• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

I'm actually surprised to find so many people who think it was boring. It sounds like some people wanted to have a 42 minute 80 million dollar movie.

I thought it was a solid first episode that established the characters, organization, villains, and gadgetry pretty well. I think part of a superspy TV show is that things are allowed to play out to build suspense, create tension and introduce elements that dictate that things are really deeper than what they appear. There was a fight scene, an explosion and superhero action within the first few minutes of the episode. I'm not sure what everyone was expecting, but for me - it hit the things it needed to hit.

This is what I think caused the major disappointment amongst the fans. The majority thought it be about Marvel super heroes, but the last time I looked it was called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. When we read S.H.I.E.L.D. the comic book what did we get?

We got a spy comic book that really had not many super heroes in it, so maybe when we watch a TV show called Agents of SHIELD, maybe we should expect a show kind of like James Bond and spies, and not superheroes?

So in conclusion the majority of the people thought they were getting a superhero show, but instead got a good superspy drama.

That`s my take on it.

Thoughts?

My problem with it is that it's just a bad show. SHIELD logos or no, it's still a poorly acted and terribly produced show. I'll give it a couple episodes then I am likely out. I enjoy comics, I like marvel, but that doesn't instantly mean it's going to be a worthwhile show or change the apparent fact that this is not a good program. That's like saying the CFL kicks just because the NFL is awesome...

The acting was good, as was the production.

Not sure what you were watching.

It's got Joss Whedon's fingerprints all over it... I liked it.

The Human Target only lasted two seasons and it is a similar show (also based on a DC Character).

I liked that show, I was sorry it went off the air.

Human Target was great - better than Arrow and Smallville put together, and I like both of those.

Didn't care for the 2 scientists part of it very much, plus could hardly understand them over my kids talking.

My thoughts exactly. Why does society insist that someone with an accent equates to "brilliant"? Their accents were horrible.

Completely unintelligible dialog (thumbs u

Which was obviously intentional.

I'm actually surprised to find so many people who think it was boring. It sounds like some people wanted to have a 42 minute 80 million dollar movie.

I thought it was a solid first episode that established the characters, organization, villains, and gadgetry pretty well. I think part of a superspy TV show is that things are allowed to play out to build suspense, create tension and introduce elements that dictate that things are really deeper than what they appear. There was a fight scene, an explosion and superhero action within the first few minutes of the episode. I'm not sure what everyone was expecting, but for me - it hit the things it needed to hit.

This is what I think caused the major disappointment amongst the fans. The majority thought it be about Marvel super heroes, but the last time I looked it was called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. When we read S.H.I.E.L.D. the comic book what did we get?

We got a spy comic book that really had not many super heroes in it, so maybe when we watch a TV show called Agents of SHIELD, maybe we should expect a show kind of like James Bond and spies, and not superheroes?

So in conclusion the majority of the people thought they were getting a superhero show, but instead got a good superspy drama.

That`s my take on it.

Thoughts?

My problem with it is that it's just a bad show. SHIELD logos or no, it's still a poorly acted and terribly produced show. I'll give it a couple episodes then I am likely out. I enjoy comics, I like marvel, but that doesn't instantly mean it's going to be a worthwhile show or change the apparent fact that this is not a good program. That's like saying the CFL kicks just because the NFL is awesome...

The acting was good, as was the production.

Not sure what you were watching.

I realized a long time ago that many people here are very knowledgeable and insightful regarding comic books, but regarding film and acting...not so much...

Didn't care for the 2 scientists part of it very much, plus could hardly understand them over my kids talking.

My thoughts exactly. Why does society insist that someone with an accent equates to "brilliant"? Their accents were horrible.

Completely unintelligible dialog (thumbs u

Which was obviously intentional.

Ok . . . hm

"He must NEVER know."

Tasty little cliffhanger for first commercial break

I think there will be a reveal later on this season that Coulson is really the Vision, or a Vision-prototype type android. Just a guess.

My thought exactly. Dr. Horner's artificial man with Coulson's brain patterns. hm

Well having given the show a fair chance with my full attention, my conclusion is......no. I though the show was bad. Not horrible but teetering on the edge. I thought the acting was bad, the casting was bad, the production was ok, cinematography was sub par. The show did not feel right. Granted I cannot expect the production value of the movie but this was just bad. Arrow absolutely destroys this show in every way imaginable, and I fancy myself a Marvel guy. I hope they fix this asap because it was over-hyped and grossly under delivered.

DC is quickly passing Marvel, TV and comics currently belong to DC (especially after the 3D month) , Marvel still has movies but Iron Man 3 sucked too, while Superman was a pleasant surprise. Looking like a great year for DC, Marvel needs help.....

First of all thanks for the link.

I read it and Steranko comes off like he out of tune with the times.

:gossip:

Memo to Steranko it`s now 2013 and not 1966 when you last worked on a Marvel comic book.

I will take JOSS WHEDON`s long-term plans for Marvel over STERANKO`s short- term vision for Marvel. I think maybe Steranko drew about 9 full story comics for Marvel?

:grin:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I thought SHIELD earned about two stars out of four...compared to most engaging TV shows this days, the word I would use to describe it is "cartoony". The characters are flat (but I do like Coulson overall), the effects and cinematography generic, and the dialogue *feels* like dialogue, which is never good. There's also a level of campiness to it that won't wear well over the long haul.

That said, I enjoyed some of the plot turns and liked two of the characters in the pilot. I'll give it a chance, but agree it needs to find its legs and tone down the melodrama.

(And regarding the recent movies, I thought 'Iron Man 3' was merely OK and thought 'Man of Steel' was kind of a mess. Haven't seen a really fun and well-made comic movie since 'Avengers', which was both well-written and had moments that made me think, "Awesome!")

