success that most here are touting. This film will not stop Warner from making future DC films or even dump Snyder, but neither will it make them give a carte blanche to Snyder to continue with his vision. Like many I think bringing in Geoff Johns is a huge positive.

Oh yeah?

:sumo:

Wait. We said the same thing. Just a different way.

(: