• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

:o Darkseid

902248-darkseid-001.jpg

902248-darkseid-005.jpg

One of the Best Darkseid designs I have ever seen and by far one of the best statues I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a HUGE Darkseid fan and this piece just seems "off" to me.

It has a very strong "anime" style to it. And honestly, if it weren't labeled I'm not sure I would recognize it as Darkseid. It could be any manga/anime fantasy character. (what's that big red Jewel in his chest anyway?)

:o Darkseid

902248-darkseid-001.jpg

902248-darkseid-005.jpg

One of the Best Darkseid designs I have ever seen and by far one of the best statues I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a HUGE Darkseid fan and this piece just seems "off" to me.

It has a very strong "anime" style to it. And honestly, if it weren't labeled I'm not sure I would recognize it as Darkseid. It could be any manga/anime fantasy character. (what's that big red Jewel in his chest anyway?)

This is by a Japanese toy company called "Play Arts Kai", so it very well may be anime inspired. Sideshow distributes some of their product.

This is by a Japanese toy company called "Play Arts Kai", so it very well may be anime inspired. Sideshow distributes some of their product.

Some sandpaper, paint and about five minutes it could be crashed into a unique Iron Man armor. That's what I see looking at the figures proportions and armor styling details. Look at the waistline and especially the feet. It's like a form-fitting exoskeleton.

Darkseid traditionally is a massively thick bodytype, a Hulk-ish blockheaded hamfisted brute.

Yeah I'm not digging the Darkseid to much.
Looking more at that Play Arts line, I think they're meant to be hyper-stylized alternative "variant" imaginings of DC characters. One of those "eye of the beholder" lines people either love instantly or wonder wtf?

Check out The Flash sculpt and it leaps out at you.

902115-product-thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if official "Style Guides" for Licensees are a thing of the past. With all the deformed, pop, bobblehead, anime, bombshells and such appearing, character copyright holders may be expanding into every 'collector' toy, doll, statue and figure market possible. No limits, style away and lets see what you got. If you can sell it, we're in.

mBf40TRefyHQN-bshdYDh2Q.jpg

Not the best picture, but here is my updated Frazetta collection. Upon further inspection the Death Dealer I just picked up has some issues. The top spike on his helmet is broken off. For the price I paid I can't complain. I'm also close to having all of the plastic figurines they put out.

frazettastatues.jpg

Edited by wombat

Did anyone have any success with sideshows wait list? I'm on a wait list for one of the hulk statues and didn't know what the odds were that I'd actually get one

That's a great question!

There's a statue I want and there is a waiting list however I don't know if it's worth it to be stuck in limbo.

Anyone have an answer for the success rate?

I have had success a couple of times with WL conversions. Hasn't happened every time, but it does occasionally come through. I think it has a lot to do with how soon you get on the WL. The two (or three?) times I've converted were on items that I immediately signed up for the WL when I realized the item had just sold out. WL reservations I've submitted, say, several days or weeks later, have generally not come through.

But it never hurts to try. It's definitely not unusual for an item to start converting (or even come back "In Stock") once they arrive and start charging folks, as a lot of collectors who have bigger eyes than their wallets can afford will find their cards decline, and their orders cancelled after a week.

You have nothing to lose by trying. Good luck!

Did anyone have any success with sideshows wait list? I'm on a wait list for one of the hulk statues and didn't know what the odds were that I'd actually get one

That's a great question!

There's a statue I want and there is a waiting list however I don't know if it's worth it to be stuck in limbo.

Anyone have an answer for the success rate?

I had a Harley Quinn EX wait list conversion, They do happen but I wouldn't count on it.