• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Captain America Civil War Box Office through 5/25/16 = Worldwide: $1,071,699,099

BvS Box Office through 5/25/16 = Worldwide: $871,049,975

The Jungle Book Box Office through 5/25/16 = Worldwide: $862,301,886

The Jungle Book was released 3 weeks after BvS. In the next 2 weeks Jungle Book will pass BvS in box office revenue. Who would have thought that was possible?

Captain America Civil War Box Office through 5/25/16 = Worldwide: $1,071,699,099

The Jungle Book was released 3 weeks after BvS. In the next 2 weeks 3 days Jungle Book will pass BvS in box office revenue. Who would have thought that was possible?

The Jungle Book was released 3 weeks after BvS. In the next 2 weeks Jungle Book will pass BvS in box office revenue. Who would have thought that was possible?

I'm sorry. Until any of those movies surpass Frozen, you should back away from any further analysis. At least Cap3 finally passed up Toy Story 3. I was worried there for a little while (not accounting for inflation).

:insane:

I'm sorry. Until any of those movies surpass Frozen, you should back away from any further analysis. At least Cap3 finally passed up Toy Story 3. I was worried there for a little while (not accounting for inflation).

:insane:

As long as Disney and Marvel keep destroying whatever Warner puts out I'm all for it. Of course, it might have been a different story if Warner Brothers hadn't have forced the President of the studio that green lighted The Dark Knight trilogy only to have him show up across the street and become the CEO of Disney.

How a studio could mess up a movie that has the two most iconic comic characters in it I haven't a clue. They did it. Seriously, the Jungle Book is going to out gross a Batman Superman movie. 5 months ago if anyone had told you that would happen you'd have laughed at the thought. It will be a reality shortly.

I watched some of that today. Everly knows all the words to that song. Yes, she even sang the word "fractals." :-)

My daughter's learning the words... although I think it's going to be pronounced "fwactals" :)

I think we can make if official. This movie has caused more angst and division than any previous movie on this forum. How the hell is a move that has been out for 2 months still generating this many posts, regardless of your personal feelings about the film.

But then I just added to the post count. Bad poster.

I think we can make if official. This movie has caused more angst and division than any previous movie on this forum. How the hell is a move that has been out for 2 months still generating this many posts, regardless of your personal feelings about the film.

But then I just added to the post count. Bad poster.

Actually, the Man of Steel was much worse as it ended up with 5-8 active threads going at the same time in Comics General, with quite a few folks debating back and forth over was the film a bomb or not. One of those threads turned into a poll for overall ratings.

Rate "Man of Steel," 1-10 Scale

You realize that polls on a comic book message boards (ie., the most diehard comic fans on the planet) have _zero_ bearing on a film's actual quality and/or public reception, right?

Like -- I'll defend the Watchmen movie to the end of days but it was doomed to critical & commercial mediocrity from the start because the story itself isn't meant to appeal to the masses.

As a comic book geek, I _loved_ it, but there were few, if any, non-comic fans I could recommend it to because of its message and overall worldview.

He made a film for the diehard superhero fans, but in so doing nearly definitionally alienated the public at large.

The reason I don't feel the same way about BvS is that with a few easy tweaks Snyder could have made a film that was leagues better in quality _and_ far more commercially and critically successful.

It boggles my mind how he could have been given such a no-fail concept and a) messed it up so thoroughly and b) been allowed to do so by those in charge at Warner Bros.

Luckily, with the creative shuffle and appointment of Geoff Johns, perhaps DC can prevent such an egregious misfire with the Justice League, etc.

You realize that polls on a comic book message boards (ie., the most diehard comic fans on the planet) have _zero_ bearing on a film's actual quality and/or public reception, right?
I want to know what some of these "The Best Movie Ever!" posters think are great movies myself. hm

I mean I constantly sample movies from every genre from The Witch, Carol, Ex Machina, Brooklyn, High Noon, King Kong ('33), The 39 Steps ('35), Room, etc. I rarely go gaga over big-budget blockbusters (GotG and The Force Awakens excluded). I can watch something like Man of Steel or Deadpool and realize it's a solid movie, but won't give it four stars because it's good to begin with. Most of these good movies like The Winter Soldier are just disposable entertainment that is going to evaporate from my mind down the road, because they tie into too many other movies to be one whole (I mention this because I watched the 29 year old The Big Easy last night. 30 years ago, I never thought I would watch that one again. But it had character development right up until the very end that holds up, like you only see in an origin movie.) 30 years from now, I predict I'll only be watching Christopher Reeve's first two Supermen, Michael Keaton's Batmen, the Nolan Dark Knight's and a few Marvel ones (Spider-Man 2.0, GotG and a quartet of X-Men.)

I want to know what some of these "The Best Movie Ever!" posters think are great movies myself. hm

I mean I constantly sample movies from every genre from The Witch, Carol, Ex Machina, Brooklyn, High Noon, King Kong ('33), The 39 Steps ('35), Room, etc. I rarely go gaga over big-budget blockbusters (GotG and The Force Awakens excluded). I can watch something like Man of Steel or Deadpool and realize it's a solid movie, but won't give it four stars because it's good to begin with. Most of these good movies like The Winter Soldier are just disposable entertainment that is going to evaporate from my mind down the road, because they tie into too many other movies to be one whole (I mention this because I watched the 29 year old The Big Easy last night. 30 years ago, I never thought I would watch that one again. But it had character development right up until the very end that holds up, like you only see in an origin movie.) 30 years from now, I predict I'll only be watching Christopher Reeve's first two Supermen, Michael Keaton's Batmen, the Nolan Dark Knight's and a few Marvel ones (Spider-Man 2.0, GotG and a quartet of X-Men.)

That's why it's baffling to see the critics pee themselves over Marvel movies as they tend to be the most disposable of popcorn movie entertainment (which isn't a bad thing), It's almost as if they hated BVS because it dared try to be something more.

I would compare Civil War to something like Independence Day (unflappable heroes, overcoming odds, jokes in the face of danger, mass destruction but we never see any civilians actually die), a movie that critics weren't too keen on (61%), and yet, Civil War gets a 90%.

Of course anyone with a computer can be a movie reviewer these days...

...I mention this because I watched the 29 year old The Big Easy last night. 30 years ago, I never thought I would watch that one again...

Precognition...?