• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

R
So SST is making another Red Sonja even though they just released an amazing PF last year and it's still in stock? Looks like a beautiful piece, but I wouldn't have thought there was that much demand for the character.

A lot of people were very unhappy with the paint job on the first one (I liked it). But this new one is awesome.

What was the big complaint with the first one? And was it a problem through the entire run, or just some specific statues?

They didn't like the skin tone. I think all of them.

Right, that's what I read as well. Even with that issue, heck maybe even BECAUSE of that issue, I'm really surprised that they're returning to that well so soon.

At any rate, these all look amazing, but it's SDCC, so of course they do. What comes out of the factory may be another issue entirely. Unless it's an exclusive I just have to have (which isn't often anymore) I pretty much take a wait and see approach on SST's PF's anymore. (Except for the Daredevil which I went ahead and ordered blind, for which I'm being rewarded with multiple delays. Gotta love Sideshow!)

The main problem isn't that the piece is bad as-is, just that it differs from the proto significantly in terms of how her skin was colored. Lots of of people still like it, and it was a good seller for Sideshow. The reason the issue was blown up was because, like this Red Sonja, the last one was the star of SDCC 2013 and the hype/expectations were sky high. Take all that out of the equation, and the piece as-is is still a very nice premium format.

Agreed 100%, I think it's still a very nice piece. And I also understand why folks might have been disappointed in comparison with the proto pics (I vividly remember seeing the RS pics at the same time as the Hellboy PF pics, and just about crapping my pants). It was a drool-worthy proto. But for a mass-produced piece, I think the finished product is still very nice.

I'll end up buying this one as well, I was just surprised to see them go back to RS so soon.

anybody here collect Bowen Designs statues?

Personally I think Bowens are the best :)

I have several Bowens. They are cool. I prefer the Sideshow Premium series if I had to compare but Bowen was nice.

Aren't they done now?

I have a bunch of the Bowen mini-busts, but I wouldn't say I really collect them. I buy the ones I really like, especially since you can get a lot of them for under $50 a piece.

Maybe I'm lucky because I never viewed the prototype. I really like it. It is on my list to get. Just debating between the regular or ex.

Go with the EX. I rarely care about exclusives all that much, but this is an exception. It adds a lot to the piece. Also, it's a good time to hunt one down, as there will be people trying to move theirs in the next few months.

Maybe I'm lucky because I never viewed the prototype. I really like it. It is on my list to get. Just debating between the regular or ex.

Go with the EX. I rarely care about exclusives all that much, but this is an exception. It adds a lot to the piece. Also, it's a good time to hunt one down, as there will be people trying to move theirs in the next few months.

Good point. Thoughts on best place to buy? EBay?

Good point. Thoughts on best place to buy? EBay?

Ebay is the only place I personally look for sold out statues, but I know that people do business on the forums and facebook groups too, so that might work. I like Ebay because of the purchase protection.

What is that necro-fantasy line of statues? Are they from some film or just original designs, or...? ???

There seems to be quite a few figures in the line and I couldn't tell much from their placards.

sdcc2015_sideshow_152.jpg

sdcc2015_sideshow_148.jpg

I just checked some of the plaques and the figures come from some unknown to me series called Court of the Dead. Can not imagine that they would sell many premium format statues of an obscure series.

http://courtofthedead.com/

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/court-of-the-dead/?gclid=CLPap7rr0MYCFYlafgodNXsElA

What is that necro-fantasy line of statues? Are they from some film or just original designs, or...? ???

There seems to be quite a few figures in the line and I couldn't tell much from their placards.

Court of the Dead is an original creation by Sideshow. They're a line of original horror/fantasy statues that they're building a brand around with backstories for the characters, comics, art prints, and lots of other stuff.

I just checked some of the plaques and the figures come from some unknown to me series called Court of the Dead. Can not imagine that they would sell many premium format statues of an obscure series.

They've done well selling original creations in the past. If the quality is there, people will buy them. Lots of people were on board and ready to commit to the entire line when they debuted at last year's SDCC, but the pieces are taking forever to come out. Still, if future releases come out like the prototypes, people will get back on board.

They've done well selling original creations in the past. If the quality is there, people will buy them. Lots of people were on board and ready to commit to the entire line when they debuted at last year's SDCC, but the pieces are taking forever to come out. Still, if future releases come out like the prototypes, people will get back on board.

Yup, they look really nice. I've been debating picking up the Queen of the Dead piece for awhile now, but I only have so much display space and cash. Waiting to see if she maybe gets cheaper during Spooktacular.

Case in point, their dinosaur line.