• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

When the reference was made to Longshot trying to sell that trinket (which was slid across the table), did anyone catch the other name that was mentioned? I don't know if they were naming the object or the race from which it came. I know it was a fleeting scene, but it's stuff like that which might be building to a reveal of Marvel U aliens or super weapons.

Where did you get Longshot? The guys name was Vonchat right? The other name was the Chitauri, which was the name of the alien race from the Avengers movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0207691/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4464857/

Interesting... he is from Scotland and she is from northern England.

A shame about their accents...

:whistle:

-slym

Perhaps they are better suited to Downton Abbey. Their accents are horrible. UNLESS YOR A GIT FRIM BEK OON DE OLDE NAYBEERHUD EW RIGHT LERVES WIT MAE KNOCK DAN, OI GUVNAH.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0207691/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4464857/

Interesting... he is from Scotland and she is from northern England.

A shame about their accents...

:whistle:

-slym

Perhaps they are better suited to Downton Abbey. Their accents are horrible. UNLESS YOR A GIT FRIM BEK OON DE OLDE NAYBEERHUD EW RIGHT LERVES WIT MAE KNOCK DAN, OI GUVNAH.

I couldn't translate past "neighborhood" lol

Will this show win any Emmys, no, but I felt that it was a decent enough introduction for the series. I will agree that it was a bit slow, but it seems to me that it was intended to be that way.

From my point of view, this series is working in conjunction with the existing Marvel movies, thus the world is already established. Most of the meat has already been served with Avengers and Iron Man 3. Agents of SHIELD, to me, is the side dish, adding a little more insight to the "rest of the world," while the super heroes are doing their business. I expected a fairly slow, character introducing episode and that is what I got. Personally, I liked the bio/engineer duo and the "hacker," characters. However, I will agree that the lead agent and the "bus driver," are in desperate need of a little charisma. I actually liked the part where Coulson injected Ward with the truth serum. I hope his personality in that moment comes out a bit more. Melinda May, on the other hand, needs a few cocktails to lighten up.

You can not compare this series to Breaking Bad, Mad Men or Game of Thrones. Those series had to establish a world that was yet unknown to the viewer. Yes, GoT already was out in books, but it still had to be done for the non-reader. This pilot was far from perfect, but was it terrible, absolutely not. There is far worse garbage on TV that has seen multiple seasons. I for one will be looking forward to this show each week. I need to watch something while GoT is not on:p

I just mean, their accents are dead-on, and not faked. The thickness of their accent might be horrible, but the accent itself is impeccable.

:foryou:

-slym

Orrrr is their accent really horrible because they can't mask their British English dialect when trying to speak American English on an American TV show where the are trying to be British? hm

MINDBLOWING.gif

You can not compare this series to Breaking Bad, Mad Men or Game of Thrones.

I agree. Those shows are for adults. SHIELD is for the kiddies, hence the 8pm start time. It's a totally different show. Marvel/Disney (ABC) is using this show as a weekly 44 minute promo for the Marvel Universe. Their target audience are kids (before they go to bed), and mainstream audiences that are unfamiliar with the Marvel Universe (while also appeasing current Marvel fans). They hope to attract new $$$$ into their product (movies, comics, toys, etc.) This show is basically a 44 minute commercial for Marvel that will air each week.

It's ingenious, really. Marvel/Disney has a plan to market the Marvel Universe as the stand alone winner for the next 20-100 years, or forever. There really is no competition for Marvel/Disney. Marvel is franchising their universe like a runaway freight train. And the $$$ they stand to make now and in the future is just ridiculous.

Hope you got in on Disney stock years ago. Once they build new Star Wars and Marvel theme parks in the coming decades, they will rule the world.

I also anticipate Disney acquiring all DC properties once DC waves the white flag.

