• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

Question to DC fans is if you took Batman,Superman and all their related titles away from DC do you still think DC would still be cooler then Marvel?

I always though DC was a two trick pony, and find the DC Universe would be pretty boring without Batman and Superman.

Marvel rules, as do Superman and Batman.

I can't say that about the rest of the new DC 52 universe.

Both the Avengers and Iron Man 3 made more at the box office than both MOS and DKR.

As for the comics, like you I don't know what the sales figures comparisons are, but if people are buying 3D covers in droves I'm assuming it's buying for the gimmick not for the quality in the pages.

You are absolutely right, DC may have more sales and that doesn't mean a darn thing, especially not that DC is better.......... but please allow me to use your own argument against you.

It cannot be proven that more people saw IM 3 because it was great, I could just as easily say that people saw IM 3 because of IM and IM 2. People saw the Avengers because of anticipation. (Totally not the case as it was amazing) But you cannot say look at the movie numbers, Marvel killed it and then turn around and say, the comic numbers don't mean anything. Either numbers mean something or they don't, you cannot pick which ones matter and discredit the others that oppose your claim.

Edited by stanley1883

Question to DC fans is if you took Batman,Superman and all their related titles away from DC do you still think DC would still be cooler then Marvel?

I always though DC was a two trick pony, and find the DC Universe would be pretty boring without Batman and Superman.

Marvel rules, as do Superman and Batman.

I can't say that about the rest of the new DC 52 universe.

Everyone has their favorites, but take away Spiderman and IronMan from Marvel and they're "less cool" too. Top to bottom I still think Marvel is better, that's my opinion. The DC New 52 has Suicide Squad which I love, I also like Birds of Prey, and have heard Aquaman is great. However I would agree with you as the whole 2 trick pony comment, I would say Batman and Superman mean much more to DC than anything Marvel has.

Both the Avengers and Iron Man 3 made more at the box office than both MOS and DKR.

As for the comics, like you I don't know what the sales figures comparisons are, but if people are buying 3D covers in droves I'm assuming it's buying for the gimmick not for the quality in the pages.

You are absolutely right, DC may have more sales and that doesn't mean a darn thing, especially not that DC is better.......... but please allow me to use your own argument against you.

It cannot be proven that more people saw IM 3 because it was great, I could just as easily say that people saw IM 3 because of IM and IM 2. People saw the Avengers because of anticipation. (Totally not the case as it was amazing) But you cannot say look at the movie numbers, Marvel killed it and then turn around and say, the comic numbers don't mean anything. Either numbers mean something or they don't, you cannot pick which ones matter and discredit the others that oppose your claim.

But you said that DC was passing Marvel - well they obviously aren't at the movies and I haven't seen any figures, and you said you haven't, to prove it either way for comic sales.

So what did you mean exactly with the 'DC is passing Marvel' comment?

I liked MOS and DKR as much as I liked the Avengers and IM3.

All i meant is that right now, this instant I would argue that DC is hotter than Marvel. they have more hype. I did not mean to imply that "passing" was "better," just more popular, and gaining more steam. It seems like Since Avengers, since IM3 Marvel didnt do much, where DC capitalized on Dark Knight, MoS was decent at the box office, and now they had the 3D cover insanity.

Moving on...

After just watching the new SHIELD show, I found it watchable in an syndicated action show kinda way. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it might be a little more grittier, like "Chronicle" for these behind the scenes guys. Not an overlit "Men in Black" (really, a flying car?) wannabe from Whedon. I'll keep up with it for now and hope it gets better like Dollhouse did.

OK...moving on

I don't have the time to read 23+ pages of comment about Agent of SHIELD. So I'll just post what I think about the show.

I think it was an alright start. When we all saw the preview, alot of people (me included) thought that the dude that saves the lady from a burning building was actually Luke Cage. Even during watching the episode, I was hoping that his name would be Luke. I like it that I was wrong. I also like it when the story surprises you

(well it did me) The story got a nice twist in the middle act.....

Also Sky is hot... and she is defiantly hiding something.

Anybody thinks that the real Agent Coulson really died during the Avengers movie, and this Coulson is a clone??

"Although it may have come in below the highest of expectations, ABC's "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." delivered TV's highest rated drama debut since November 2009 (that would be "V")

V's ratings plummeted soon after that stellar debut, much as they will for AoS if it doesn't get better quickly. I'm not going to say the pilot was terrible, but it never got past mediocre. Agent Coulson made a good supporting character in The Avengers, but Clark Gregg can't carry a whole show. And, unfortunately, the casting around him is pretty atrocious - a little bit of eye candy, yes, but, for the most part, it was just bland actors/actresses fit into obvious, cookie-cutter stereotypical roles.

