• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

Ive been looking at some Hot Toys figures ( star-lord), do they use cloth for the clothes or are they plastic?

If this is the one you are talking about it is cloth (or some kind of leather). Skip to the 12 minute mark.

When you look at Hot Toys (or any statues/action figures for that matter) I find it helpful to youtube some reviews and unboxings.

People are REALLY good at explaining them, showing you the key features, giving you a good look at the figure, etc.

I do that for every figure I buy now.

Speaking of which, I am going to be pre-ordering the HT Iron Man Mark 3. I think thats the closest to the comic book version.

Also, ordered me the Batman PF! Should be here soon :)

+1 everything said above, and as a general rule, HT uses fabric for clothing, with accessories being hard plastic. Hair is generally sculpted, but there are a few rooted-hair exceptions like Black Widow. Not many, though.

Has anyone ever been disappointed by a statue that looked great in the preliminary stages?

Absolutely. An original hand-painted prototype photographed in the best possible conditions is usually going to look better than when you're holding the factory-manufactured item in your hand. As much as I like Sideshow, they are incredibly hit or miss with their quality control. Sometimes you get a perfect piece, sometimes you get a lot of slop or damage. It's kind of a shoot.

Has anyone ever been disappointed by a statue that looked great in the preliminary stages?

Yes, it's called Sideshow. I kid, not really. You'll encounter this with most companies no matter if you're spending $300 or $2000. I'm just more critical of sideshow since the majority of my statues are from them. I'm excited for new companies like Chronicle and XM. Their QC seems to be better and reminds me of Sideshow before they got really big. Keep in mind companies like XM you're paying for it with their prices and crazy shipping fees. Chronicle on the otherhand seem reasonably priced and so far they're quality looks great.

Edited by AnthaiHERO

Just went to XM's website. WOW! Really like their Widow much better than Sideshow's. Doesn't look like Scar Jo. :D

Yea they're all awesome (except hulk), but unfortunately their Marvel license doesn't allow them to sell directly to the US so you're paying around $300 for shipping. They have a new Top Cow license that they're starting with Witchblade and they'll be able to sell direct.