There can be only one! :headbang:

I agree. Those shows are for adults. SHIELD is for the kiddies, hence the 8pm start time. It's a totally different show. Marvel/Disney (ABC) is using this show as a weekly 44 minute promo for the Marvel Universe. Their target audience are kids (before they go to bed), and mainstream audiences that are unfamiliar with the Marvel Universe (while also appeasing current Marvel fans). They hope to attract new $$$$ into their product (movies, comics, toys, etc.) This show is basically a 44 minute commercial for Marvel that will air each week.

It's ingenious, really. Marvel/Disney has a plan to market the Marvel Universe as the stand alone winner for the next 20-100 years, or forever. There really is no competition for Marvel/Disney. Marvel is franchising their universe like a runaway freight train. And the $$$ they stand to make now and in the future is just ridiculous.

Hope you got in on Disney stock years ago. Once they build new Star Wars and Marvel theme parks in the coming decades, they will rule the world.

I also anticipate Disney acquiring all DC properties once DC waves the white flag.

They are showcasing characters that arent in a comic or ones that have toys out? Thats brilliant.

They are showcasing characters that arent in a comic or ones that have toys out? Thats brilliant.

Yes. It is. Maybe they should rest on their laurels and not create new stuff to expand their empire?

You must be thinking of another, far less successful, company. ;)

So I'm just going to say it, I didn't find it all that appealing. It was good, but nothing really grabbed me or pulled me in to the show. I will give it a chance and I try not to judge a show by the trailer.

Lately I'm finding it hard to stay up past 9- I feel old sometimes. I fell asleep before the show ended. That isn't entirely on the show, but as excited as I was it should have pulled me in.

I'll give it another shot, but it needs to do something next episode or I'm moving on.

When the reference was made to Longshot trying to sell that trinket (which was slid across the table), did anyone catch the other name that was mentioned? I don't know if they were naming the object or the race from which it came. I know it was a fleeting scene, but it's stuff like that which might be building to a reveal of Marvel U aliens or super weapons.

Where did you get Longshot? The guys name was Vonchat right? The other name was the Chitauri, which was the name of the alien race from the Avengers movie.

doh!

I guess I was listening so hard for Marvel references that I heard what I wanted to hear. That and the fact that someone in this thread thought they heard the same thing while the show was airing. Oh well.

NEVER saw Coulson with less than a smile on in every scene. Always a

wizeazz, smart cracks etc etc, . And always a grin. I guess I am too old.

I didn't catch many of the "in" references.

doh!

I guess I was listening so hard for Marvel references that I heard what I wanted to hear. That and the fact that someone in this thread thought they heard the same thing while the show was airing. Oh well.

I'm not sure either. It was in Paris. Sounded like Vonchat to me, that "sounds" French. Pretty sure about the Chitauri though.

Just found this after a google search...

In Paris, S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Dumont calls in to Agent Grant Ward to inform him that the Rising Tide have pinned down the location of the package and posted it online. Grant, on a motorcycle, dismounts outside of a restaurant and goes inside, posing as a waiter. His fellow agents direct him to Vonchat, a man wearing a red tie, and Grant takes the man's glass and then captures the fingerprints on it using a scanner built into his tray. He takes the tray-scanner with him to a woman's apartment, breaks in, and scans the walls for a security lock. Grant then uses the stolen fingerprints to open a hidden compartment. He removes a small bag and turns to go, only to find a woman in a bathrobe standing behind him. Two armed men come in and attack Grant, while Dumont calls to warn his fellow agent that hostiles on their way. Meanwhile, the woman dresses and walks casually out. Grant takes out and goes to the roof, and a helicopter carries him away.

Later, Grant meets with his superior, Agent Maria Hill, who asks him what he thinks S.H.I.E.L.D. is. Grant explains that it's the first line of defense against the weird as hands over the item he stole from Vonchat, a Chitauri neural link. He wonders how Rising Tide became more than hackers and Maria explains that the world changed since the Chitauri invasion of New York. When Grant wonders why he was pulled out of Paris, Maria tells him that he'll have to talk to Coulson. Grant says that he knows Coulson is dead... and Coulson steps out of the shadows.