There are and have been so many better done spy-related shows done on TV already; I'm not sure the world really needs another one. 2c

If the show gets any worse and cancelled, I don't see it hurting the momentum of the film franchises. It will just regarded as the "Star Wars Christmas Special" down the line and included in "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" 3-D Blu Ray set. lol

lol

Moving on...

After just watching the new SHIELD show, I found it watchable in an syndicated action show kinda way. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it might be a little more grittier, like "Chronicle" for these behind the scenes guys. Not an overlit "Men in Black" (really, a flying car?) wannabe from Whedon. I'll keep up with it for now and hope it gets better like Dollhouse did.

Good point - Dollhouse was pretty formulaic for its first six episodes but really picked up after that.

Same goes for Fringe - and that turned out to be the best science-fiction show since the X-Files.

How anyone can claim IM3 was worse than MoS, possibly the worst super-hero movie since Green Lantern or Jonah Hex, and certainly worse than even the prior Superman movie, is baffling to me unless they are just DC fanboys.. which is fine I guess... everyone has bias towards something...

I am far from a DC Fanboy, have been mostly a Marvel Zombie all my life. (worship)

I liked MoS. :applause:

I guess I baffle you too. :foryou:

By the way, your personal bias is showing. :lol:

-slym ( ;) )

You're right. Most people enjoy gems like 2.5 Men and Big Bang too.

I really should stop expecting much more than inane blather in my entertainment and join the huddled masses.

That would explain the box office take for Iron Man 3.

Others can play that game too. :grin:

If anyone is confused, allow me to clarify, I was not stating facts, just my opinion. That said, Iron Man was amazing IM 2 was ok, I thought IM 3 was a poor effort, especially in comparison. I understand that all the movies take liberties from the comics and deviate which is fine, but I though IM3 not only deviated, but got lost and died in the woods. MoS was was pretty good, granted maybe that's because I know more about Iron Man than Superman and maybe that's why I didn't notice the errors with Mos.

The problem with Iron Man 3 is they went way too far with the technology and abilities of the armor. Anything less than Tony Stark bringing an army of remote controlled armor along for the ride in the next movie (or just "controlling" the army of armor remotely) is not going to make any sense since we saw it in this movie. The Iron Man armor doesn't even need one a single human host any more (or any host for that matter), as it can be transferred from person to person to person on it's mission. (Hey, I have an idea for a comic book...) The movie armor is so vastly overpowered without any of the weakness of the armor found in the comic, that the suspense for the wearer of the armor is completely gone in the movies. They made it so the only thing they can do in the movies now is build another armored adversary and increase the firepower of the respective armored combatants.

Seriously, to go from the Iron Man Mark I armor to what we had in Iron Man 3 was just silly. Iron Man has become a Transformer. And 3 movies in, they've pretty much told us anyone can wear the armor and be Iron Man. (3 movies in, we've had 3 wearers of the armor.)

The only thing left to do now is tell "Armor Wars", but the logic of being able to contain the technology just won't make sense. With the way the technological capabilities of the armor escalated in the movies and the fact that the technology is in the hands of the US government, the US government should equip every soldier with a suit and other countries should follow suit since we know the US is great at keeping its weapons out of other country's hands.

The official Facebook page for ABC's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." has revealed a brief TV spot for the new television series, accompanied by an intriguing note regarding tomorrow night's second episode, titled "0-8-4."

"Be sure to stay until the end of the credits on Tuesday," the post teases. "In true Marvel fashion, you never know what might happen."

EW has pointed out that, at the end of the video, the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo is shown wearing an eyepatch, a la Nick Fury. Could the surprise be a cameo by Marvel Cinematic Universe superstar Samuel L. Jackson?

:headbang:

The official Facebook page for ABC's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." has revealed a brief TV spot for the new television series, accompanied by an intriguing note regarding tomorrow night's second episode, titled "0-8-4."

"Be sure to stay until the end of the credits on Tuesday," the post teases. "In true Marvel fashion, you never know what might happen."

EW has pointed out that, at the end of the video, the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo is shown wearing an eyepatch, a la Nick Fury. Could the surprise be a cameo by Marvel Cinematic Universe superstar Samuel L. Jackson?

:headbang:

Or Howard the Duck.