Dan

Well having given the show a fair chance with my full attention, my conclusion is......no. I though the show was bad. Not horrible but teetering on the edge. I thought the acting was bad, the casting was bad, the production was ok, cinematography was sub par. The show did not feel right. Granted I cannot expect the production value of the movie but this was just bad. Arrow absolutely destroys this show in every way imaginable, and I fancy myself a Marvel guy. I hope they fix this asap because it was over-hyped and grossly under delivered.

DC is quickly passing Marvel, TV and comics currently belong to DC (especially after the 3D month) , Marvel still has movies but Iron Man 3 sucked too, while Superman was a pleasant surprise. Looking like a great year for DC, Marvel needs help.....

Comparing the first episode of Arrow with this and I would say you are way off base with your comparison.

How anyone can claim IM3 was worse than MoS, possibly the worst super-hero movie since Green Lantern or Jonah Hex, and certainly worse than even the prior Superman movie, is baffling to me unless they are just DC fanboys.. which is fine I guess... everyone has bias towards something...

DC is in no way, shape, or form coming even remotely close to Marvel/Disney. DC has one noteworthy franchise in a medium outside comics that isn't borderline MST3K fodder.. (And Dark Knight Rises could go either way...)

I keep hearing good things about Arrow, but haven't watched it as there has never been anything but complete drivel on the CW.. The announced sequel to Constantine is the best decision DC has made in... well... ever.

Edited by sl4ppy

How anyone can claim IM3 was worse than MoS, possibly the worst super-hero movie since Green Lantern or Jonah Hex, and certainly worse than even the prior Superman movie, is baffling to me unless they are just DC fanboys.. which is fine I guess... everyone has bias towards something...

I am far from a DC Fanboy, have been mostly a Marvel Zombie all my life. (worship)

I liked MoS. :applause:

I guess I baffle you too. :foryou:

By the way, your personal bias is showing. :lol:

-slym ( ;) )

I am far from a DC Fanboy, have been mostly a Marvel Zombie all my life. (worship)

I liked MoS. :applause:

I guess I baffle you too. :foryou:

By the way, your personal bias is showing. :lol:

-slym ( ;) )

You're right. Most people enjoy gems like 2.5 Men and Big Bang too.

I really should stop expecting much more than inane blather in my entertainment and join the huddled masses.

Edited by sl4ppy

I don't watch TV, except for a few Adult Swim cartoons and TWD. "Comedies" like 2-1/2 Men and BBT that need canned laughter to prompt the audience aren't worthy of their title.

You should stop assuming a lot of things, I'd gather from this short convo.

:)

-slym

You're right. Most people enjoy gems like 2.5 Men and Big Bang too.

I really should stop expecting much more than inane blather in my entertainment and join the huddled masses.

I also much preferred Man of Steel to Iron Man 3. I've probably read fewer than 10 issues of both Superman and Iron Man in my life.

If anyone is confused, allow me to clarify, I was not stating facts, just my opinion. That said, Iron Man was amazing IM 2 was ok, I thought IM 3 was a poor effort, especially in comparison. I understand that all the movies take liberties from the comics and deviate which is fine, but I though IM3 not only deviated, but got lost and died in the woods. MoS was was pretty good, granted maybe that's because I know more about Iron Man than Superman and maybe that's why I didn't notice the errors with Mos.

Finally, if anyone thinks DC isn't passing Marvel, please support your claim. I was not stating that DC is better, I was stating as of right now, the present, DC has a much healthier pulse than Marvel. Avengers was amazing, but that was a while ago and with Batman and Superman being afterwards, the average person is left remembering the DC franchise, and for those that are somewhat immersed in the comic culture the DC 3D covers created an absolute madhouse. Whether you like it or hate it is irrelevant, people were buying DC not Marvel, I don't have numbers to support that, but I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case.

Whatever you like, DC or Marvel, it's not the point, my point is and was DC is a hotter commodity right now and Marvel needs to answer, Agents of Shield may very well be that answer, but no yet. DC just has a leg up right now.

And maybe this got lost in the last post so let me point it out again so I'm not accused of being bias. I prefer Marvel over DC, always did, I'm not saying this as a fan of DC, but as an observer of what I see and hear.

If anyone is confused, allow me to clarify, I was not stating facts, just my opinion. That said, Iron Man was amazing IM 2 was ok, I thought IM 3 was a poor effort, especially in comparison. I understand that all the movies take liberties from the comics and deviate which is fine, but I though IM3 not only deviated, but got lost and died in the woods. MoS was was pretty good, granted maybe that's because I know more about Iron Man than Superman and maybe that's why I didn't notice the errors with Mos.

Finally, if anyone thinks DC isn't passing Marvel, please support your claim. I was not stating that DC is better, I was stating as of right now, the present, DC has a much healthier pulse than Marvel. Avengers was amazing, but that was a while ago and with Batman and Superman being afterwards, the average person is left remembering the DC franchise, and for those that are somewhat immersed in the comic culture the DC 3D covers created an absolute madhouse. Whether you like it or hate it is irrelevant, people were buying DC not Marvel, I don't have numbers to support that, but I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case.

Whatever you like, DC or Marvel, it's not the point, my point is and was DC is a hotter commodity right now and Marvel needs to answer, Agents of Shield may very well be that answer, but no yet. DC just has a leg up right now.

And maybe this got lost in the last post so let me point it out again so I'm not accused of being bias. I prefer Marvel over DC, always did, I'm not saying this as a fan of DC, but as an observer of what I see and hear.

Both the Avengers and Iron Man 3 made more at the box office than both MOS and DKR.

As for the comics, like you I don't know what the sales figures comparisons are, but if people are buying 3D covers in droves I'm assuming it's buying for the gimmick not for the quality in the pages.